PC1 Banned for no reason!

Let's say it like this.. If anyone at work was constantly and openly negative, even after some warnings about it, came into the office and said something like that. I would not think a second about if it were wrong or right to let him go as it's clear he don't want to be there.
But you would give him a reason, I assume :)

I seriously wonder what the underlying problem is. I doubt it has anything at all to do with Sim racing.
I can't be sure what's their problem. But I don't think this is the best place to discuss that matter.

Just to make it clear (I know 1 or 2 individuals will likely read it that way) I didn't say it has nothing to do with any game or company. That wasn't my point. As it is related to stuff like sim racing as well, naturally.

This thread is sad in many ways-- including as a microcosm of human behavior throughout history.. The early parts of it are full of wmd bashing. Few here will acknowledge it but post after post, page after page of negative opinion for what appears to be little reason except to bash the game and process. Not to improve something. Not simply to inform others to beware of the experience they had... but repetitive, near endless bashing.

Now that has to grate on people who are working hard full time to make a living... when your product and process is getting bashed nonstop with no positive intent for the criticism.

So in come SMS. A little heavy handed but I can see their frustration with this particular thread. Unfortunately, the temperature rises on both sides and then we quickly have sms and the legal reference... which develops into a warning or threat, depending on how you see it. Not good-- throwing fuel on the fire at RD and hurting both sides in the process. Finally, we now have an impasse that is large and growing.

What could we have had? Real discussion, a few concessions from both sides and a productive step for the sim community. Instead, an innovative approach for sim development gets a black eye.

SMS is trying to innovate the funding model and get community development in a new way. Yes, they are making mistakes along the way! Wouldn't you expect them to? Do you get everything right the first time out? Shouldn't we be seeking to help them overcome their mis-steps in a productive way? Don't we all want sim development to innovate? Or are you happy with a new title every 6 years or so?

Blame can be apportioned both ways in this debate. I would personally like to see people talking about how to improve this problem and how to forgive each other rather than continuing the self righteous bluster that fills many of the posts. I suppose hoping for rational action on a forum is hoping for too much.

Ok, I can see that nothing will appeal to you so I'll give up. In short, 'an unreasonable excuse' is different than 'no reason'. We've never banned anyone for no reason. Any ban (about 0.05% of members in total) is fully discussed internally with all SMS leads and mods and a decision is reached by consensus. it requires a person to be patently asking for it basically.

I've not defamed anyone, don't accuse me of that. Inciting hatred? Man honestly, calm down a bit.

Hi hater :)

I happened to find this picture from another sim forum and I think it tells more than a thousand words about this matter.

nKcIt.jpg

And the funny thing is that the user who was banned for posting the strange car behavior, was backed up by Ben Collins later on.

And Ben hasn't been heard off since. I'd like to know whether he left because he or SMS decided that "he wasn't needed".

huh????, heaps of sims out lately, plus it's yet to be proven whether pcars will be a sim or a good game.
I hope the NTM and FFB work improves the driving model, as driving some of those Ford's and BMW's at Bathurst and other tracks could be great fun.
I'm very curious about the NTM, they can prove to be the best sim or they throw the stripped Shift stuff back in and hope that we forgot how Shift was:)

huh????, heaps of sims out lately, plus it's yet to be proven whether pcars will be a sim or a good game.
I hope the NTM and FFB work improves the driving model, as driving some of those Ford's and BMW's at Bathurst and other tracks could be great fun.

Of course you are right about this current moment in time .. but look at the last 5 years. Do you see tons of new sims? Or just minor new iterations of RaceOn? Yes, modders fill in the gaps with a few fantastic products here and there. And iRacing came along, fully funded, and is always adding content. So it isn't hopeless.

But look at Kunos, Simbin and ISI and their ability to produce new titles--- it is limited. SMS, whether you like pcars or not, is trying to do something new that might sustain consistent new sim development. I see great opportunity with it but will anyone else try it with all the fighting going on? Who knows...

On another note (in response to your post) ... I don't buy in to the whole definition of sim vs. game for pcars. Of course all such classifications are essentially arbitrary but all the sim titles are games when I compare it to getting in my real car and spending time on the track. Clearly there is a big difference between a sim title and an arcade title but I see no evidence at all that pcars is not a sim-- even at this early stage in development when not everything is well sorted out.

If pcars isn't a sim then neither are the Simbin titles I have enjoyed so much over the years. I see the same primary features in both. Yes they may not be striving for the same degree of realism as iRacing (they have AI, more available driving aids, you can turn off damage etc) but they still seek to replicate a true driving experience when on track. We can argue about which titles do it more successfully but, in the end, that argument is largely subjective.

But look at Kunos, Simbin and ISI and their ability to produce new titles--- it is limited. SMS, whether you like pcars or not, is trying to do something new that might sustain consistent new sim development. I see great opportunity with it but will anyone else try it with all the fighting going on? Who knows...
iRacing: a product with long lasting support and upgrades
Simbin: two titles in the works
AC: a modable title in the works with support for five years
rFactor2: a moddable title in the works with "lifetime" support, so at least good for a few years of fun.

It isn't exactly a selling point for current and upcoming titles. Last five years have been poor from many perspectives. Future looks bright for most sim titles.

In any case, the thread title libel accusations have turned a bit flaccid with that screenshot, in my view.

Agreed. :thumbsup: He actually stated he had never banned anyone for no reason. That looks no reason to me. And I'm not on about the guy banned for "liking" the post. Banned for "liking" the post????? Absolutely unbelievable. A blatant omission? Ian, what do you have to say about that? Will this be discussed in any legal discussions?

Wha, banned for a like? Not sure whether to laugh or cry or sue.

Yes it's amazing. Good job the mods here don't ban for like or dislikes. There'd be none of us left. :geek: It's that attitude that I think has riled a lot of members up. In my humble opinion lawyers.;)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.