4 Point Harness - The best bang for buck immersion mod!

Hey guys.. this post is based on my experiences using VR.. they do not necessarily apply to triples or singles screen users!

To some this is going to be lame.. to others.. familiar.. so take from it what you will!

When I had my Next Level V3 Motion platform I bought a 4 point harness to strap myself firmly into the chair while I was getting thrown around! After I sold the V3 I went back to just the seat.. no harness.. I found that I actually missed the feeling of being pinned into the seat more than I missed the motion.. And the feeling of the belts on the shoulders really added to the sensation of being in the car it looks like you're in..

I run sim vibe and that is hit and miss... the V3 was hit and miss... but the simplicity of the 4 point harness hits the spot every time..

You can pick one up for less than $100... so give it a go if you haven't already.. i think you will surprised!

...and no I don't wear a race suit!! ;)

That is all..

Its likely that the harness with having you strapped in is helping to improve the felt tactile as it secures you tight to the seat.

Whatever helps someone feel comfortable or immersed more is always a good thing.
You have reminded me I have a harness in a box somewhere that was never used.

No need for a race suit...
Now what about these and drinking from a motorsport themed mug :)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Race cars don't come with one.
Do you need to bolt straps to rig somehow or there is another way?

Upvote 0
Dont pay 100$+ for retail Sparco's, when in reality knock off's will do just fine.

Most belts come with a Large 8mm Eye Bolt you can find a way to secure. some come with a standard clip and the Eye Bolts.

3" is HIGHLY suggested <<==== Link
PS yes it says Sparco on the belts when you get them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was tempted twice to get a second hand V3 and my gut kept my wallet safe... now, the harness...
sounds even harder to explain to a significant other :)

Upvote 0
4" is HIGHLY suggested <<==== Link
PS yes it says Sparco on the belts when you get them.
What do you mean by 4" is highly suggested? Your link goes to a 3" webbing version..?

Edit, lol, I was going to take a lazy punt for $20 until I realised the postage almost triples that amount.
I'd be slightly worried about the additional load on the motion rig motors too, even if springs were used. Plus, I think strapping a harness on every time I sat down would end up being an annoyance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mmmm.. I've got a NLV3 motion platform. Does a harness really make that much of a difference?

I use the harness that came with the NL cockpit on my NLV3. I wouldn't say I notice a remarkable difference when it comes to the actual motion effects but it does add another tick to the realism factor by having the feeling of being strapped in. The same way sim driving using gloves and shoes adds to the experience even if they aren't essential.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After further thought I think pass entirely, TBH. I have my NLV3 set to give quite subtle movements, just to reinforce and complement what I'm experiencing through the VR headset. A harness might help with that but it's certainly not necessary to keep me in my seat. I think I'd just end up finding it annoying.

Upvote 0
After further thought I think pass entirely, TBH. I have my NLV3 set to give quite subtle movements, just to reinforce and complement what I'm experiencing through the VR headset. A harness might help with that but it's certainly not necessary to keep me in my seat. I think I'd just end up finding it annoying.
No it's not to keep you in your seat.. it's to feel the pressure against your shoulders and the pressure of your body against the seat.. it also makes sure you can't move anything but your arms and legs! But yeah it might not be your thing!

Upvote 0

Accurate vibration in the pedals would add way more to feel and developing skills than a harness. I ran 6 points in my track car and that was mainly so i'm not swimming in the seat of giving myself leg cramps with the dead pedal.

Upvote 0
I never drive without my 4-point harness on, same goes for racing glove by the way.

Without the seatbelts i feel like i'm sitting on top of the GS-4 with NLMv3, with the 4 point harness strapped in i feel like i'm sitting in the car

Upvote 0
What do you mean by 4" is highly suggested? Your link goes to a 3" webbing version..?

Edit, lol, I was going to take a lazy punt for $20 until I realised the postage almost triples that amount.
I'd be slightly worried about the additional load on the motion rig motors too, even if springs were used. Plus, I think strapping a harness on every time I sat down would end up being an annoyance.

Meant to put 3"....doh.

Motor's technically wont care about the belts unless you have them INSANELY tight and super Heavy duty springs.

Anyone who hasn't tried belts on a motion rig has No idea what they are missing for the immersion factor and overall feelz.

Upvote 0
I've never fitted mine (which came with my rig) but thinking about it now, aside from the feeling of having it on, when you're in VR and looking down you also see the harness on your 'virtual' body. I'm pretty sure most sims have harnesses on the drivers?!?

EDIT - I have a day off tomorrow so I'll be digging it out and hooking it up :)

Upvote 0
I know what you are getting at, I just ordered my first sim rig and made sure to get the smaller size seat instead of the default bigger option even though I don't have any motion just feeling the seat hold me a bit more will add to the experience a little I think. I won't be adding a harness myself as I feel it would become annoying over time, but I get where you are coming from. Better keep that keyboard and mouse within arms reach if you do though.

Upvote 0
Actually now that you mention it... it can get annoying if you get all strapped in and realise you’ve left your gloves out of reach.. or the mouse falls off... or you didn’t turn on the simucube.. or one of the USB devices isn’t recognised... etc... but it’s still worth it!;)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back