ATI 6990 vs. Nvidia ?

I am shopping for a new video card. What would be the best card out there today? I will mainly (if not only ) use it to drive 3 monitors to play rF2.

Anyone has one of those and used it with rF2 with 3 displays? how did it go? Any Nvidia alternative you could suggest?

[Edit] 7970 looks as another good card that "might" be able to drive 3 monitors
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/1.html

I would avoid the dual-gpu-on-one-card solutions. If you think SLI problems are bad, wait till you get one of those.

/voe.
Agree with Alex. I and a few of my racing colleagues both present and past have had experience in Dual GPU cards and they seem to be thwated with one problem after the next... localised heat seeming to be one of the greated physical problems (same for 2x single GPU Cards if airflow/cooling in the case is insufficient) but drivers and game compatability seem to also play a big part and can be a problem even when SLI or x-fire will work with 2x Single GPU cards.

I would certainly not go back to a dual GPU card... more trouble than they are worth and if one of the GPUs breaks down, it's game over... at least with 2x cards if that happens you can continue with just the one (albeit on a single monitor vs triple if nVidia).

Upvote 0
If you have a look at the list here, you will see nvidia on the left and ATI on the right. The list is ordered from best to worst so just look at the top of the list to see which is the most powerful. I would however look at the other pages of the report to see what is the best value for the money, as the highest card isn't always such a great deal.

Upvote 0
But the advice from Alex and Paul looks as if it's maybe wiser to steer clear of dual GPU cards - and the GTX 590 is a dual GPU card.
In retrospect, I expressed my opinion and generalised on Dual GPU cards and older ones to boot. I have no experience of the HD 6990 or the GTX 590 per se.

I too would love to hear about triple monitors on both of those cards, with a plethora of racing sims/games being tested ... with AA abd AF on preferably...

Edit: the HD 7970 looks very good too... maybe an option for me to go one of those to get triple screen 5760x1080... it sure looks like the XFX black edition is kicking some ass against GTX 580 (sorry off topic as these are both single GPU cards)

Upvote 0
Surely it depends on how many screens and what resolution? as isn't that only when dual cards come into play?
I am with Ben and Paul on that one. Older cards might have had problems I am curious about those 2 GTX590 and now ATI 7970/6990. Newer generation might have resolved a lot of the old issues.

Upvote 0
In retrospect, I expressed my opinion and generalised on Dual GPU cards and older ones to boot. I have no experience of the HD 6990 or the GTX 590 per se.

I too would love to hear about triple monitors on both of those cards, with a plethora of racing sims/games being tested ... with AA abd AF on preferably...

Edit: the HD 7970 looks very good too... maybe an option for me to go one of those to get triple screen 5760x1080... it sure looks like the XFX black edition is kicking some ass against GTX 580 (sorry off topic as these are both single GPU cards)

The 7970 looks very promising as well.

Upvote 0
I have not come across many issues at all when in x-fire or SLI when 2 cards are in place, just heat and noise. How do you find the 580's in SLI and what cooling do you use?

My case is Obsidian 700D, then i use a 12mm aircooled Noctua fan and when i play games i open the side of the case.
It will get pretty hot but it´s more because my SLI bridge is a small one so one card is effectively blocking the airflow for the other card but when i buy a longer bridge then i´m assuming i can close the case again.

Upvote 0
Having the case open doesn't necessarily mean you will get better cooling. Cooling on PC's is highly dependent on airflow. The most common configuration is a negative pressure configuration where the exhaust fans are moving more air out than the inlet fans and other openings can push into the case. The airflow should move the cold air across the areas with the most potential of creating heat and then exhaust it as soon as possible without allowing the heated air to remain inside the case.

With an open side you usually reduce the amount of cold air that is actually flowing across the areas that are generating the most heat and end up relying entirely on the fans that are mounted on the devices to do your cooling. You are also reducing the ability to remove the heated air as quick as possible. The exception to this is if you have a regular desk fan setup beside your case blowing lots of air into it when the case is open.

Having 2 or more graphics cards mounted very close is a difficult situation regardless of which cooling choice you make unless you have room to mount water blocks to use water cooling systems. A lot of the newer cards fortunately are designed to push the air outside the case by themselves due to the shroud they have mounted that vents to a second slot just under the slot with all the connections.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back