Anyone see this? CSL Direct Drive.

Attachments

• bandicam 2021-04-21 19-22-24-726.jpg
    bandicam 2021-04-21 19-22-24-726.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 223
This could've been worse. They could've just had them the same internally, with the 8 Nm being "CSW DD" and 5 Nm being CSL DD and not give you the ability to upgrade. They decided to have a $130 savings for people who don't really want strong FFB but want the other benefits of a DD (speed, accuracy, reliability, details). If you know you'll go 8 Nm, you should just opt for the upgrade right away. It's still $479 for 8Nm DD. What other options are there under $750? Even the Simagic M10 is $650 and adding steering wheels will be way more expensive compared to Fanatec (QR for each wheel plus USB wheels in general are more expensive than ecosystem wheels).

Regarding the YouTube channels:
I find that lately I disagree with some people here. I like SRG for explaining mechanical components, but I have to be honest that I don't really align with him when it comes to driving feel. Lately his videos seem to focus less and less on driving feel, to the point that sometimes his driving thoughts is only 3 or 4 minutes and all he does is talk about what he did to make it feel the best compared to default settings, but not how it feels in general. He didn't even say whether or not SC2 was a better drive compared to the DD1/DD2, and for all the criticisms of his channel you all make, Will Ford at Boosted did definitely say that the SC2 was smoother and chose it for his daily driver. The closest we got to Barry choosing a wheelbase or giving feedback on comparatively how it feels, is that the VRS DD was "almost as smooth" as his Leo Bodnar Sim Steering. But he never compared the SC2 to the Leo Bodnar.
To be honest, I'm more looking forward to Boosted Media's review because he will actually tell us, straight up, whether it's smoother or as powerful as the Simagic M10 and whether the VRS is a better value because of the small $200-$250 price difference to get the VRS from the CSL DD with 180 Boost Kit.
I have to agree regarding SRG. I highly appreciate his reviews for taking a close look at build quality and overall construction of a product, but driving feel is really not the focus of his videos.
In case you haven't heard, Barry actually declined the offer to review the wheel at the moment as he would prefer to have a retail version rather than a pre-production unit (which is probably better, as there may be changes/differences in construction/manufacturing between the two).
The third pre-production unit will be reviewed by GamerMuscle and the three of them (Boosted Media, Chris Haye and GamerMuscle) agreed not to publish their reviews before this Friday 9AM UTC so no one would be tempted to rush the review just to be the first one.

Upvote 0
No the back fan is loud as **** it starts normal and kicks into over drive after 10mins, might be knackered it's had some hammer.

There's definitely an issue. My CSW 2.5 was almost whisper quiet. However the shifters were loud, especially the McLaren GT3 shifters with their "thonk thonk" noise.

Yeah the base hasn't been right for a while, and just out of warranty lol.

The shifters on my F1 V2 are well clicky, I'll find myself in the garage soon lol, plus I like a bit of shift vibration.

She shouts at me at 2am "turn that giant dildo off and go to bed" lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

And those options include a steering wheel with paddle shifters and some wheel mounted buttons?
I must have missed Thomas mentioning any wheel included with the base in his video. What is actually part of the standard package?

EDIT: No mentioning on web site either, even table clamp is separate option.
To summarise the pricing structure for all regions:

CSL DD with standard power supply (5 Nm)
: 349.95 EUR (incl. VAT), 349.95 USD (excl. VAT), 599.95 AUD, 47,900 JPY.

CSL DD with Boost Kit 180 (8 Nm): 479.95 EUR (incl. VAT), 479.95 USD (excl. VAT), 829.90 AUD, 65,500 JPY.

Boost Kit 180 purchased as a separate upgrade: 149.95 EUR (incl. VAT), 149.95 USD (excl. VAT), 259.90 AUD, 20,000 JPY.

CSL DD Table Clamp: 29.95 EUR (incl. VAT), 29.95 USD (excl. VAT), 49.95 AUD, 4,490 JPY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

The shifters on my F1 V2 are well clicky, I'll find myself in the garage soon lol, plus I like a bit of shift vibration.

Lol im dyin...

Its funny, ive really gotten into tactile the past year almost.. I get all kinds of comments and jokes from mine, im sure you can imagine.

Upvote 0
I must have missed Thomas mentioning any wheel included with the base in his video. What is actually part of the standard package?

Fanatec doesn't offer a package, but its possible to get out the door with a $750 purchase, and that would include a wheel rim. If there's any other direct drive options with a buy in like that, its worth looking into. Point me at it.

Upvote 0
Hang on, you can hear your CSW fan? You sure its not the plastic top vibrating?

There's definitely an issue. My CSW 2.5 was almost whisper quiet. However the shifters were loud, especially the McLaren GT3 shifters with their "thonk thonk" noise.

My csw 2.5 fans are definitely "like new". When only running low ffb it stays pretty quiet with some low "whooosh" air pushing sound but after an hour long stint at 80%+ base strength, the air whooshing sound definitely is rather humming.

It's probably as loud as most PCs lol. But since my pc is very silent with noctua and silent wings fans and an extra quiet gpu, the csw is the loudest part of my setup.

Apart from the random throttle squeak here and there and shifter clicking...

Upvote 0

You have impressive multi-tasking skills. I can barely look at my phone while sim racing, you're able to use "shift vibrating" dildos while racing.

The point is, with the Fanatec CSL DD, you can get a McLaren GT3 wheel with the ClubSport adapter and you'll have a very decent wheel with shifters/buttons, with an all in price of $779. And you're not including shipping. Even Simplicity would be another 70€ for shipping, pretty much another $80 converted. So that's pretty much $200 more expensive without a steering wheel. They have the 8 Nm too, but no offense, if I'm going to get an 8 Nm wheelbase, I'll go with Fanatec over Simplicity.

Upvote 0
I will purchase a direct drive wheel in the next month, to replace my logitech g25, and i am very interested in this new fanatec wheel . But after looking at the video i am not sure anymore about the install on my Rseat RS1 cockpit with the T-BOLT system ????
I know that DD1 can directly be installed, but this wheel.

Any info about these T-bolt and where can the be purchased ????

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
I will purchase a direct drive wheel in the next month, to replace my logitech g25, and i am very interested in this new fanatec wheel . But after looking at the video i am not sure anymore about the install on my Rseat RS1 cockpit with the T-BOLT system ????

Thanks in advance

T-bolts slide into the direct drive and you then bolt underneath your wheel plate, just like you would with fixed scew holes. These can be moved to fit, it should come with them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thanks in advance
The base comes with four T nuts.
Rseat RS1 cockpit is compatible with ClubSport Wheel Base Servo V2.5, CSL Elite Wheel Base, Podium Wheel Base DD1/ DD2 which means that it is also compatible with CSL DD.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for your answer.
That said, i keep on hesitating for DD1. For different reasons, i prefer to stay with fanatec and not going with simucube.

As i don't care much for big torque , the 5-8 Nm should be more than enough for my needs, but the DD1 is not in the same categorie i think.

I have some more time to decide

Upvote 0
Prevailing theory is the first wave of pre-orders will start today when the reviews go public from Boosted/SRG/Chris Haye. I have a feeling it'll be 9 am Germany time or something based on where their headquarters is.

Upvote 0
How to order one? I see no page on fanatec's website and it was supposed to be this week, isn't it?

You'll get an email if you have a fanatec account and a previous order and get the newsletter. You can then log into your account to pre order.

One thing not mentioned is how long will the pre order process be, and when will shipping start.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 30 42.3%
  • Saturday

Votes: 34 47.9%