ATI 6990 vs. Nvidia ?

I am shopping for a new video card. What would be the best card out there today? I will mainly (if not only ) use it to drive 3 monitors to play rF2.

Anyone has one of those and used it with rF2 with 3 displays? how did it go? Any Nvidia alternative you could suggest?

[Edit] 7970 looks as another good card that "might" be able to drive 3 monitors
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/1.html

GTX590 aren't worth their price tag. You can't get the best out of them unless you have a nice water cooling setup. You are better off buying 2 GTX580's over 1 590. Also 2 580's will be more effective if you get 3gb models because they will have more ram. Unlike the 590 which only has effectively 1.5gb of ram even if it says 3gb on the box. Cooling solutions on cards is getting better even if the cards don't vent the air outside the case you still get nice temps if you have good airflow. I have only talked about Nvidia's cards in here but it is very much the same for ATI/AMD. If you buy 590, 790, 6990 or even the 7990 you will be limiting yourself, and you are much better off buying two single GPU cards. You can run triple monitors off one ATI/AMD card because they have that capability physically built into their cards. Nvidia are also rumoured to be doing this with their 7xx series. So you don't really need two gpus unless you want the eye candy which isn't necessarily what racing games are about. But if you want high resolution and all the perks turned up and keep a decent frame rate you will need 2 if not 3 cards (game dependent/ Personal preference)

Also you cant compare ATI/AMD's 7xxx series new cards against Nvidia's 5xx series cards as it is an un fair fight. Nvidia has the upper hand because they can now beef up their cards more if they need or want to. But ATI/AMD will have the earlier release and increased sales due to their earlier release but the companies have their individual timelines. Personally im waiting for the 7xx series to come out just because i have been satisfied with Nvidia's cards and prefer them over the Red team's cards.

Upvote 0
Thanks... but I do like the Eye Candy factor... :) I am not too worried about the heat. The CPU itself can take a lot heat and it will shut off the system if it reaches some temp. The rest of the case it well aired.

Thanks guy for the thoughts.

Upvote 0
How does your 6970 handle RF2? I was looking at upgrading to one of these.

Ahhh well, I seem to have a very lucky or unique PC as my rig delivers around 120 FPS with all settings at max but no HDR. The 6970 is a potent card for the money, especially if you want to drive 3+ monitors. Eyefinity is excellent :) If your not going to use eyefinity,take a look at the Nvidia cards also and make a judgement based on reviews as to what suits you best ;)

Upvote 0
Ahhh well, I seem to have a very lucky or unique PC as my rig delivers around 120 FPS with all settings at max but no HDR. The 6970 is a potent card for the money, especially if you want to drive 3+ monitors. Eyefinity is excellent :) If your not going to use eyefinity,take a look at the Nvidia cards also and make a judgement based on reviews as to what suits you best ;)

Thanks Brian. I'll be driving a TV with this card for the game, so no 3+monitors for me. With that said, I will drive my pc monitor, and a projector with it, but not simultaneously.

Upvote 0
I got my 7970. Installed it... Repackaged it and sent it back for a full refund.
1. No proper Linux drivers to run 3 monitors (AMD/ATI always sucked with those). Since Linux is my primary OS right there it was enough.
However
2. This card is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY loud. Once I shut down my PC I was relieved!!

Upvote 0
I just upgraded my 6950 to a 6970+ using the procedures here http://www.overclock.net/t/1070678/unlock-and-oc-that-6950-tf3-twin-frozr-iii-the-definitive-guide . Many manufacturers 6950 will no longer flash up to a 6970, but MSI still does. It not only unlocks the extra shaders, but also greatly increases the overclock limits in MSI After burner. Absolutely screams now. 120+ FPS in rF2 @ 3 monitor 5760x1080 . Still very quiet. I could push it further, but there's no reason to. Very happy.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back