Comparisons between GFX adjustments GTX 970

Msportdan

@Simberia
Having had a bit of conversation regarding gfx ini tweaks and the like.

I decided to showcase examples of changes to GSC through various methods. Captured at the same 2 light point for accuracy, 7pm ai ring, 21 AI, maxed gfx in game, apart high shadows, 1080p)

Points of mention:
- x8 AA looks the same as x4 AA through NVidia CP (to me)
- No difference of fps using NVidia CP
- Crowds in stand on far left different with NVidia CP as is texture shading on floor next to right wheel (what setting could be this?)
- No difference with Config tweak

Vanilla:
jrsjdk.jpg

No Antaliasing:
2qd5tea.jpg

Sweetfx dll added (applied herein):
157c3tx.jpg

Shader set to quality in GSC (applied herein)::
c3g5g.jpg

GSC config tweaks (cpu/obj set to 5, mem adjusted etc):
qz4srb.jpg

Max setting (aprx) set through Nvidia manage 3d setting:
6pasmc.jpg

DSR x4.0, smoothing 50%, AAx4 set through Nvidia manage 3d setting:
2u4hukl.jpg

DSR x4.0, smoothing 50%, AAx4 set through Nvidia manage 3d setting, in game dpi 3840:
15hlrn.jpg

Last edited:
For me, best results so far are 4xMSAA+4xSGSSAA / 16xAF. The image quality is unreal with these settings. Yes, the fps in replays tank but I can accept that. I think that's to do with the lod multiplier in the cam files, the track multipliers are a lot higher than the standard cockpit cameras. I've actually upped the lod multipliers for the cars I mainly use to prevent other cars from disappearing ahead of me down the straights. Even though I've done this, I get a solid 60fps from the cockpit with these settings.

yeah that's what I mean.... I know everyone says go for the i5 because the i7 will NEVER use all of its capacity, but surely down the line games will get better and will need more power.
My understanding is that the only real difference is that i7 has 8 cores compared to i5 with 4 cores. But games don't use more than 4 cores efficiently. So it's better to get a good 4 core now, then in a couple years get another 4 core which will be much faster per core, rather than spending extra now on an 8 core.

My understanding is that the only real difference is that i7 has 8 cores compared to i5 with 4 cores. But games don't use more than 4 cores efficiently. So it's better to get a good 4 core now, then in a couple years get another 4 core which will be much faster per core, rather than spending extra now on an 8 core.
This would be my advice too.

Plus, if you consider that the 'next-gen' consoles aren't exactly pushing the boundaries (no better than a mid-range PC) then, in general, I think an i5 CPU will be fit for purpose for some time yet.

If money is no object then, of course, get an i7.

For me, best results so far are 4xMSAA+4xSGSSAA / 16xAF. The image quality is unreal with these settings. Yes, the fps in replays tank but I can accept that. I think that's to do with the lod multiplier in the cam files, the track multipliers are a lot higher than the standard cockpit cameras.
Very much this. The game looks as smooth as anything, barely a jaggy in sight.

I had a lot of joy with 4xMSAA+4xSGSSAA on rF2 but as you say, it is quite demanding on the GPU. You have a lot more FPS headroom with GSC. If only the replays could be optimised to run better.

I played around with some other settings. DSR x2 (2715x1527) 33% smoothing, 4xMSAA/16xAF along with the clamping dll. IQ is just as good as 4xMSAA+4xSGSS but with better performance, especially in replays. The 33% smoothing is required in my opinion though as text becomes slightly unreadable without it. I also don't mind a slight blurring if it helps with jaggies. Replays were watchable with these settings, mostly 60fps with a few dips, only tanking when plenty of cars were visible at the same time.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back