Alonso: "The Team Are All Ready To Win Except Honda"

Honda failed with their hybrid in SGT too and that put them in the back for who knows how long more
Just give the F1 program to the guys at HPD already, at this point there is nothing more to lose

I think Honda fails for the exact same reason why Toyota has failed in Formula 1. Maybe it's how the chain of decision making works in Japanese companies based on respect on no room for error.

When McLaren engineer A responsible for the engine opts for an improved part he has to ask the chief engineer B, chief B has to ask permission to the team manager C, who will discuss it with the responsible guy from Honda Motors Mr D, Mr D has to seek permission from Mr E back in the Japan based factory, who then needs approval from the R&D guy above him Mr F. Eventually the CEO of Honda Mr Z will have to sign it off and the decision can water down all the way back to engineer A.

In the meantime the Brits, Germans, French and Italians have developed an entire new engine while Honda is still making decisions about a single part.

Japanese Bowing.jpg

With that said I don't understand how Japanese motorcycle companies are so dominant in two wheel motorsports for the last 40 years, so maybe I am just talking out of my behind here.

@svt4cam
Thanks for the video, lol, highlight for me was "The new car looks just looks like silver Marussia!" :laugh::laugh:
I thought I would never say this but ...have to agree with Hitler. :alien:
As weird as that may sound. :p:rolleyes:

I love it when someone is totally honest in public.
Yeah, that's great. Just... wish he's not only "honest" when it's for his own good, wish he was "honest" back then...
He's is so lying there, from 1:30...
So much about his honesty. He's fast but not a great man, imho. But maybe you have to be a**hole to be great, who knows... are Hamilton, Vettel, Max,... great human beings, who never lie and cheat? Not ofc...
Even two of the greatest wasn't "nice guys" on circuit by any means. Yup, Senna and M.Schumacher.
Those who are nice, imho, have tougher job in F1 but there are some who made it quite far... like Button, Massa, Hullk (hope he'll achieve much more though), Riccardo, Bottas, even Rosberg, he's for sure not Alonso's type,...

Honda should fire Alonso for comments like that.

No wonder Fred has driven himself out of top drives due to his big mouth.

Fred salary is 20+ million per season and yet he feels need to vent to press when things are not going his way.

Kind of hard for Honda to fire him when he doesn't work for Honda.

Kind of hard for Honda to fire him when he doesn't work for Honda.
You got that right Scottt.
Well, man obviously doesn't know what he's been talking about...

edit:
Yes Scottt, he's lying, you take only parts which you like.
What did reporter asked him after that ?
"Interpretation" my sweet *ss.
Obviously he will never admit his part into it, why would he for God's sake?
To strips him of his victory and bring shame to his name?
You're obviously a (huge) fan, which probably means... I shouldn't waste my time here... It's ok. Moving along. :whistling:

Last edited:
You got that right Scottt.
Well, man obviously doesn't know what he's been talking about...

edit:
Yes Scottt, he's lying, you take only parts which you like.
What did reporter asked him after that ?
"Interpretation" my sweet *ss.
Obviously he will never admit his part into it, why would he for God's sake?
To strips him of his victory and bring shame to his name?
You're obviously a (huge) fan, which probably means... I shouldn't waste my time here... It's ok. Moving along. :whistling:

How is that a lie??? He said "That is one interpretation, there are many interpretations" a true statement. Give me the specific thing that he said that is a lie. Not what you disagree with, but a lie.

And no, I never really liked him. He always seems to get a free pass from the fans (partly because he drove for Ferrari partly it seemed like he's a nice guy I imagine). Not to mention the whining about Petrov and the illegal team orders back with Massa.

But none of that changes the fact he doesn't seem to be lying in that video. Pointing out the facts that he doesn't work for Honda and that he didn't really lie in that video doesn't make me a fan, it just makes me honest. The closest he gets to lying in that video is when he states he "didn't make any mistakes" in that race; which is unlikely; but I think we all know what he means by that.

Last edited:
It was Rons' decision to go to Honda, stating that if they were ever going to beat Mercedes, it would not be with a Mercedes engine. Ron is gone. Nobody left over there in Woking who knows how to spur Honda on, nobody that was there the last time around. They are lost.

If you had some junk bucket Honda Engine you would be angry too. Honda also doesn't have a say in what happens with drivers that's up to McLaren. I'd say it wont be long before we see Honda disappear from F1 again, McLaren must be sick of them and the sooner the better. Bring in a new power unit from Mercedes or something with a chance on last more than 5 minutes without blowing up. I'd hate to imagine the bill on the engines
McLaren will not win a Championship with a customer Mercedes engine that's why they went the Honda route as their best chance to build something for the future. Its all very disappointing for sure and not looking good right now but they have no other option right now than to stick to their plan. I'm still hopeful that McLaren will get back to their glory days but I admit these tests have been massively disappointing.

I think Honda fails for the exact same reason why Toyota has failed in Formula 1. Maybe it's how the chain of decision making works in Japanese companies based on respect on no room for error.

When McLaren engineer A responsible for the engine opts for an improved part he has to ask the chief engineer B, chief B has to ask permission to the team manager C, who will discuss it with the responsible guy from Honda Motors Mr D, Mr D has to seek permission from Mr E back in the Japan based factory, who then needs approval from the R&D guy above him Mr F. Eventually the CEO of Honda Mr Z will have to sign it off and the decision can water down all the way back to engineer A.

In the meantime the Brits, Germans, French and Italians have developed an entire new engine while Honda is still making decisions about a single part.

View attachment 178224
With that said I don't understand how Japanese motorcycle companies are so dominant in two wheel motorsports for the last 40 years, so maybe I am just talking out of my behind here.

You Sir...are 100% correct in your example.
I was wondering when someone would get around to highlighting this.
It's a cultural thing.
I see it everyday in a different aspect of their business and it's frustrating as hell.

Please. The Japanese culture is the problem? Yes, to answer your question, you are "just talking out of your behind". What you're saying is incredibly stereotypical and simplistic. Honda F1 engineering has historically been lightning-fast and vastly more efficient than the competition. Honda is a pretty special company, and their F1 engineering unit has an incredible heritage of efficiency, innovation and tireless energy in pursuit of victory.

Want evidence?

Honda engines wiped the floor with the competition (including 1988, where they won 15 of 16 races) from 1986 to 1991. They were completely dominant with the same culture as they have now.

Take 1991 as an example: the RA121 was overweight, underpowered and very peaky to begin the year. But Honda proceeded to relentlessly push out improvements to the engine and, by mid-year, it was the most powerful engine on the grid. No one revised/upgraded their engines faster than them. The RA121-E went from a middling engine to best-on-the-grid. And this was in the era of no-holds-barred, unrestricted development.

Osamu Goto (Honda's chief engineer) went to Ferrari in 1996 and revitalized their engine program (he got them to dump the V12 and go with a V10). Presumably, his "culture" didn't cause too many problems!

If you want the real reason they seem to be failing, I think it's because their entire racing department was gutted following the 2008 financial crisis. It has nothing to do with "culture". They simply let their race engineers go.

He's fast but not a great man, imho. But maybe you have to be a**hole to be great, who knows... are Hamilton, Vettel, Max,... great human beings, who never lie and cheat? Not ofc...
Even two of the greatest wasn't "nice guys" on circuit by any means. Yup, Senna and M.Schumacher.
Those who are nice, imho, have tougher job in F1 but there are some who made it quite far... like Button, Massa, Hullk (hope he'll achieve much more though), Riccardo, Bottas, even Rosberg, he's for sure not Alonso's type,...[/QUOTE]

Alonso wasn't a favourite because of Ferrari, I am not that old, only left school last year but I know that he isn't hated. Ferrari didn't make him I think Renault did when he won his two titles. To say he is at the standard of Hamilton attitude is silly, he isn't arrogant like that. Also take Vettel off the list of arrogance. I admit I didn't like him in the Red Bull days because of the rivalry with Webber, but you see Sebastian off track and he is a different person, always has a joke and never turns his nose to anyone willing to talk, very similar to Craig Lowndes in a way. In the car he is someone who is dedicated I think. Like Toto Wolf said about Rosberg and Hamilton, if you don't get disappointed over team orders or angry over an incident then you shouldn't be in the sport as you aren't pushing to the maximum. Even Dan Riccardo gets angry in the car. If you hard some driver bombing in taking you out like Kyvat and Verstappen I would be pretty annoyed too. The others on the list of nice people though I agree. Massa was one who deserves a title, and the only real big name in the likes of Rosberg, Button and the other experienced people without one. In saying that, we all focus on Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari, yet we all seem to ignore that the Williams isn't too far off at all and making the top 2 work for their money, Massa finished ahead of a car from all three teams in practice and was right on Ferrari and Mercedes.

Please. The Japanese culture is the problem? Yes, to answer your question, you are "just talking out of your behind". What you're saying is incredibly stereotypical and simplistic....
Yeah, I was thinking pretty much the same.
The thesis about Japanese `rocket science´ hierarchy I think are way overblown.
This is not WWII anymore. Or samurai/ninjas period. So guess it must be something else ...what makes them slow. In all possible area slow. =/

Unless, of course, I'm very much mistaken... :D
I mean unless you have some firm evidence bram.
Or insider, at least. :geek:

edit:
Oh you quoted me @mceci1 but, tbh, you have done quite a lousy job in doing that so I couldn't even noticed it. Anyway... dunno, maybe you're right (in some parts:D) of your essay, maybe many of them just look like an *holes in car and in pits and in paddock and on press conferences but they are in general not that bad people ...really, who knows? We're not their best buddies to know that.
Last night I stumbled at video on youtube, I guess YT "recommend" that to me, cuz I was watching that Alonso video and the video was like "you think Ronaldo (footballer) is arrogant, watch this and then decide". What can I tell you... maybe my mindset is set a little bit differently now. :) So hopefully I "stumble" at all those drivers from above same kind of videos. I really hope they exist ...somewhere.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back