• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Could F1 return to Adelaide?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Bethonie Waring, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Bethonie Waring

Bethonie Waring
    Premium

Ratings:
    +269
    return adelaide.jpg Melbourne is currently contracted to be hosting the Australian GP until 2023, but what about afterwards? Well, the Adelaide City Council wants to bring the race back to the historic circuit.

The circuit has seen wins from the likes of Ayrton Senna and Keke Rosberg, and a shortened version of the track is used for the Supercars season opener, but Adelaide hasn’t held a Formula One race since 1995.

The city council have now made a formal request for the South Australian Tourism Minister to look into the viability of a bid to host the race again.

“There’s certain nostalgia that the grand prix brings and I think everyone in the room is old enough to remember the halcyon days so I’m glad that the council will write to the State Government and at least indicate that we’d like this to be explored,” said councillor Alex Antic.

“We’d just like to see the State Government take the steps to see if it is viable and whether a pitch could be made.”

So, will it happen? Judging by tourism minister Leon Bignell’s comments, probably not.

“If [Adelaide] want the Grand Prix, how about they put in some money so we can get the grandstands up a bit quicker, which will make their ratepayers happy,” he said.

“They are big on complaining, but not putting their hands in their pockets to help their ratepayers. We’re not interested in [the Grand Prix].”

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Would you like to see a return to Adelaide? What old circuits would you like to see back on the calendar? Let us know in the comments below!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Matthew Booth

Matthew Booth

Ratings:
    +2,684
    I'd like it back but can't see it somehow. Weirdly miss Aida that was a cool place & Buenos Aries :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    Administrator Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +16,617
    Literally any Australian race track is a more exiting venue than Albert Park in my opinion. Don't like it one bit.

Seeing the legendary Adelaide back would be awesome.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  4. samcar304

samcar304
    Premium

Ratings:
    +344
    I hope not.... Whilst Adelaide is undoubtedly an awesome track i don't think it would suit these new high downforce cars very well...

5. samcar304

samcar304
    Premium

Ratings:
    +344
    Yeah, if i am thinking right Aida is Okayama? If So Okayama is a great track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rob

Rob
    Premium

Ratings:
    +3,088
    Australia has some of the finest tracks that nobody knows about, except for Albert Park, of course. Aida is a fast and flowing. A great track. Second best outside of Bathurst. Good thing I'm not in charge of F1, because they'd be racing at at Mt. Panorama.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Fabian Biehne

Fabian Biehne
    Premium

Ratings:
    +506
    Yes, please!
    Always loved that track since I started watching F1 in the early 90s.

8. samcar304

samcar304
    Premium

Ratings:
    +344
    Yeah Eastern Creek is another awesome track! Toca Racedriver flashbacks....

9. Tom Blackett

Tom Blackett

Ratings:
    +97
    Bring it on! Although they will have to rip the track to pieces and redesign as those high curbs Vers f1 cars are a recipe for disaster, ask Häkkinen.

10. Cheesenium

Cheesenium

Ratings:
    +26
    I had been to Clipsal 500 and Adelaide Speed Festival a couple of times, I do love to see Adelaide hosting F1 again.Still, seeing how Clipsal 500 is today with Aus GT, VASC, Trophy Trucks and so on, I do not think it is a shame that Adelaide lost it's F1 to Melbourne.

Still, I think nothing will beat the sight of seeing a Ferrari 641 and a Leighton House F1 racing on the circuit. The sound of those legendary open wheels is unforgettable for me.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Stiggy

Stiggy
    Premium

Ratings:
    +145
    I'm not quite sure about that...
    [​IMG]

• Haha Haha x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Nick Hill

Nick Hill
    Premium

Ratings:
    +201
    Hell, do 'em both. The Aussies support the hell out of the race they already have - give them another!
    The fact that it would be at an all time classic track would be the icing on the cake.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. smasha

smasha

Ratings:
    +48
    I'm a Melbournian and I even think the Melbourne Grand Prix is a bit hohum.
    Every Australian would put Bathurst first I am assuming.

14. Duke55

Duke55
    Premium

Ratings:
    +29
    The Phillip Island Circuit would be about the only place in Australia that would come close to the requirements of the FIA, And then it'd probably still need to be resurfaced and require a major overhaul of the Pits. It'd be a a fantastic high speed circuit if it ever happen though, and we'd see some great racing if the parity ever come back with the teams as well.

But unfortunately, Adelaide has had it's day and would never meet the modern day requirements.

• Like Like x 2
  15. OzAndy

OzAndy
    Premium

Ratings:
    +89
    Having seen most of the races here, I would say it could return if treated the same way Monaco is ... very little or no run off areas, and adapting driving strategies to suit a street circuit. Definitely redesign and use a "Safer barrier" around Brewery Bend, but seeing F1s tackle the Senna Chicane, and smoke Brabham Straight would be fantastic.
    Main trouble is not the track, but politicians. It became a political football back in 1994 ; "cost too much, people not interested blah blah blah" (Clipsal 500 had it this year too) , and Bernie took his bat and ball, and ran off to Melbourne ...
    Schmacher in 1996: "Melbourne is nothing more than a glorified go-kart track"
    Even though we're a third of Melbourne's population (1.2mil) , 210,000 on race day is still a brilliant crowd figure, and put a lie to the then opposition politicians' line.
    Be nice to see it return ... but foresight and leadership aren't qualities that abound in the present crop of pollies!

16. Chris

Chris
    Administrator Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +5,820
    Assuming bathurst isn't possible, my vote would be for Philip Island. I'm not sure adelaide would suit the current cars, but I could be wrong. Philip Island is so fast and so flowing, It'd be fantastic for a GP imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Footwork84

Footwork84
    If it'is not existing, it doesn't break. Premium

Ratings:
    +48
    Consider also that the technical situation could change from 2023 on.

18. Peter Kerényi

Peter Kerényi

Ratings:
    +135
    Guys, we are simracers right? So many doubts whether Adelaide would suit the cars, AMS with the Formula Extreme would be quite a good benchmark in my opinion (until Reiza comes out with the new regs car, or maybe one can find the track for AC's Formula Hybrid, created legally or not)... just try it :D

On a side note I am 21, since I remember F1 the Aussie GP has always been in Albert Park. So naturally I can't miss Adelaide.

Edit: Just tried it with the Extreme, the combo is not a lot of fun with the modern version (except for the chicane and the fast bend, those are fun :)), and the lap would be too short for F1 standards. Even more so with this year's car...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk
    Reiza Studios

Ratings:
    +999
    As I understand it's just some silly noises from politicians, SA doesn't have the money to host it.

Well the article basically says that.

As for the old GP layout, T7/8 don't exist in their old form anymore for a start.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  20. Sky

Sky

Ratings:
    +149
    Eastern creek or whatever the current name is would probably require the least ruining to get up to f1 'standards'.