Automobilista Talk & Drive - Ultima GTR with Niels Heusinkveld

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AMS Ultima GTR - Brands Hatch.jpg

Reiza Studios physics guru Niels Heusinkveld presents a 20 minute "talk and drive" video presentation of the upcoming Ultima GTR for Automobilista, putting the 720hp closed cockpit sports car through its paces around the beautiful Interlagos Formula One track.

The Brit Pack DLC will introduce three renowned UK circuits to Automobilista - Brands Hatch, Oulton Park and Cadwell Park, as well as a selection of popular British club racing vehicles. Caterham will make its debut in the sim, with Reiza producing several variations of the classic manufacturers line of models. Open wheel cars in the form of the Formula Trainer (Formula Ford without the licence), the MCR Sports 2000 and of course the previewed Ultima GTR will also form the first DLC package since AMS reached V1 last month.

Reiza physics guru Niels Heusinkveld, the man behind many of the outstanding cars in AMS, has given fans an early access view of the epic looking Ultima as part of his nice little "talk and drive" videos, putting the machine through its paces around the Brazilian Grand Prix venue at Interlagos. You can check out the full 20 minute video below.

Niels Heusinkveld Talk & Drive 19: Ultima GTR

The Automobilista Brit Pack DLC is due for release on the 27th September, priced at $19.99. Season Pass or Beta Backers will receive the pack at no additional cost.

Check out the Automobilista sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions regarding the simulation. We do mods, setups and awesome racing clubs too, well worth a look for those with an interest in all things Reiza...

Looking forward to the Brit Pack DLC? What piece of content are you most excited about? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
How many titles have as many cars and broad range of choice as AMS? No one cares if you or I don't like a particular car. Drive something else. And if there isn't enough to choose from, then your standards are either ridiculous, or you should just go use a different sim...one with a greater selection of cars, I guess. Which one is that?

IMO its not about how many cars or how broad the range is - it's about the choice of cars. My standards must be ridiculous too because there is no car in AMS I want to race a championship in. I'm not looking for a wide range - indeed many top selling racing sims in the past have a very narrow range of cars (e.g. GPL, Grand Prix 4, NASCAR Racing 2003, GTR) - but they offered cars/championships a lot of people want to race.

I appreciate Reiza don't want to compete head to head in terms of content with the likes of AC, pCARs, iRacing and R3E. I also appreciate fans of AMS are very happy with Reiza's choices. But Steam ownership figures indicate AMS sales are a tiny fraction of other sims, which to me indicates that most sim racers are not as impressed with AMS content as AMS fans are.

I'd love to have more GT4/GTS cars available in AC and AMS. It seems to be a series that doesn't get a lot of attention but, when watching televised races, they are close and exciting races to the finish. Having more of them available for Multi-class racing would be great also.

yep ... I almost feel lik GT3 are now daily drive cars .. not much special about them ..
cant help but question this car a little bit. car & driver speaks to the confidence the car gives them on track...

"For kicks, we took a few laps on a racetrack and couldn't believe how confident the Ultima GTR made us feel. It is simply a well-engineered and well-built car. In every corner, straight, and braking zone, our test car was rock solid, with absolutely no twitchiness despite our prodigious speeds. We could gush on forever, but the bottom line is we'd sacrifice plenty for a day of track time in the GTR."

in-game this thing is bonkers insane w/out TC...to the degree that i wondered how many steps one would have to take irl to disable it. except that as far as i can tell, it didnt even have it.
And which version are they talking about? Standard 270HP V6? Upgraded chevy V8 with 440HP? GTR640 or 720? LS7 running 1050HP or perhaps 1750HP monster...
I can imagine that 270HP vs 800HP on road legal kit car can make quite difference in terms of how easy it drives and how much you poop in your pants ;)

yep ... I almost feel lik GT3 are now daily drive cars .. not much special about them ..

And which version are they talking about? Standard 270HP V6? Upgraded chevy V8 with 440HP? GTR640 or 720? LS7 running 1050HP or perhaps 1750HP monster...
I can imagine that 270HP vs 800HP on road legal kit car can make quite difference in terms of how easy it drives and how much you poop in your pants ;)
ah, thanks. looks like the car they tested was 345hp...slightly different :)

TBH I hate the WTCC cars aswell so I can't blame anyone for not liking the Copas, that said yeah there's the Brazilian Stock Cars that are awesome, and I rather like the Formula 3's and the Minis aswell, but there's a reason for GT popularity, they look/sound amazing and provide a visually diverse field while still keeping the racing close.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I turned this thread into a car wishlist or whatever, I really do like AMS, but I think it needs more content along the lines of the Boxer Cup and less "oddball" content. Like I said at the start, I get that Reiza can't go out and license things left and right because that's well beyond the scope of AMS, but mods, perhaps with a little help certainly can cover the bases a bit better. I mentioned URD because they've proven to do top notch content, Patrik as well with the Cart Extreme mod. EEC looks promising, but I feel it lacks that little extra polish, and with the scope of that mod, holy crap I wouldn't want to be the one to do it. :D

hmm if they where todo gt's then the american le mans series, when they had lmp2 vs lmp1 with the wildly different performance characteristics would be what id want.

but i dont really understand the lust for supercup porche :/

hmm so I tried Ultima and it is definitely hard one to drive .. paradoxly not on throttle but when braking you need to be super delicate so I`m not sure if lower powered version would help... first time I flipped car in AMS :) ... and I only touched brake (like 10-15% of braking) with little lift of in wrong time and of you go :) ... race version is sweet though .. got that class C vibe in it :) also Brands Hatch is nice ...except first corner in Ultima for a first time :)

hmm so I tried Ultima and it is definitely hard one to drive .. paradoxly not on throttle but when braking you need to be super delicate so I`m not sure if lower powered version would help... first time I flipped car in AMS :) ... and I only touched brake (like 10-15% of braking) with little lift of in wrong time and of you go :) ... race version is sweet though .. got that class C vibe in it :) also Brands Hatch is nice ...except first corner in Ultima for a first time :)

Move the brake balance forward and it's way less twitchy when braking.

Don't forget it is a first beta release, maybe they could still tweak it a bit here and there it is WIP after all!
So far LOVING that new Ultima street and race version. Have to threat it with respect (that acceleration! wow) and not smash the controls (of course hardware can sometimes make it more difficult). You can stiffen the front arb a few clicks and/or lower the rear one, and maybe adjust the differential a little (few clicks + power). You can also adjust brake power a little if your hardware is a little too sensitive.

i dont think ive had much trouble under braking but i turn on ABS & move the balance even farther up. i definitely have trouble w/ the throttle & i think part of it is ffb, i'm not sure if it's the coding, or a combination of my wheel being insufficient + my skill level not being sufficient to be able to react w/ the proper inputs. if it is to do w/ the wheel, its the first time ive felt a deficiency w/ the TX as its always been fast + just powerful enough to never give me any complaints.

i do find the default setup very twitchy in general, could be a temporary setup that niels uses for kicks...ive really just messed w/ camber & toe & already felt much more planted, on & off throttle. i think if i mess around w/ the diff & ARBs ill be able to complete a lap...

Move the brake balance forward and it's way less twitchy when braking.
sure ... i just always try default setup first (second lap was with lower rear ARB, less brake pressure, front brake bias) .. and as mentioned by Niels and yusupov .. still beta/ very much WIP .. right now as it is both versions are the hardest cars to drive in AMS .. drivable but very challenging and requiring focus ..

Last edited:
right now as it is both versions are the hardest cars to drive in AMS .. drivable but very challenging and requiring focus ..
Nicely said...but personally I think this is what Sims are all about...car is not quite perfect at 'Default' set up, but still drivable, very challenging and requiring focus, but then being able to go into the 'Car Set Up' and adjust things to make it more drivable....this is however, whether the car set up / adjustment area actually works when making changes.

sure ... i just always try default setup first (second lap was with lower rear ARB, less brake pressure, front brake bias) .. and as mentioned by Niels and yusupov .. still beta/ very much WIP .. right now as it is both versions are the hardest cars to drive in AMS .. drivable but very challenging and requiring focus ..

I always find the default setups a bit odd with AMS, especially brake balance which often seems way different from what I end up with. Maybe they are great with a Bodnar and HE pedals and some more talent but sadly I don't have those. :)

I appreciate Reiza don't want to compete head to head in terms of content with the likes of AC, pCARs, iRacing and R3E. I also appreciate fans of AMS are very happy with Reiza's choices. But Steam ownership figures indicate AMS sales are a tiny fraction of other sims, which to me indicates that most sim racers are not as impressed with AMS content as AMS fans are.

And how do you know that content is the issue? Maybe (very likely) it has more to do with lack of real licensing and fancy graphics engine more than anything else..

damn how quick is that thing - straight line it would leave p1s, laferraris and 918s behind.
the quoted in-game 626 bhp figure is much lower than the real car; is that at the road wheel after transmission losses or something?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back