Beamng Sudden Popularity

SyCoREAPER

Premium
This isn't a troll post and I'd like to keep things serious.

I've noticed maybe in the last 6-12 months that BeamNG seems to be really popular (or maybe I'm just noticing). I see lots of posts here and elsewhere asking if Assetto content can be added to BNG.

Graphics can subjectively look better at times, "crumple physics" and motion blur also look better at times. Outside of that, what makes it so popular now as more than just a destruction simulator for people? I have no interest in buying it but am interested in what makes it so appealing for those not just destroying stuff.

Its because its a playground of "do whatever you want with cars" that in many ways, is limitless.

People like to play pretend... Its as simple as that.

Edit: At first the game was just a crash simulator but theyve added so many functions and features to make it the playground I describe.

Last edited:
It feels to me like rfactor 1 all over again except it is for driving simulation not racing simulation(maybe it can too with a empirical tire model?). It has a industry oriented version called beamng.tech but the beamng.drive is still the same thing basically just less ui apps but you can edit and tweak the files to be as realistic as you can possibly make the cars feel to drive and sound and look.

The only issue is the devs havent quite nailed down the tire physics so the cars kinda feel light and floaty. I personally feel they should have a hybrid model which uses empirical + physical based model so they dont have those issues where they have to have more jbeam segment to get more smoothness which imo is a dead end in terms of computer limitations and won't work.

A 3d tire will never be a physical object thus taking rfactor 1 approach (and other sims) of empirical tire model where you can have infinite smoothness but somewhat have artificial settings to bring out realistic feel into your sim rig or controller. I still hope they can figure out a way to make current model feel more planted but i just can't see that happening unless they make the tire so complicated that nobody will be able to run the simulation anymore.

Last edited:
I looked at the historical data and I was off with the 6-12 month estimate, more like 3 years but still. There was this drastic uptick like something major happened.

Again, I have nothing against the game, it's just interesting that it stayed stagnant for so many years where it looked like it peaked and in the last 2-3 years it just shot up

@M D Gourley

So thank you for the write up, seems that if one desires, there is an extra level of immersion. However you mentioned exactly what I'm curious about. You said in the last year it came alive. What exactly happened recently specifically that caused this uptick? Was there some major overhaul?

Sadly, I'm not a tech person that know what goes under the hood, but update 0.27 was when I noticed it had changed or that I had seen the new 'Johnston Valley' Sand Dune / Rock Crawling map which interested me as something different.

The Menu and FFB is a lot better than years ago from what I remember...could not really set my wheel and pedals up successfully so just left it there figuring it may get updated at some stage and for me personally the 'Photo Mode' is decent.

FFB is good enough for me, but this is subjective as many others will have different tastes. Vehicle driving physics to me are very pleasing, especially in the new Remastered T-Series Trucks but this also will depend on personal tastes.
If I fired up AMS2 and got used to the FFB and car physics over a weekend, how it feels, then jump into BeamNG, very different, but to me not in a bad way, it's just a matter of getting used to the different feel....much like jumping into a friends real life car and noticing the clutch feels different or the car turns sharper etc....just personal thoughts;)
I know I already said it, but I find it fascinating how it went from a steady user base to skyrocketing.

Thanks for the insight. I guess I'll look at some changelogs and see what all was changed.

I like your clutch analogy. A very good way to make a comparison (and steering for the automatic club).

So the Nordschleife used in your screenshots is stolen / ripped from Kunos' Assetto Corsa?

Is there much stolen content for BNG? Is it allowed on their official forums?
Basically anything decent from Assetto gets stolen and ripped/ported to Beam. I believe this was the last straw for Phoenix77, when he saw LAC was converted without his permission. Personally I stay away from that crap, it feels dirty. I also understand how others may not know all the drama surrounding "converting". I dont think they allow stolen work on their official website.

So the Nordschleife used in your screenshots is stolen / ripped from Kunos' Assetto Corsa?

Is there much stolen content for BNG? Is it allowed on their official forums?
The beamng forums don't allow ripped content but modders seem to do it anyway which i don't condone at all...

But i remember you were vocal about beamng tire model and i totally agreed until 2021 when they really improved the tire physics so have you tried it since then? I am curious what you think about it now because i really liked your realist standpoint about it few years ago and after all, that is what we want, a realistic simulation to play around in.

Last edited:
@M D Gourley

All right enough using MY THREAD to shill your garbage. Go make your own thread to spam.
Understood!.....While I'd admit to posting more screenshots than most Members / Guests it is no different to someone posting numerous 'Comments' within other Threads in Race Department....and I would like to think it adds a little bit of visual interest to a Thread

Apologises for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
Understood!.....While I'd admit to posting more screenshots than most Members / Guests it is no different to someone posting numerous 'Comments' within other Threads in Race Department....and I would like to think it adds a little bit of visual interest to a Thread

Apologises for the inconvenience.
That's not the issue and sorry, my fuse is short today. If you were posting with context and in relation to the thread that's fine. The posts previously though are more like blog posts that come across as hijacking the thread rather than contributing to an actual discussion.

I have no I'll will against you but get it if you don't like me

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea