Community Questions | Best Console Racing Title?

Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit is a personal favourite (back in the day, Not now)

Sims don't work on console, at least not yet.

Gran Turismo isn't something I consider a sim, But its influence and level of engagement probably outweighs all the sim games we have ever seen on the PC combined.

Forza series to me just feels weird, half baked and misguided, Untill the Hozizen series, which while initially enjoyable, The douche-bag focus sooon wears thin.

Last edited:
Impossible for me to pick just one game. I think the Forza Horizon series and especially 3 & 4 really capture car culture and entertainment perfectly in the same way Top Gear did on TV, the sheer range of racing and driving events is impressive. The Horizon games are the modern version of bedroom wall posters and the car-based TV shows we grew up with. Hotwheels and Lego packs! For that reason, I think they match consoles perfectly, easy to pick up and play for anyone and surprisingly challenging against other good players. It's also worth remembering that Test Drive Unlimited was the real pioneer of the open-world car game, Horizon just refined that.

So many other great games over the years deserve equal mention:

Gran Turismo - those licence tests and buying used cars from the lot.

Colin McRae Rally games - chasing those leaderboard times, so much fun.

WipEout - incredible speed, few can match the adrenaline even today.

Need for Speed - the Autolog where friends times and new challenges would pop up on screen and when you logged in changed almost all racing games afterwards and added so much more competitive fun.

Forza Motorsport series for putting tuning, modifying, car setup and sometimes decent online racing (variable though because the lego brick barriers to enforce track limits were the worst thing they ever did). They drifted the series more towards Horizon and then eventually Turn 10 started to listen and have improved FM7 massively as a result, it's still in the balance to see if they can create something really special with the next iteration.

F1 series for the career mode and including all the real flags and rules of the sport, great on-screen hud to allow access to all the car options.

Wreckfest - ultimately I think Wreckfest is the game that is best matched to console, it's how the majority of console players play most racing games, online lobbies are usually a wrecking competition anyway, at least with Wreckfest that is exactly how it's meant to be. We've had a ton of fun dishing out plenty of car punishment!

Gran Turismo - for surprisingly good if silly racing and those mickey-taking names of the cars.

I'd love a modern remake of Chase HQ too, no one has done that yet!

I've probably missed as many other games that had an influence over the years too, all I know for sure is we've had a huge amount of fun with some racing amazing games!

I guess ACC will do fine if it can reach and hold a 30 fps lock. Wreckfest is locked to 30 fps too on consoles, people seem okay with it.

Not me, I was keen for wreckfest on the console as I figured it would be a good fit. The FPS ruined it for me, It was less then 30fps depending on what was happening. Just a horrible experience after playing the game on PC.

To actually reply the question of the thread.. (after posting 2 times already):

For me it was NFS Most Wanted 2005. But I haven't played on consoles in ages. Now I would probably say AC, although haven't tested on console

I love me replays and Gran turismo does em best so I'm going with that, after I'd bought a ps4 and GT Sport at Christmas time I also kinda wished I'd bought an Xbox One for FH4 , driving about Edinburgh sounds like great fun too me as it's local :)

Maybe GT Sport. Playing most time at PC, but I tried 1 time GT Sport with a controller (at my friend's house) and had a lot of fun. Seriously, GT series have good games. Maybe should tell AC, but on console, without modding, it lacks of content. Honorable mention to PC2

The Colin McRae Rally series is some of the best fun I’ve had on consoles, all the way up to Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally 2.0 although I can’t play those anymore on console as I’ve spoiled myself with a wheel on PC :roflmao:

I don't wanna set the internet on fire, BUT LET IT BURN!

The best console racing title was DRIVECLUB! Sony bought Evolution Studios so they would kill off the franchise, making way for they're then unfished GT Sport. When it came to console racing being simcade that is, DriveClub had the best sounds, best graphics, best race lobby (now GT Sport), best handling when it came to a simcade. And to top it off, when it came to VR they didn't hold back. It was so immersive that the sensation of speed was so real on a still standing body that it caused nausea to VR newbies!
But development was halted after Sony acquired Evolution Studios, this was one of the earliest forms of cancel culture. After a couple of months they thanked us and bid farewell leaving the cryptic R34 Skyline behind as the last update. Gt Sport was released after e few months, it was SOLD in a VR bundle!!! But game has a VR mode, a very small portion with only one weak Ai opponent, the rest was not in VR! And still today compared to DriveClub, Gt Sport handling is asinine! Only the ones that got used to it could make the best of it, as I did. But it made me a struggling sim driver.

DriveClub had Poliphony truly losing at it's favorite game...

As an ex-pc-sim racer where Raceroom was my preferred title (having for me the best balance of realism and fun and great FFB) I'm currently stuck with just a PS4 (Pro) and a Logitech G29. Right now I'm still assessing all mainstream console titles and so far have concluded...(in order from least to most favourite)

Project Cars 2 - Was initially a contender for my best all-rounder (slightly more sim-like than say GT Sport, great tracks - especially all UK ones) but sub-par FFB and unrealistic physics and handling ruin the experience.

F1 2019 - Decent but just doesn't hold my attention for long due to being a touch simcadey.

GT Sport - Good solid fun but basic physics and handling (everywhere feels literally flat no matter how much variance of height present). Worth a blast just once in a while.

DiRT Rally 1&2: Barely played them, but seems to be great and a rare sim-like experience on consoles. Perhaps an under-appreciated form of racing which really deserves more attention.

Assetto Corsa - Just tried this week and the best FFB, physics and handling so far by a significant margin, but AI is extremely inconsistent (speed in qualy vs race) plus some seeming rubber-banding and crashing too much. Too few tracks also. Still prefer quality of experience over quantity, and driving feel over anything else, so my no.1 game for now.

Honourable mentions goes to Wipeout Omega Collection (always fun and really should play more often), IOM TT (admittedly prefer the PS2 game way more, so want to check out the sequel on PS4 as it's supposed to be better / more fun) and the Trials games for a casual laugh. Other than wanting Wreckfest at some point, currently unaware of any other decent titles on PS4(?)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.