Car models for Assetto Corsa

Hi Aristolesis
I’m keen to teach myself how to build cars for sims. If I was to attempt to jump straight in at the deep end and aim for AC, can you give any initial pointers to go on at the minute? I’m assuming that the best program to work with would be 3DS Max? Can you give an idea of poly counts for each main part of one of your typical cars? How many for the body, how many for the interior, how many for wheels, etc.
Yes, I am an absolute bone-stock beginner, but I have ambition :-D
Many thanks,
Graham

You can get free 3D models from here.

http://grabcad.com/library/most-liked/category/automotive?per_page=100

Some of them are insane in terms of details. Like this one,
medium.jpg

http://grabcad.com/library/ferrari-156-f1-sharknose

It's really not a good idea to try converting models made for rendering to a game.

Most models made for rendering are way too high poly and/or have no actual textures, just many different materials. Simply put, models made for something else won't be anywhere near good enough to be in AC without some good amount of adjustments and optimization.
As example, for converting a car made for rendering to the same way cars are made for games, you'd need first to reduce the polycount and readjust the wireframe, then reduce the amount of unique materials to only a few and remap all the UVs with textured materials, so you can bake normal maps and ambient oclusion, then make the LODs out of the main model, so yeah, it's a lot of work for it to look right.

There is no easy way, sorry. :p
As the saying goes, if you want a job well done you have to do it yourself. hehehe :D

Also Hampus, those seem to be CAD models, I never worked with CADs but wouldn't converting those CAD models into actual polymesh make a big mess of a wireframe impossible to work with?

Oh Tenguh, about Turbosquid, you MAY find car models there that fit perfectly into a racing game like AC, and well, that's because they are stolen from racing games and mods. Really. I'd stay away from that.

No idea how easy or hard it would be to convert or to get it in game.
All i know is you can only keep about 1% of the fidelity because it´s insane.

I´ve got a pretty good computer and this thing, if i make too sudden movements almost crashed the computer lol.

Also Hampus, those seem to be CAD models, I never worked with CADs but wouldn't converting those CAD models into actual polymesh make a big mess of a wireframe impossible to work with?

Oh Tenguh, about Turbosquid, you MAY find car models there that fit perfectly into a racing game like AC, and well, that's because they are stolen from racing games and mods. Really. I'd stay away from that.
This.

If you want a particular car to the game you have to model it yourself or get someone to model it for you. Majority of those models for sale aren't made for anything game related and requires massive work to get them to work with the game (IE it's easier to model it from scratch). If you actually find suitable model to work with it's most likely ripped/stolen from another game.

What I'm saying is that it's helluva lot of work; I'm sure the boys at Kunos spend hundreds of man hours to make a single model for the game. That's why I have huge respect for guys like RMT because they do immense amount of work for free because of their passion for sim racing and cars.

Making a car in a CAD type app is a nice approach as those applications are very robust at making good surfaces properly (they have to be if you want total control and manufacture things from the models!)

The downside is that to make a super accurate model to benefit from that needs some serious time and reference materials.

Since most people will only really get reference materials good enough via a manufacturer CAD model, a laser scan, or a HD photo-cad mesh from a game (say Forza), then you may as well just work straight down in final-use polygons in your 3D app like 3DS Max.

This is where I always get stuck really. You see AC are saying 65k polygons for the exterior, but to make 65k polygons smooth you really need a control mesh to snap to, so ideally you start to model a car differently again.

Ie, you might make the side of the car with patch grids, or nurms, or spline cage. Since it's hard to get the flow right at this stage without causing headaches (where a CAD/maths modelling app is strong!), it's sometimes easier to just make a messy form of the overall car in lots of fundamental shapes that fit together.

Then you start to model over that with your high density neat game mesh, using planes probably, and graphite tools like swift looping and wrapit and whatever other tools you so choose.

Again, this is 3DS Max.

I think nurbs in some other apps like Maya may be MUCH better... but then you swill still need to rebuild your proper mesh for the game engine manually over the top, so whatever route you take you'll almost double take... unless as said you have the luxury of a cad/scan model or something like that.

If you've ever had manufacturer surface cad data you can see that when you import/export via IGES in Rhino to say Max, the program will rationalise the nurbs into a mesh, obviously those programs don't make great game models.
When you look at models in Forza (the photo-cad models hehe), it's obvious that they are direct translations from maths cad models to polygons... but they do use a game-mesh optimised exporter of some variety. Ie, the meshes are more biased for a real-time renderer than simply generating the surface form accurately with weird triangle formations in some places that wouldn't be good for real-time use.

But even still, when you get to the game models that you really need, the ones around 5k > 25k for LOD models, then that is where artists have to get in there and do the hard work.

Surely AC is running LOD models though? Despite poly costs being relatively low they are not free and with a 12 car grid you are gonna be up near 1 million polygons before you even start with the other stuff...

It all sounds nice any way. I can't wait to make some content for AC. I just hope that as much effort is put into the physics SDK part as the graphics SDK parts!

Dave

You can get free 3D models from here.

http://grabcad.com/library/most-liked/category/automotive?per_page=100

Some of them are insane in terms of details. Like this one,

http://grabcad.com/library/ferrari-156-f1-sharknose
Didn't expect that we can get high quality work for free right there :cry:
This.

If you want a particular car to the game you have to model it yourself or get someone to model it for you. Majority of those models for sale aren't made for anything game related and requires massive work to get them to work with the game (IE it's easier to model it from scratch). If you actually find suitable model to work with it's most likely ripped/stolen from another game.

What I'm saying is that it's helluva lot of work; I'm sure the boys at Kunos spend hundreds of man hours to make a single model for the game. That's why I have huge respect for guys like RMT because they do immense amount of work for free because of their passion for sim racing and cars.

Man, I thought it was easier just by convert from premade model. Open the file at 3d program, reduce polygon, do a lil bit editing and export as proper file for the game. Well some works that need a week at most to complete. :giggle:

Now after read your comment, I think waiting great mod from all master here would be best option. :D No, I'm not affraid to get dirty with 3d program, I'm just too stupid to understand how 3d program works.

Btw, after read new progress about AC development, It's seems physic matter is easier to implement as long as have proper data. :thumbsup: Google is the best uncle. :D

Oh cool!......Since this thread is about how the cars are made in AC, I'd like to know more about the limitations, for example:
Is it possible to have vehicles with more than 4 wheels?
.....Gotta try it.

My question is slightly different....
Is it possible to have cars with LESS than 4 wheels?
OR...
Would it be possible to 'lock' one of the front wheels from steering?
Or even 'turning off' one rear wheel from driving?
Im thinking here of sidecars....
A friend & I tried re-working the physics of the rF sidecar mod to give a more accurate representation than what is basically a trike as that mod is made....
After making it so that both rear wheels ran side-by-side with a 'locked differential' the front left wheel was moved back & sideways to become the sidecar wheel...
Suddenly we had the desired effect of torque steering under power & when braking that sidecars are unique for, but no matter what we tried we couldn't stop the left from steering without crashing rF... :(

Would you, or any of the AC crew, have any thoughts or feedback on this in relation to A-C please?
Thank you for your time,
BLeeK

I hope there will be a tutorial on suspension rigging.

Πολύ ωραίος Νίκο,ειδικά αν είναι το πρώτο σου αυτοκίνητο.
(Nikos,very good, especially if its your first car.)
I just noticed the first page of this thread.....

Regarding visual damage will it be generated by the graphics engine
Or we have to model damage manually. (maybe both?)

GrabCAD is an excellent resource. Take this R8 model for example:

http://grabcad.com/library/audi-r8--2

It's 350 MB, about 120 MB os that is Solidworks (I run Solidworks 12 in addition to other CAD applications).

I've looked at some of these models, and they appear to be quite suburb. I've thought some would serve as excellent foundations for mod integration. I'm not a modder, so I can't say with certainty. However, the models there are much more than for "mere rendering" purposes.

I personally feel AC would benefit with some dedicated, unrelated, mod houses working actively on content - and with operating budgets. I have an interesting business model in mind for such an endeavor :)

I do not think any decent modeler would use someone elses work as a base.Maybe some desperate people who want a certain car ingame?

Even if it happens,you need permission,since your work will be a direct derivative of someone else's work.

As for 3d model markets,most of them want you to have the models encrypted so others cannot extract the mesh,somewhere here comes the piracy part,because if they figure out a certain model is available elsewere
they get it from there.....

About mod houses. what you describe cannot happen unless the modding groups are supported by the community directly.

I think i will open a donation account faster than planned...:laugh::roflmao: hahaha!?!

If a modding group is tied financially with a company,then the company will have to aquire licences for the modding content,just like for their inhouse work.

I do not think any decent modeler would use someone elses work as a base.Maybe some desperate people who want a certain car ingame?

Even if it happens,you need permission,since your work will be a direct derivative of someone else's work.

As for 3d model markets,most of them want you to have the models encrypted so others cannot extract the mesh,somewhere here comes the piracy part,because if they figure out a certain model is available elsewere
they get it from there.....

So when AC get CAD data to use as a base, they ignore it because they are decent modellers, and start from scratch with photos? Not even using prints, as they are derived from the cad data?
Indeed even the photos are derived from a model of the cad data at full scale :D ;)

I suppose it depends but you have to see models merely as 3D prints... reference material...
You could say using 2d prints is questionable, and photo-matching is the purist approach (and more accurate possibly, some 2d prints are horrible)
Any approach has merit both in production for commerce and for fun/hobby modding. Use the tools and resources available to make the best model!

The derivative seems odd too. I can't be sure but if you make a superb detail R8 who is to say it wasn't derived from ANY of the other superb detail R8 models out there? How would you know if they were all accurate models if one was derived from another or not?

Can derivative work copying/money making apply to an author who isn't the original copyright holder of that model (ie, Audi?). Ie, if you make a model Audi, I can't make a derivative of your work, it's a derivative of Audi's work.

I doubt this is the case. You buy meshes via turbo squid or whatever with the license to make derivative works. Ie, you can render them and put them on a poster and sell the poster. Again, this maybe gets a bit shady when people make cars and sell them when they don't own the trademarks/copyrights (ie, they are making derivative works of Audi's work and making a profit from them before they sell to you, to then make a derivative again of Audi's work, not theirs)

3D model markets, most want them encrypted? How? What use is buying a model that you can't edit? I've never seen a single encrypted model for sale. How would you even use it for a project?

Just not sure it is as you say that is all.

But totally agree on the last point. If AC pay people to make mods it's going to end in tears when they use content that should be licensed!

Dave

Well personally I would love to have original cad models,not to trace them,but to see how accurate I can get with my techniques.

Use the tools and resources available to make the best model!
I agree with that,but if you introduce cad data,don't you just throw most of the creative
process to the garbage bin?

I'm not saying that this way of doing things is bad,I just don't like it :)

Can derivative work copying/money making apply to an author who isn't the original copyright holder of that model (ie, Audi?). Ie, if you make a model Audi, I can't make a derivative of your work, it's a derivative of Audi's work.

First of all.copyright laws are stupid,We could have a very interesting conversation about it.
What you say it is completely wrong though here.

The model created is the artist's interpretation of Audi's model.
It belongs to the artist,not to Audi.

Thus you create a derivative work of the artist's work,who used an existing object to draw
inspiration from.

And as far as I know using real life objects,cultural references,etc to create art,goes back some millenniums ...

3D model markets, most want them encrypted? How? What use is buying a model that you can't edit? I've never seen a single encrypted model for sale. How would you even use it for a project?

Not for sale,they sell you regular models with no encryption.
In case you use the model in real time application,they expect you to use an encrypted format,so others cannot open the file and access the model itself.

This is from turbosquid (others state it much more clearly)

The purchased model has to be incorporated into your final product in a way that the end user of it cannot access the purchased model itself. For example, you should publish your final product in a proprietary, native file format so that the users of your final product cannot access the model by itself. You must not distribute with your final product a folder (for example a .zip file) that includes the purchased models by themselves.

(ii) As purchased by a game's creators as part of a game if the Content is contained inside a proprietary format and displays inside the game during play, but not for users to re-package as goods distributed or sold inside a virtual world.

Forza 4 photomode models are as good as CAD models.

Easy to take a look at them and think how you'd build your model.

I kinda agree on the creative side, but now poly levels are so high there isn't really so much creativity left in creating the form, we can fully realise the form of a vehicle for game purposes (and even photo purposes now nearly) in about 60k's worth of polygons!

Maybe back when you made content in 5-10k for a car there was some creativity in how you feigned curves and forms with the right mesh and texture work... but not so much today if at all!

Eventually your artistic interpretation is so close by definition to the original Audi, it'd be impossible to say that someone elses interpretation wasn't derived from Audi's car, but their model.
At 60k polygons you'd struggle to say what the original source was for a car, it could be cad from manufacturer, or another game, or a CAD model made by an artist. You'd never know.

It was different in the past, but today some models are very good and you'd be mad not to use them as *reference* materials.

I'm in two minds on the process. Don't know it till you try it. I'm making my BMW Z4 and it's a nightmare. Since I own it I look every day and see curves I can't reproduce from prints... even in photos they are really hard to see (resorted to putting thin masking tape lines down certain panels for photo matching!)

I've had prints that tell me so much, but then photo-matching to tell me more (even taking photo-match photos in GT5 haha!... but in the end the clearly CAD derived Forza 4 model is just as useful a guide in the end.
Indeed, I've loaded some panels in and still think MY panels look more like my car, so will be keeping them that way.

Their CAD models are sooooo high density for realtime use, that you have to totally rethink topology and poly flow for YOUR needs, your texture budget/process (ie, do you want livery, and UV unwrapping, or not), damage perhaps? Opening doors or ones that can stay static... oodles of thoughts are still made despite the reference material!

Give it a go. Get a Forza 4 HD model and make your own model from it. In the end all you do is work off a pre-made 3d surface, rather than lining up images, forming splines, creating a 3d surface, and then topologising off that anyway.

It cuts out some time basically, but the final creative work is STILL yours in determining the poly density, the flow density you need, total poly count, yadda yadda :D

Not to say I do that all the time, I've just started an A110-50 and it's all from photos. Creating each panel as a surface to start with, blocking it out in surfaces, then poly-modelling over.

End results and the modelling from the resources/references you have is what counts. In the case of my Z4 I have 3 lots of prints, two sets of photos, spline cages, and two meshes from other games as reference (the Shift 2 one I had for example was so wrong in BIG ways it was binned, so there is still no replacement for checking your resources and double checking!) :D

Sorry I babbled so much, can't really write a cohesive single post quickly haha.

I generally agree with you, in the end it's about an artist realising their vision of a given thing, in this case cars.
But if your vision requires perfection and accuracy as much as the spirit of the car, then utilising all the reference materials you can muster is worthwhile!

It's still the same in the end I promise you. You still struggle with curves and shapes and how to make it look the best, loading it in-engine and checking reflections and flow, thinking about texturing etc...
You just complete different steps a bit differently, but underneath you are still critically casting your eye over every vert you drop :D

Dave

Forza 4 photomode models are as good as CAD models.
They are cad models yes.They asked companies to send them their data for showcase
in autovista.
Not all forza models are like that though,unless you count ebbro and tamiya scale models:poop::roflmao:
They also have traditional modeling,and camera matching in their cars. (shown in videos)

Maybe back when you made content in 5-10k for a car there was some creativity in how you feigned curves and forms with the right mesh and texture work... but not so much today if at all!

The problem is not the polycount, but understanding the form of the car.
It is much more difficult to create a good model with 15k
than a 60k one. you have to think about every vertex position. needs a lot more planning...

Give it a go. Get a Forza 4 HD model and make your own model from it. In the end all you do is work off a pre-made 3d surface, rather than lining up images, forming splines, creating a 3d surface, and then topologising off that anyway.

It cuts out some time basically, but the final creative work is STILL yours in determining the poly density, the flow density you need, total poly count, yadda yadda

Retopologizing doesn't count as your work really, but you can get away with it most of the time. I do not consider it a honest way of doing things.

For me the journey is the destination. When I make a model, I pay a tribute to the
subject. This can only happen with sweat and tears to be true

For a company it makes things faster.and don't forget, that when you model professionally,you might do things in a different way than what you normally do...
I understand that,as there are other limitations as well.

Sorry I babbled so much, can't really write a cohesive single post quickly haha.
No worries! It is really interesting to share your thoughts on a subject:)
:D;)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea