AC: Stuttering reduction

What can a user do to reduce or eliminate stuttering even in practice runs where their are no other cars on the track?

With Lotus F1 on Monza track I sometimes get as many as 6 stutters per lap, sometimes its 0 which is great.

What is the key cause of stuttering when running AC local vs MP which involves network response time as well as AC MP implementation?

Background:

My system: CPU: Intel i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz (some small amount overclocking was installed from Main Performance)
Video: NVIDIA | EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti to 3 ASUS VE278Q 27” monitors 85hz refresh

I use a SSD memory for the AC install (The SSD is my C: drive)
My cpu usage is about 26% when AC is running. Processor Affinity shows all checked (0 to 8), Priority=Normal,
window resource monitor shows the cpus are getting used and none are any where near 100%, more like 40-50% and there are graphics showing PARKED cpus.

I turned off the car interior controllable items: no wheel, no driver arms.
I set Frame Limit to match my monitor max at 85.
FRAPS shows FPS will dip to 67 in some corners.
I tried reducing smoke generation and mirror resolution, I turned blur off completely.
I have not turn off HDR yet.
I have not tried to us msconfig and kill all background processes. I typically have firefox running in the background
which is the larger memory user (then Spyhunter4, explorer, LCore, office.bin, Steam....)
I have not tried to ALT-TAB out of AC when I see stuttering to see what is running with the resource monitor.
After I ran the resource monitor and looked at the CPU tab and saw a number of PARKED cpus I downloaded and ran a disable parking utility (edits the registry). This seems to have helped. Any problem with doing this?

http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

AC settings: Fullscreen Rendering ON | Triple Screen ON (6065x1080) | Vsync - OFF | Frame Limit - 85 | Aniso x 8 | AA x 4 | FXAA x 3 | Shadows -Low | World Detail - Maximum | HDR Color Sat On @ 92%| Smoke Generation – Low||Smoke in Mirrors OFF| Motion Blur - OFF | Mirror Resolution High| CubeMaps at Low | Faces per Frame - 4

Last edited:
What can a user do to reduce or eliminate stuttering even in practice runs where their are no other cars on the track?

With Lotus F1 on Monza track I sometimes get as many as 6 stutters per lap, sometimes its 0 which is great.

What is the key cause of stuttering when running AC local vs MP which involves network response time as well as AC MP implementation?

Background:

My system: CPU: Intel i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz (some small amount overclocking was installed from Main Performance)
Video: NVIDIA | EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti to 3 ASUS VE278Q 27” monitors 85hz refresh

I use a SSD memory for the AC install (The SSD is my C: drive)
My cpu usage is about 26% when AC is running. Processor Affinity shows all checked (0 to 8), Priority=Normal,
window resource monitor shows the cpus are getting used and none are any where near 100%, more like 40-50% and there are graphics showing PARKED cpus.

I turned off the car interior controllable items: no wheel, no driver arms.
I set Frame Limit to match my monitor max at 85.
FRAPS shows FPS will dip to 67 in some corners.
I tried reducing smoke generation and mirror resolution, I turned blur off completely.
I have not turn off HDR yet.
I have not tried to us msconfig and kill all background processes. I typically have firefox running in the background
which is the larger memory user (then Spyhunter4, explorer, LCore, office.bin, Steam....)
I have not tried to ALT-TAB out of AC when I see stuttering to see what is running with the resource monitor.
After I ran the resource monitor and looked at the CPU tab and saw a number of PARKED cpus I downloaded and ran a disable parking utility (edits the registry). This seems to have helped. Any problem with doing this?

http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager

http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/Disable-CPU-Core-Parking-Utility

AC settings: Fullscreen Rendering ON | Triple Screen ON (6065x1080) | Vsync - OFF | Frame Limit - 85 | Aniso x 8 | AA x 4 | FXAA x 3 | Shadows -Low | World Detail - Maximum | HDR Color Sat On @ 92%| Smoke Generation – Low||Smoke in Mirrors OFF| Motion Blur - OFF | Mirror Resolution High| CubeMaps at Low | Faces per Frame - 4
Hi rick see if you have hyper threading enabled , if u have try disabling it and see . My game stuttered after the 22 update but after disabling hyperthreading its fine now.

Hi rick see if you have hyper threading enabled , if u have try disabling it and see . My game stuttered after the 22 update but after disabling hyperthreading its fine now.
I did disable of hyper-threading (and reported in earlier post). That did help but little after my system went to the factory for warranty repair (motherboard) and rebuild of the OS, hyper-threading is back at the default and I dont plan to change it since I have almost 0 jerks or stutters now vs the old issue of 3-4 per lap. What is different? I my system has a new motherboard Z87->Z97 and they replaced my older Nvidia 780Ti card with new 780Ti superclocked card and I added a 2nd 780Ti card for SLI.
Both GPUs run in AC at about 98-99% and framerate is about 160-190 with a few dips below 100.

FYI: setting below are my current ones based on Main Performance recommendations
  • AC in game settings:Triple Screen ON (5760x1080), Rendering mode Triple Screen, Fullscreen Rendering ON, Vsync - OFF, Frame Limit OFF, AF 16, AA 4,World Detail Very High,Shadows Very Low, Smoke Generation ON, Smoke in Mirrors OFF, Enable Post processing:Overall quality HIGH, High Glare: Ultra, DOF: off, Color Sat 92%, Motion Blur OFF, FXAA: Off, Camer shake 0, In-game overlap Off, Display time gap checked, lock camera to horizon checked, hide driver arms checked, lock virtual steering wheel checked, hide virtual steering wheel, rotation limit off. Mirror Resolution HIGH, High Quality Mirror reflections checked on, Cubemaps Resolution LOW, Faces per Frame 6, Graphics.ini: Maximum_Frame_Latency=1
  • Nvida Control panel settings: Ambient Occlusion OFF, Anisotropic Filtering 16x, Anti-aliasing–FXAA OFF, Gamma Correction ON, AA mode Override any app setting, AA 4x, AA Transparency Multisample , CUDA - GPUs: ALL, Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames Use the 3d application setting, Multi-display/Mixed-GPU Acceleration: Multi display performance mode, Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance, Shader Cace On, Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimization: OFF, TF Negative LOD Bias: ALLOW, TF Quality Quality, TF Trilinear optimization: ON. Threaded Optimization: Auto, Triple Buffering OFF, Vertical Sync: OFF
  • PC specs Main Performance x4000k, windows7 pro, i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz no overclocking), Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gamer 7. Video: NVIDIA | 2 GTX 780Ti Superclocked 3Gb SLI driving 3 ASUS VE278Q 27” monitors that have a 85hz spec rate.
  • Running SimVibe and 4 Mini SE buttkickers and Emotiva 5 channel UPA-500 amp

Wow Thanks allot. Finally someone just put all the settings for me just to follow.....Amazing working much better.
i am getting 60 fps solid no pauses.
My specs are
I990x extreme @ 4ghz gigabyte g31 sniper 24gb kingston ram 2 x gigabyte 780tioc 2 x sumsung 250gb ssd 3 x asus 27" mons Win 7 64
Why do you suppose i get 60 instead of 100 ?
Thanks heaps anyway it is looking and driving better than ever before.

Wow Thanks allot. Finally someone just put all the settings for me just to follow.....Amazing working much better.
i am getting 60 fps solid no pauses.
My specs are
I990x extreme @ 4ghz gigabyte g31 sniper 24gb kingston ram 2 x gigabyte 780tioc 2 x sumsung 250gb ssd 3 x asus 27" mons Win 7 64
Why do you suppose i get 60 instead of 100 ?
Thanks heaps anyway it is looking and driving better than ever before.
check if you have vsync or a fps limit enabled in the AC opitions or your gpu drivers

Sorry my fault..i hadn't noticed two entries for acs.exe in my nvidia control panel. Adjusted it with your settings and the game looks amazing and get 120 to 140 fps.....Its like a new game. Thanks heaps . I have turned up shadows to low and still good but when i put to medium drops at the start of a race to 60. Thanks for your settings and knowledge..

VERY IMPORTANT: Turn V-SYNC on in game and turn it on in CatalystControlCenter.
*Important thing is that you MUST turn it ON in CatalystControlCenter. (or NVidia control center)
I use adaptive vsync on my gtx 780 and with all cars stays locked at 60 even in replays with very high detail.any other vsync mode caused stutter.i also set this MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY=1
for almost zero input lag :)

I had some weird stuttering on random places on basically all tracks, independent of graphic settings. I run 2x770GTX 4GB SLI, i7 3770K, 16G RAM triple 27" monitors and have smooth locked 60 FPS on basically all high settings except for theses "hickups".

Well, the cure was to lower Replay size, I had it set on max (512MB) because I hade been recording some full races. Lowered that to Min (12MB) and the hickups totally dissapeared.

Did you see the jerks before the 12M limit was reached? I do. 12M is about 6 laps, 1 driver.
Wonder if you can go lower than 12M in some control file. Bye the way, I see 10Mb in the General Max replay file size and using this low value still results in Jerks, BUT I have some apps running that I think is the issue. F1 2014 HUD and ACTI. I talked to the author of F1 2014 and he says its related to AC development debug data in the LOG. Someday this will be removed or a switch should be provided to turn off the debug data. So if I try turning off ALL 3rd party apps its better BUT not perfect. (only 4 laps tried). With all apps off (performance delta for example) I still got 1 small jerk per lap.

Attachments

• No apps but still get jerks. wider as time goes on Aacs 2014-10-09 09-59-13-69-Time.png
    No apps but still get jerks. wider as time goes on Aacs 2014-10-09 09-59-13-69-Time.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 337

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea