News Assetto Corsa | Latest News

Well imo thinking that posting a few screenshots and raw ipad videos slows down the process of 20+ people making a video game is kinda dumb. Sorry :p

Plus it's certainly the job of the "community manager" to post stuff on social medias...

The Kunos team is 10 or 11 people, not 20+. Why should they bother with dev vids when the entire internet tears them down for it. We already know the sim looks good, we know that the TP drives damn good, and we know that pre-orders and all pertinent information will be out sometime this month.

If you are really bored, fire up rfactor2....after this latest build it is really, really good.

The problem with past sims that I have played is that the netcode is really unpredictable. You can be doorhandle to doorhandle with someone, yet the netcode "decides" that you have hit the person and then sends him into a spin, despite the fact that according to my screen I hadn't touched him. Then you get the usual abuse from the person who has been spun out.

I gather the rFactor netcode was far better than the RACE07 and GTR2 netcode so perhaps its not so much of an issue on other sims...?

The problem with past sims that I have played is that the netcode is really unpredictable. You can be doorhandle to doorhandle with someone, yet the netcode "decides" that you have hit the person and then sends him into a spin, despite the fact that according to my screen I hadn't touched him. Then you get the usual abuse from the person who has been spun out.

I gather the rFactor netcode was far better than the RACE07 and GTR2 netcode so perhaps its not so much of an issue on other sims...?

I think Rf1 has fairly decent netcode and crucially you could bump without insane things happening , however there is always going to be a limit to what sort of ping's can be accommodated by "network "smoothing" code.

So I think one of the larger issues is more that users with awful pings are permitted to race in the same server as people with reasonable ping's, obviously due to the lack of simracers as a whole and the international nature of the sport this is likely to always happen until internet infrastructure as a whole improves.

I think using AI and very clever interpolation it could be possible to get very good results but as you move to faster more twitchy cars network issues will become more and more apparent and in the end nothing will beat simply having a good ping and consistent connection to a server in the first place.

Oh just to throw it in there what FSR did with the colisoin mesh being slightly inside of the cars visual mesh i think is a very good "cheep" solution it allows drivers to race close and in some cases intersect but still get away with it with the end result being close to real life with closer over taking moves.

I also think having conservative transfer of forces from x user to y user in the event of a contact can make a huge difference , look at I racing which in many ways has quite solid net-code yet it is totally negated by the games damage system and way in which a collision affects the cars.

If the developers demagnified or buffered the effects of a car on car collision the end result would likely end up with something that contributes to more realistic racing or results after a bump , but it would require alot of testing and probably need a whole system designed to do a response based on ping and other factors.

Last edited:
You probably know about "Schrödinger's cat" , Well simracing on-line is "Schrödinger's Car". ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat)

You can only know where the opponents car is when you put your car next to the other car and test where it is resulting in a collision or not , only after testing it can you know where its true position was , utill you test it there is equal probability that it could be slightly to the left or slightly to the right.

As ping's get higher so does the range of the cars actual position from its visual position.

Hi,
Is there some kind of list with confirmed features in V1.0 and first updates?
I am going to buy AC anyway but I am thinking about purchasing also rFactor2 and want to know if AC will include any of the following, or it is planned at least:
- Something like real road (variable road surface grip).
- Variable weather, I think it is not planned.
- Different tires for some cars (for example F1 with hard and soft).
- Tire wear and flatspots are confirmed, aren't they?

Thank you.

Hi,
Is there some kind of list with confirmed features in V1.0 and first updates?
I am going to buy AC anyway but I am thinking about purchasing also rFactor2 and want to know if AC will include any of the following, or it is planned at least:
- Something like real road (variable road surface grip).
- Variable weather, I think it is not planned.
- Different tires for some cars (for example F1 with hard and soft).
- Tire wear and flatspots are confirmed, aren't they?

Thank you.

1.0 wont have real road as far as we know
1.0 wont have variable weather as far as we know but it has dynamic lighting for day night not sure if 1.0 will have night racing though
1.0 dosent have pit stops in as far as we know but in the TD you could change tire presure and aspects of the tires , I don't see why you would not be able to chose from tires if they have them , though no info on this yet.
Tire wear should be in 1.0 from what i have read. ( i might be wrong about this anyone know for sure ?)

As for RF2 to be honest the real road although in theory would be nice is more just a gimmick at this point in time and often just a choir waiting for AI or people on line to rubber a track in , the cars in RF2 don't handle right over the limit and are generally slipy / lack bite or fail to communicate grip especially at low speed.

Weather in Rf2 looks visually quite nice in terms of fog or rain coming in but again the cars just don't grip right and it gets far worse with a wet track.

Now that's not to say you should not get RF2 or that RF2 is hard to drive or bad overall there is still a load of entertainment to be had from it , lots of awesome tracks people have made and if you compare it to other simulators like train simulator euro truck driver it has allot of game play.

If I were you I'd buy both AC and RF2. If you were to only get one I'd stick with AC as based on how NKP and FVA drive its likely to be far more believable a simulation of what its like to drive a car than RF2 is.

Also it looks like out of the box AC will have far more "game play" type features with a drift mode and its programmable "app" / UI allowing for varouse forms of point and score keeping that could be very interesting indeed.

Thanks very much for the info.
The case is I am subscribed to iRacing, there is nothing better for racing online at the moment.
I am looking for an offline game with good AI and I am afraid won't use much rFactor2 after the release of Assetto Corsa.
Anyway less than 40 euros is not a lot of money.

As ping's get higher so does the range of the cars actual position from its visual position.

Huh. spoils the 'photorealism' a bit but you could render that sort of information onto the track directly instead of just listing each driver's ping time. Then you can avoid the places where they might be, as well as where they are.

Building good AI also seems useful to getting the netcode right - if your AI runs on several parameters (shift points, speed of shifts if it's manual, how close to the grip limit they drive, variables in reacting to faster cars) then you can match those to how the other players drive, and better predict where they're going to be. I remember in some older games if the connection was laggy you would have their car going in a straight line from the last known position, and then jumping when information arrives. If that jump put it inside your vehicle, it'd be a spectacular crash. If instead you rely on the AI matching the other player's moves as closely as possible, you don't necessarily get a completely symmetric accident (both players see the same thing happen) but you might get a more realistic contact for both of them.

Thanks very much for the info.
The case is I am subscribed to iRacing, there is nothing better for racing online at the moment.
I am looking for an offline game with good AI and I am afraid won't use much rFactor2 after the release of Assetto Corsa.
Anyway less than 40 euros is not a lot of money.

rFactor 2 has great AI but for me the driving itself is sometimes very frustrating, GamerMuscle discribed it well.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 431 69.3%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 268 43.1%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 287 46.1%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 127 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 168 27.0%
Back