Community Questions | Best Console Racing Title?

Personally for me it is and always will be Gran Turismo 4. The sheer car roster, tracks and for the time graphics will stick in my mind. Heck, I went and bought a brand new PS2 at the time just to get it in the bundle. Even all these years later I have the PS2 and still boot up and have fun in GT4.
Too bad my PS2 cant read GT4 anymore (can't play DVD's either)

For me it's Gran Turismo 3, that game was a quantum shift in terms of how good a racing game could look, such a step up. I bought a PS2 just for GT3 and had nothing to play really (some robot game) until GT3 was finally released. I didn't care about the lack of cars because each one looked so much better than previous gen. I bought a gamepod (still use it!) and the GT logitech wheel...good times. Never clicked with GT4, too much understeer.

I have had a PS4 pro with Fanatec CSL Elite for 2 years (now on PC).

Best Sim experience: Assetto Corsa
Best rally game: Dirt Rally 2.0
Best online racing experience: GT Sport
Best content: Project Cars 2

GT Sport and Dirt Rally 2.0.
ACC is my favourite sim on PC but I'm not sure if it also will be my favourite on PS4 when it comes. Still cannot believe that consoles will manage to run it with something better than 30FPS and low to mid settings.

I liked GT4 on PS2, then GT5 and 6 on PS3, GT sport looks very good visually, but is missing something, and there are cars in the GT class that seem very unrealistic, or simply don,t exist, I thought steering not realistich in some classes. PC2 and F1 are no match for the PC on the console either. So I sold the PS4 pro, I've had all the playstations. Nothing beats the pc,
Rf2, ACC and RRoom

for me it has to be GT5 Prologue then the full version, on the PS3. Bought the console and the game when I arrived in Japan 13yrs ago and a Logitech DFGT to compliment the lot.The amount of hours I spent on this game was just insane

I forgot to mention in my previous comment - has anyone played the latest GRID title yet? Is it fun and satisfying to play? Curious about it but don't want to end up with a shallow experience if it's too simple (without wanting to sound elitist)!!

Big shout out to retro racers too - been racing since Spectrum +2 days throughout! Gotta love the classics like Outrun, Enduro Racer, Super Hang On, WEC Le Mans, Buggy Boy, and my favourite, Hard Drivin' !!!

I don't wanna set the internet on fire, BUT LET IT BURN!

The best console racing title was DRIVECLUB! Sony bought Evolution Studios so they would kill off the franchise, making way for they're then unfished GT Sport. When it came to console racing being simcade that is, DriveClub had the best sounds, best graphics, best race lobby (now GT Sport), best handling when it came to a simcade. And to top it off, when it came to VR they didn't hold back. It was so immersive that the sensation of speed was so real on a still standing body that it caused nausea to VR newbies!
But development was halted after Sony acquired Evolution Studios, this was one of the earliest forms of cancel culture. After a couple of months they thanked us and bid farewell leaving the cryptic R34 Skyline behind as the last update. Gt Sport was released after e few months, it was SOLD in a VR bundle!!! But game has a VR mode, a very small portion with only one weak Ai opponent, the rest was not in VR! And still today compared to DriveClub, Gt Sport handling is asinine! Only the ones that got used to it could make the best of it, as I did. But it made me a struggling sim driver.

DriveClub had Poliphony truly losing at it's favorite game...

i played diveclub some months ago. it was ok but not great. it felt like a delayed attempt from sony to copy the glorious project gotham racing series.

it had nothing special besides the stunning graphics, too bad it didnt even survive this console generation.

Best console racing game made so far is Forza Horizon 4. There's just so much to do, so many ways to play, great gfx, great physics, just massive fun. FFB is a definite let down but the rest of the game is just so good.

Other faves over the years:

auto drift style:
NFS: Hot Pursuit (later one) - surprisingly fun with FFB wheel. I turned my seq shifter into up for nitro/down for handbrake :D
Sega Rally on dreamcast
Rage Racer (aka ridge racer 3) - PSX
Outrun Coast 2 Coast - xbox one I think?
auto modellista - PS2 - deserves honorable mention for visual style

arcade action racing:
Motorstorm Apocalypse - PS3 (amazing w FFB wheel, just so fun)
Midnight Club LA - PS3 - big map, great car selection, fun arcade racing, and hands down the best wheel/rim customization options to date. Control offset, profile, paint on each part, etc. Meanwhile FM couldn't paint wheels white for over a decade XD
Wipeout XL/2097 - PS1 (latest HD collection is def worth it tho, it's still good)
Hydro Thunder - DC
Burnout 1 - 3 - gamecube, PS2/xbox
Flatout series
San Francisco Rush - DC
4 Wheel Thunder - DC

sim style:
GT series (GT sport needs more cars & career tho).
Dirt 2 - PS3
F355 Challenge - DC

and honestly we should mention GTA V. Although not a pure driving/racing game, you can have some solid racing action in there, car customization, etc along with anything else you want to do. extraordinary technical achievement in that game.

/thread

All xBox I bought was only for playing Forza series. Not bad.
All Playstation I bough was only for playing Gran Turismo series. Good.
Mostly, i'm a PC player.

Best titlle therefore, is for PS and is, GTsport .

It's gotten so much better with a wheel, but it's still pretty bad imo. Yet, when you play with a controller... Forza is the most fun console racing game that could still be counted as "sim". What it needs from GT Sport is the controller motion steering. Best motion steering in any game so far, yet it's wasted on that games once-you-lose-traction-you're-not-getting-any-grip-ever-again tire model... (not to mention GTS's no-oversteer-under-braking-EVER policy).

I drove all the GranTurismo till GT Sport on PS4. Bought even the PVR only to realize it would only work in arcade mode against one car. That triggered a research on google and I discovered there was another hidden world from me. Downloaded PC2 and then AC... that was it! AC was something from another planet.
And there it started going downhill.... ;-)

i played diveclub some months ago. it was ok but not great. it felt like a delayed attempt from sony to copy the glorious project gotham racing series.

it had nothing special besides the stunning graphics, too bad it didnt even survive this console generation.
Not Sony but Evolution Studios, Sony bought Evolution Studios in 2016 and canned the project. So GT Sport could have a smooth unfinished launch. You tried it first time in 2019/2020 imagine it's release in 2014?

Wondering how ACC will run on current gen consoles. I'm guessing it must be 30 fps lock? Honestly, I have hard time seeing how it would run properly in anything other than the upcoming new gen of consoles. Maybe I'm biased because of being PC gamer, but 30 fps is not enough for a racing title. For strategy maybe
Put a few setting down and it ca run great in 60fps. Consoles can handle large amounts of 3D data.
They have very fast unified memory, so no need for bringing data from one part of the system to another.
Windows is not the greatest OS for gaming. So many background tasks going on.

I forgot to mention in my previous comment - has anyone played the latest GRID title yet? Is it fun and satisfying to play? Curious about it but don't want to end up with a shallow experience if it's too simple (without wanting to sound elitist)!!

It is a game that is too expensive for any amount, it is a cheap successor to Grid motorsport which I think is much better, it is graphically slightly better, and they have added rain. My grandson likes it. I hate the interface of all codemaster games.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.