Alonso: "The Team Are All Ready To Win Except Honda"

alonso honda.jpg
Fernando Alonso has criticised Honda, calling for an immediate response from the engine manufacturers in answer to the team’s disastrous preseason testing.

McLaren are far behind their planned testing programme due to engine problems both last week and this week. Now, with only two more days of testing, Alonso has blamed Honda for the team’s problems.

“I don’t think we are too far back with the chassis, we have only one problem, which is the power unit,” Alonso said. “There is no reliability and there is no power. We are 30kph down on the straight.”

It’s understandable to see why Alonso is frustrated. The Spaniard estimated that McLaren have completed about two days’ worth of testing.

He explained that expectations were higher this year due to the regulation change, and that he still has the motivation to win with McLaren, but he doesn’t seem to believe Honda share that motivation.

“The team are all ready to win except Honda,” he told the Spanish media.​

It doesn’t seem that the miserable testing season has totally extinguished Alonso’s hope in a good season.

“We are not matching our expectations but, on the other hand, it is only winter testing and the season is long enough that you have time to react,” he said. “But, right now, you cannot say we are happy or that things are going ok.

“I am confident that this year will be competitive. I don’t know at which point of the year, but we will be competitive and I want to win races. The team will be fully ready for Australia and to compete at a good level. The only question is how much power we will have.”

Alonso also said he was enjoying the balance of the car and believes the chassis feels good, giving more hope that the team will be able to move past the difficult preseason.

For more thoughts on Formula One and the latest news, head to the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Is it fair to blame the team’s problems only on Honda, or have McLaren played their own part in their downfall? Do you share Alonso’s “confidence” that the team will be competitive this year? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

you can't blame Alonso for this statement. he's frustrate as hell for the third year thrown in the trash because of Honda's unreliable engine. and he's not getting any younger :p

it's really, really sad to see McLaren in this state.

Honda should fire Alonso for comments like that.

No wonder Fred has driven himself out of top drives due to his big mouth.

Fred salary is 20+ million per season and yet he feels need to vent to press when things are not going his way.

Fred salary is 20+ million per season and yet he feels need to vent to press when things are not going his way.

If you had some junk bucket Honda Engine you would be angry too. Honda also doesn't have a say in what happens with drivers that's up to McLaren. I'd say it wont be long before we see Honda disappear from F1 again, McLaren must be sick of them and the sooner the better. Bring in a new power unit from Mercedes or something with a chance on last more than 5 minutes without blowing up. I'd hate to imagine the bill on the engines

All of this Alonso drama has really warmed me to him. Such a shame he doesn't have a competitive car, I remember him lapping in the lead like a metronome.

A full year of unrestricted bench testing prior to re-entering F1...plus two whole seasons of on-track running is more than sufficient time.
It's not like they haven't built an F1 engine before...regardless of the new design and ancillary bits.
I'd expect this from a new engine manufacturer with no prior experience.
It's time to get it together.
I can certainly understand his frustration this time around.

Sad to start a season in this state...not good for Alonso and bad for Stoffel. Hopefully the team can hold their heads up by doing whatever they can to at least finish races.

They honestly need to look elsewhere in terms of engines I feel. Honda is a joke, like it has been said they have built an engine so no excuse

Wow, as someone who lived through the years of total Honda F1 dominance from 1986 to 1991, I find this pretty shocking. Honda also had, by 2004, the most powerful V10 on the grid (and reliable too).

Maybe they let their best people go after the panic of the 2008 economic crisis that also shut down their F1 team?

Soichiro must be rolling in his grave, seeing what's happened to one of the greatest racing engine makers of all time :(

Honda should fire Alonso only if he says something that is not true. What he said is the truth and his career is basically at the end because of Honda. It's not a surprise that Alonso is frustrated... looks like Honda doesn't care about F1.

I would love to agree with the negativity after all its been 2 years now of embrassement for Mcclaren racing but Honda have a race engine pedigree a fact also true of their road cars (not just race cars) is they are super reliable.

I expect some serious ass kicking is going on at Honda at the moment if not it's a bit like taking all the hard work Honda marketing to do for their cars and shoving it in the trash years of building a brand doesn't come easy so some one is going to get fired and things will happen hopefully for McClaren quickly.

Unless Honda really have given up on F1 and surely then the question must why would they return in 2015 if they didn't want to play anymore.

Ok it hasn't been quite like the late 80's early 90's climb back to fame and fortune or the return everyone anticipated but a very big reputation is at stake and Japanese are know for their tenacity.

They will come good for Mcclaren (fingers crossed) but I wouldn't want be Yusuke Hasegawa any time soon as only so many excuses can be acceptable. I hope McClaren have put a massive penalty clause in the Honda deal as they might need it if things aren't sorted soon.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back