F1 2010 Catalunya - Spain (Dry)

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi Viktor, i'm a huge fan of your set-ups but i race 50% races with fuel and tyre wear etc. The problem I have is that whilst really quick they are seriously (for me anyway) heavy on the tyres. Can you give me any suggestions for keeping the pace whilst reducing tyre wear without ruining the balance?

Many thanks

Hi Viktor, i'm a huge fan of your set-ups but i race 50% races with fuel and tyre wear etc. The problem I have is that whilst really quick they are seriously (for me anyway) heavy on the tyres. Can you give me any suggestions for keeping the pace whilst reducing tyre wear without ruining the balance?

Many thanks

No sry I have much tyre wear too :). But I think faster setups with abit more wear is better than slower and less wear.

This setup for the BMW Sauber. I can get consistent 1:22.xxx with this in TT, no assists. Which might not seem great until you recall this is the Sauber, not the McLaren most people are using.

Aerodynamics
Front Wing Angle: 11
Rear Wing Angle: 1

Braking
Balance: F 50% - R 50%
Pressure: High
Brake Size: Small

Balance
Ballast Distribution: F 50% - R 50%
Front Anti-roll Bar: 11
Rear Anti-roll Bar: 11

Suspension
Front Ride Height: 1
Rear Ride Height: 1
Front Spring Stiffness: 6
Rear Spring Stiffness: 1

Gearbox
Gear 1: 127 kph
Gear 2: 157 kph
Gear 3: 188 kph
Gear 4: 219 kph
Gear 5: 254 kph
Gear 6: 292 kph
Gear 7: 335 kph​

Engine
Throttle map: Fast

Alignment
Camber front: -1.50
Camber rear: -2.50
Toe front: 0.10
Toe rear: 0.20

I'm having serious problems with this track. I've got F1 2010 for the Xbox and I race on the normal bog standard Xbox controller. I've played many racing games and I always race with driver aids off and hardest difficulty to get the most rewarding experience. But at Cataluyna on F1 2010 my patience has snapped. I've used every setup on this thread (Especially victor's) and I'm struggling to break below the 1:26's. I'm racing in my first season with Team Lotus, I've scored points at Kuala Lumpur finishing 7th in torrential rain, and came 11th in the Melbourne and Chinese GP. I'm very good at this game, but Cataluyna is just silly, I can describe the issues with the car at great lengths but I'll shorten it.

Firstly just after I've released the brakes and feather the throttle to get round the corner, I find as soon as I've let go of the brake to turn in the car wants to spin round every single time, especially on turns 1, 4, 10, 13 and 15. Now I've shifted the brake balance as far back forward as I dare and the car still wants to go around. I've learnt to deal with this problem by braking, coasting then turning but that seriously brings down my lap times. It usually wants to snap round on me everytime I shift down to 2nd gear on corners which I think need it, so I'm taking many slow speed corners apart from the hairpin (Turn 10) in 3rd gear which isn't optimal. Like I've said I've quilified 12 on the grid which was an amazing lap but I'm lacking consistancy in the race with the car always wanting to spin around, I'd like a setup which is virtually on the edge of grip but is stable enough to not cause it to spin round on my in the braking stage of many corners around cataluyna.

Comments and advice is thoroughly welcomed, needed to get this off my chest! XD

Yes I have come to the conclusion that Catalunya is impossible to win with legend AI and expert mode, even if you run on primes from pole and make a 20+ second gap after the front runners have pit and race perfectly with minimul mistakes you still come about 40 seconds behind P1 after you pit..... It simply makes no sense, I just put my car into the nearest wall and skip this track.

Also thanks Viktor for the setup I got a 1:19.3xx using controller and if it wasn't for the misses walking infront of the tv I could have beat that time :( losing a lot of time in sector 3 though, cant seem to negotiate that nasty chicane.

Well it seems the tables have turned. I'm churning out constant 1:25's on the prime tyre during the first practice session (I went onto GP to just do that race to simulate fuel and tyres since I know what the weather is going to be for the race on carrer mode. I did a 1:24.764 on a prime tyre around 78% worn thanks to reading a guide on the mechanics of F1 2010. I have much more downforce on the rear of the car, raised the ride hieght abit and softer suspension with average Camber and slightly toe in on the front.

Essentially what I did was take an engineers quick setup with a little oversteer and tweaked it abit. I'll post my final tune and tips on how to tackle Cataluyna on the hardest difficulty with no driving aids later. (I'm doing times on the prime tyre because for more than 2/3rds of the race I'll be on the Prime tyre) I'm talking more about race pace more than hot lap pace. I know for certain I wont get the finish target I was set at finishing 12th but I'm damn well gunna try my hardest! XD

Well it seems the tables have turned. I'm churning out constant 1:25's on the prime tyre during the first practice session (I went onto GP to just do that race to simulate fuel and tyres since I know what the weather is going to be for the race on carrer mode. I did a 1:24.764 on a prime tyre around 78% worn thanks to reading a guide on the mechanics of F1 2010. I have much more downforce on the rear of the car, raised the ride hieght abit and softer suspension with average Camber and slightly toe in on the front.

Essentially what I did was take an engineers quick setup with a little oversteer and tweaked it abit. I'll post my final tune and tips on how to tackle Cataluyna on the hardest difficulty with no driving aids later. (I'm doing times on the prime tyre because for more than 2/3rds of the race I'll be on the Prime tyre) I'm talking more about race pace more than hot lap pace. I know for certain I wont get the finish target I was set at finishing 12th but I'm damn well gunna try my hardest! XD

Good luck with catalunya on legend AI, just accept the fact that it's impossible though ;)

Good luck with catalunya on legend AI, just accept the fact that it's impossible though ;)

In a Lotus maybe, got a 1:23.695 on the option tire at the end of P1 which put me in 7th place, gunna keep tweaking the setup as the track gets more rubbered in, the times are going to fall, there just seems to be abit more understeer when the tires are at their peak grip suggesting I need to do something with the setup. But I don't want to tweak too much for Option tires, like I said the Prime tyre is the priority and so far the setup is not only fast and stable, it's also consistent.

In a Lotus maybe, got a 1:23.695 on the option tire at the end of P1 which put me in 7th place, gunna keep tweaking the setup as the track gets more rubbered in, the times are going to fall, there just seems to be abit more understeer when the tires are at their peak grip suggesting I need to do something with the setup. But I don't want to tweak too much for Option tires, like I said the Prime tyre is the priority and so far the setup is not only fast and stable, it's also consistent.

Well if you find a good setup that works and can keep you on or close to the AI race pace, post it up here if you don't mind sharing :)

Well if you find a good setup that works and can keep you on or close to the AI race pace, post it up here if you don't mind sharing :)

Don't worry I will at some point, maybe Thursday when I have a day off. Many of these setups posted on here are all Time Trial setups which are only good for the 1 lap magic when the car is always at it's lightest, tyres are constantly in the best nick and the track is fully rubbered in, thats why in Carrer you'll get no-where near 1:19.xxx's. It's all about race pace which the McLarens this year are starting to prove! XD

Hi Guys, This is my first post here so go easy! I am in my first season at Catalunya and am really struggling. I am in a 7 year career driving a Lotus with a PS3 controller but the car is a nightmare to drive and I am well off the pace. At this point in time, I am struggling to set a time below the 1:30's whilst Webber and Vettel are in the 1:25's. My engineer is advising that my first sector time is fine, but I am losing time in the second and third sectors. I found Viktor's car setup on the earlier pages but it feels ill suited to the Lotus. I would appreciate any advice or guidance you can provide.

Redbull, legend mode, all aids off, full sim apart from fuel sim as AI cars not fuel affected.
Car is very slightly slower than AI mclaren down main straight but slightly faster through sector 2 and 3.
Managed pole and then won by 1 second. Would have been easier but not the best driven race lol
Good thing was that the race started on inters in fair amount of water and the car was much faster than the AI until the track started to dry, then about equal :)
I cant do clever gearboxes or alignment settings so this setup could be faster. Let me know what you think.

Aerodynamics
Front Wing Angle: 11
Rear Wing Angle: 5

Braking
Balance: F 50% - R 50%
Pressure: High
Brake Size: Small

Balance
Ballast Distribution: F 100% - R 0%
Front Anti-roll Bar: 1
Rear Anti-roll Bar: 11
Suspension