Austrian Grand Prix Driver of the Day - VOTE NOW!

Might be intolerance for the nose rings/jewelry on a race driver. I think he's trying to look like Prince. I fully expect him to show up in a purple driver's suit before long. I see he's already got the purple hat.

This look just isn't very popular with your typical gearhead. You don't have to look like Ayrton Senna, Steve McQueen or Willy T. Ribbs - but it helps ;)
I can appreciate people don't align with his kind of private life. But the private life and the driver behind the wheel are two different entities, if they can't separate the two things, maybe they shouldn't be watching sport.

Riciardo is my choice for dotd. Although the race as a whole was a bit lacklustering, he did a great job defending his 3th place. There are times Riciardo looks like giving his position up way to soon. But definitely not this time :thumbsup:.

And Kvyat... What a big shame. In my opinion he is the best driver at TR, but all these kind of incidents? That doesn't belong in F1 imho. And the attitude of Sainz when he had to leave the race... I wouldn't be surprised if TR comes with new driver line-up in 2018 and Sainz is going to be demoted to become testdriver - as he is still under contract and they are not willing to let him go unless other teams have big pockets so they somehow have their return on investment - with his bad attitude towards RB and TR and in the end silently will leaving the backdoor of F1. His ego is way to big to be seated in such a small F1 car. :p:roflmao:

I can appreciate people don't align with his kind of private life. But the private life and the driver behind the wheel are two different entities, if they can't separate the two things, maybe they shouldn't be watching sport.
Sorry, but image matters in an advertising-supported sport. Telling people that they "shouldn't be watching" is not exactly what F1 needs at the moment.

Plus, I'm not even talking about his private life. I'm speculating as to why some people (myself not included) have an allergic reaction to the most gifted driver of the past decade.

Might be intolerance for the nose rings/jewelry on a race driver. I think he's trying to look like Prince. I fully expect him to show up in a purple driver's suit before long. I see he's already got the purple hat.

This look just isn't very popular with your typical gearhead. You don't have to look like Ayrton Senna, Steve McQueen or Willy T. Ribbs - but it helps ;)
Don't give a rats ar$e what he looks like, its what he does in the car that matters to me. And i think you'll find his image is not exactly detrimental on the advertising front either. I agree that his sometimes sulky attitude in interviews does him no favours but who wants robotic, toe the line answers all the time. He doesn't like losing and doesn't hide that.

As for DoD im still torn, great drive from Bottas from the front, Vettell to push him to the last corner and Ricciardo to hold onto the podium but i'm leaning towards Grosjean for a terrific drive in the Haas. Both Williams boys did well to get thst car into the points too. Felt sorry for Magnusson for such bad luck on both days as well.

• Deleted member 130869

Ricciardo drove very, very, very well and I'd not have minded giving him or even Grosjean the vote, but Bottas kept it together and always controlled his lead. Hamilton makes it tough for me to like him because his behavior is akin to a kid playing a sport and complaining about all external factors and placing 100% of the blame for his lack of success on everything and his teammates but himself. Always, and that's the issue.

Senna could be upset but he was focused on his annoyances, including himself, and when one looks back 1 race, 1 year, or 2 decades after an incident, one much more often than not will agree with his judgment. With Lewis, it's not that way 1 race or 1 year after the incident. Remember when he made the mistake in 2007 that took him off the championship? He put it on himself. That Lewis is long gone. The current Lewis is the same that called for a pitstop, complained and left his team to receive negative words worldwide. Ricciardo was upset with things outside of his control and he doesn't fail to take ownership of his occasional shortcomings.

There are different kinds of winner/loser mentality. It is absolutely frustrating to lose but the proper winner's way of analyzing and understanding what led to a loss, not to only being upset at not winning.

Edit: My only comment about his off-track and press behavior is he should show a bit more respect for other people trying to do their jobs, or fans. Even Kimi or Mika would participate and usually give attention to a reporter, not be texting or playing a game which he could be doing at a leisure moment. Lewis has often been seen with his shades, hat down, and headphones at driver parades. That is disrespectful to the people paying hundreds of dollars/Euros for their ticket and opportunity to see their heroes.

If Hamilton's attitude was really as simple as "either I win the race, or I lost the race", I could get behind that. But that's not really how he comes off to my ears/eyes - he never comes off as being particular sincere to me. It always seems forced or faked with him, and it really perturbs me. Happy to see RIC hold him off! :D

In terms of the way he dresses and what he chooses to wear.. I couldn't care less it really id that fake issue.

I regard him as highly as anyone in the sport, he just irks me.

There is also a big difference in being upset or angry about something and sulking.. The interviewer post race was getting short snappy sentances in answer to her questions, like it was her fault.

The guy is an incredible tallent i just wish he could be more sincere and gracious.

Also he has a tendancy to screw things up for himself with all the moaning, winging about his blistered tyres and wing... Meanwhile setting the fastest lap... JUST FFFFFING GET ON WITH IT YOU WINING LITTLE PRINCESS! Id love love love it if he got an engineer say that to him in a live broadcast.

I'm quite a Hamilton fan. I can't help it.

But there are plenty things about him that I can see will wind people up. He whinges a bit, an amount of petulance, can be quite self-absorbed, probably loads of other things that if someone says 'this annoys me about Lewis Hamilton' I'd think yeah, fair enough, I can see that.

But this appears to suggest that 'gearheads' may dislike him because of the way he looks. Careful where that's going.

The day he turns up in a purple race suit is the day Mercedes take up a Dairy Milk sponsorship. Simple as that.

Hamilton, I felt, should have gotten on it much earlier during the race but was playing mind games on the radio to get Ricciardo to slow down. Ricciardo put the hammer down hard. Very close race and the tension was super high till the last second. He probably would have won this race if not for the gearbox issue.

I don't get how you all can tell that Hamilton isn't being sincere. Seems to be the easiest person to read on the grid. If Hamilton gets beaten in a fair fight, he'll admit it without any problems.

He's not the best loser but that's not the quality anyone should be fighting for. Something to be mindful of and work towards, yes, but doesn't cement your place on the wall of champions. He's probably going to have the most poles ever in F1 by the end of the season.

I agree with much that has been said on here ref hamilton's interviews and actions when things aren't going his way, it is hard to watch sometimes and like many comments on here has really put me off him as a person, i personally have followed much of his career from karting to f1, he seems to have built up this sulky attitude yes he's a good driver and has allot of talent, but so are many who have not been given that car he's a lucky guy! i saw a quote on here saying he's the fastest driver on the grid , i agree to a point = with that car he probably is, but equally there are at least 5 other drivers who given that chance in that car would easily match or better his performance ,all these drivers in F1 are very lucky to be where they are, many youngsters who have real talent won't get the chance through lack of funds,i am sorry to rant on about this and i know it's taking it away from the original subject a bit but f1 is a rich man's game and if you're rich you will progress better fact. Motor sport needs to change and get behind more talent early on from those who haven't got rich parents and people in the no in motor sports in general ,and take them through. I watched a programme on tv the other day and they spoke to a parents who was spending over £100, 000 to 130,000 a year on karting. If we want F1 to become more exciting (which it needs to do on a regular basis= look at moto gp ) we need to get fresh real talent into these seats bring the cost of team production/costs down. Riccardo's attitude gets my respect he's not cocky or Sulky person his drive in that car today gets my vote for driver of the day, Shame Verstappen couldn't continue. Well done Bottas.

I agree with you mostly, but who do you think could be faster than Ham with the same car, remembering that when he was a rookie he beat Alonso, i say again he winds me up but i dont think there's another driver out there with that much Raw speed.

Hmm not sure. On his day, I'm not sure there are that many who could match or better his pace.

For me the issue is consistency, distraction and attitude.

Take Alonso. Even with everything. Even the constant morale extinguisher that is the Honda F1 programme, he still leaves nothing (except a few bits of engine and some oil) on the track.

Nothing deters him. OK he'll moan on the radio, but that's not petulance, it's politics and gamesmanship. And respect to him for that.

I just feel with Hamilton, he has 'off' weekends where something happens to knock him off his game and sometimes it can mean he retreats and feels defeated, instead of picking himself up and fighting on.

Hamilton is such a sulky mard arse. Im starting to want my fellow countryman to lose out on the title, just hate his interviews when he's butt hurt. Ricciardo DOD as he stopped the insufferable Hamilton from making a podium.
He's simply a bad loser, arrogant person, when the girl went to interview him on the driver truck drive was a good example, he slowly moves his earphones, reluctantly, as if to say "please leave me alone,Biebers serenading me" then, all alone, with his no friends he explains with a small tear and lump in throat, then have you noticed every race he says "struggling with my tyres guys,what can you do" as he turns in another fastest lap. It's true I can't stand the dick.

I agree with you mostly, but who do you think could be faster than Ham with the same car, remembering that when he was a rookie he beat Alonso, i say again he winds me up but i dont think there's another driver out there with that much Raw speed.
Hi Bottas has only just joined the team and on occasions is matching Hamilton speed,, Vettel who i feel could be faster in that car , Verstappen , Riccardo ,Stroll is showing promise, now i am not saying all these drivers are more talented than Hamilton as we all know theres more to just driving a car fast! but i believe any of these drivers can hold there own in the car Hamilton drives today and match him if we are talking raw speed. Now if you asked me Who's the best Driver in f1 today Hamilton would be near the top:whistling:

He's simply a bad loser, arrogant person, when the girl went to interview him on the driver truck drive was a good example, he slowly moves his earphones, reluctantly, as if to say "please leave me alone,Biebers serenading me" then, all alone, with his no friends he explains with a small tear and lump in throat, then have you noticed every race he says "struggling with my tyres guys,what can you do" as he turns in another fastest lap. It's true I can't stand the dick.
When you are highly likely to have the highest number of poles ever in F1 by the end of the season, I think you can be a little arrogant. Mercedes seriously dropped the ball in Baku and now he has to deal with a gearbox penalty that cost him the race win today.

Say what you want about how Hamilton uses the radio but team radios add another dimension to F1 and playing mind games with that tool is part of the sport. Whether you like it or not. Won't be the first or the last to use it.

Last edited:
Ironic how everyone was yapping about Lewis asking for Bottas to slow down Vettel but I don't see anyone complaining about Ferrari sabotaging Kimi's race to give Vettel the lead.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back