ATi 5770 biggest mistake ive made.......

I have read all the posts you wrote. I don't think that the PSU causes these problems. I've bought a Sapphire ATi Radeon 4850 2 months ago. I put in my computer, it looked it would work fine. BUT, when my PC ran about 4 or 5 hours, the screen went to black, the fan on the card spined at 100%. First I thought that the card is bad, because I thought 450W PSU, than an 500W PSU should be enough. It was a noname PSU, and everybody said me changed it to Corsair or Chieftec Then, I bought a new PSU (Corsair VX450), and it looks it works fine. If you have a 650+W PSU, maybe the problem won't be your PSU. Bring back to the shop where you bought the card, because (I think) the graphics card should be bad. The Radeon 5770 need same PSU as Radeon 4850 (450W), with a 75W 6-pin cable. Of course, it is good if you got enough PSU for your PC, but I think your PSU is not enough. Anyway, have you tried your graphics card in another system? If yes, it worked bad too?

well finally it seems ive made a breakthrough as to what is wrong with not just my card but the hundreds of people getting the exact same problems and it all points back to ATi being useless. They have made these cards so that more voltage goes through them than the card is capable of coping with so it just shuts the card down to protect it. I cant see there being any solution for this so i think im gonna have to definately RMA it.

• jetsy69

I am using an XFX 4890 on windows 7 and Race On runs PERFECT... it must be the card. I am a pro graphic artist and have been using ATI cards my entire life and never had any issues with ATI... you must have gotten a bad one!

not just me, ATi aren't admitting to the mistake either which just makes it worse for them, back to Nvidia for me, their DX11 cards arent coming for a while so i might just get a GTX

not just me, ATi aren't admitting to the mistake either which just makes it worse for them, back to Nvidia for me, their DX11 cards arent coming for a while so i might just get a GTX
6 on one hand/half a dozen on the other. Nvidia vs ATI , I have had issues with both manufacturers. One is not better than the other, My 8800 GTX runs every game imaginable... except rfactor. At the moment my 119$ 4580 runs circles around my 500$ 8800 GTX. Back a few years ago my 5200 Ultra did the same to my ATI 9800 Radeon . Go figure..

Well ive never had a problem with any Nvidia and i'd much rather have reliability and have games looking good than sacrificing reliability by having an ATi just for their performance.

Well ive never had a problem with any Nvidia and i'd much rather have reliability and have games looking good than sacrificing reliability by having an ATi just for their performance.

Rob, if Nvidia hasn't given you issues yet, you either haven't owned enough of them yet in your life, or you don't play a wide enough variety of games/sims. To say Nvidia is more reliable than ATI is just a tad shallow minded.
I could probably find just as many posts on Nvidia issues as ATI. Stick with Nvidia for now ...you will eventually come across something that won't work I guarantee.:D

sorry Dave, but i agree with Rob on reliability, i was a big fan of ATI for years, then once games started to get more advanced i got more more and more graphics card problems, the last straw was last year, i had a sapphire 4850, which, when working was superb, but one day i fired up my pc and i got a message saying no vga hardware found, i re-installed the drivers, but again, next day i got the same message.

i took it back to the shop, they exchanged it for a 4870 cos they hadn't got another 4850, got it home, installed card and drivers, played a few games and was impressed with the frame rates, tried it later on and i kept getting the same message, vga hardware not found.

so, after a phone call to ATI they could not answer my question, so i took it back and re-installed my nVidia 9800gt, and to this day has never let me down, i get well above average fps, but i think the processor is carrying it a bit.

one day,when funds allow, i will get a new card, but for now, nVidia rules for me.

I think the problem isn't if the card is an ATI or Nvidia chipset based, but if it is a low quality card or not. For example if you take a Twintech Geforce card, it's at your own risk :) and same for an ATI Powercolor! It's like if you buy a "nonamed" or "generic" card....

I agree with you 100%!! My old 8800's sitting in my wind tunnel of a computer are up for the Pepsi challange any and every day. Belive me when I say I put them sucker through the ringer lol. Theirs still no need for me to change them and when it comes to to build something new, im still keeping this system.

I have been running a Sapphire HD4850 Toxic since it first came out, without any issues ever. Before that I had a HIS HD3850 and never had any problems with that either. The reason I switched to ATI initially was due to NVidias endless delays on releasing the 8800GT in Germany, back in the day. After several months of delays the price of the comparable ATI card convinced me to make the purchase and I haven't regretted making the switch. I run a large variety of Games and Applications, and while I realize I could get better performance in some of the titles with different cards, I am able to run everything without any issues and most on max settings.

I have noticed that most whom have problems with ATI cards are running mainboards with non-amd chipsets. Given the nature of the competition between AMD and Intel, that doesn't surprise me. I am not saying that either of the manufacturers is purposely keeping a piece of hardware from working on their platforms, but I wouldn't be surprised if full compatibility isn't the highest thing on their priority lists.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back