AC: Update Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ! Can't see this thread anymore so... What do you guys think the new build will bring up to the table?

Because these days its photos and future content, but I'd myself rather enjoy a 1.0 release ! With proper collisions etc... Anyone got news?

Probably just steam achievements. Which is just fine by me as long as I can create my own races and championships with all the cars I want. I'd imagine that it is not the career mode some of the most career mode focused people are waiting though... For that kind of thing I'd imagine forzas or pcars do it better. Gran turismos are all about dull grinding though so hopefully it is not like that at all though...
During the press day, they had the whole power point presentation, and on one slide there was a point that said "No Grinding". So we can be sure that there's none of that. From what Kunos tend to do with racing, and the priorities they have with the sim, I think the motivation will be Steam achievements, and just plain-old winning.

I'm liking the look of the screenshots detailing the career mode.

For me, I like the ability to add of bit of structure to a session, and that looks right on the money.

In the past the overblown career modes have killed otherwise enjoyable games for me, I couldn't get through either Dirt or the recent rounds of F1 games because they talk to the player like an idiot and waste time on dibble, and in games like Forza I found it too restrictive.

Isn't Suzuka the last genuine F1 figure 8 track in the Southern Hemisphere, actually I think it's the last F1 figure 8 track worldwide, this alone is a good reason to laser scan it. Would be a shame for this not to occur, and typical that greed would stop it from happening, such a sad world at times :cautious:

Well you just need some graphic effects and lowering grip on track and thats all :D

Then reverse the grip levels on/off line compared to dry racing, at least after, and up to a point of how wet it is. Too little water, and the difference gets washed out (no pun intended) by the dirt and marbles off line, too much water, and it becomes more or less the same off and on line. And in the middle of this, it's more grip off the ideal dry-line than on.

It's far more than "lower grip" and "add effects".

This is where everyone struggles. Though, Grand Prix 3 and 4 had somewhat good drying lines! (and by such, also gradually wetter lines) in what appeared to be logical and real speed. They also lacked the grip differences

time will tell what other tracks we can expect for AC... I still have hopes for Suzuka though.
Regarding real rain simulation I hope this will come on the AC agenda some day, with moving windshield whipers and nice drops ;-) Oh: and FOG!

Last edited:
Actually I had a lengthy conversation with Aris this morning; while most of what was said was in confidence I can assure you that multiple light sources aren't happening anytime soon. This graphics engine was designed to achieve x amount of fps using x amount of GPU power. There is no way currently to use multiple light sources and still stay within the performance parameters they had set.

They made a list of things for the 'perfect' sim and then had to make compromises so that it would actually run on more than a supercomputer. Using real time physics calculations for triggering active aero was important enough to them that it had to stay included. Having the AI use real time physics instead of simply running a predetermined speed on a predetermined line was another of the features that they felt important enough to keep. We won't even start on the tire model that includes graining, blistering, flatspotting, heat cycles, and a host of other things. (he actually laughed out loud when talking about seeing people call AC's tire model 'simple')

All of these things and dozens more have a cost that must be paid in the form of pc performance. When they investigated how people actually play online they found that very few (less than 5%) people actually use the night or weather function of the different sims. Everybody wants to make a lap of Spa at night, in the rain, with a tire puncture; but they only want to do it once. If you have to cut a feature, cutting something that very few people would ever actually use more than a handful of times seems like a no-brainer IMO.

Well we know that Reiza managed to do all you could wish for (exept rain)... Great physics, active aero, flatspots, night racing with dyn. lights, one of best ffb, pitstops, solid ai all runing on medicore PC with graphics good enough to be enjoyable ... So is not impossible.. just maybe not with this engine..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back