3d Printed F1 Wheel

Interesting project James and nice CAD work, I'm also a solidworks user, great software.

I suppose there are a few options....

1. Selling "fully built" wheels...but people would then expect Alcantara grips etc. for which you would need skills > CAD design. Warranty claims / breakages etc. to consider.

2. Sell self-assembly kits (printed parts + switch gear + screens/leds etc, with assembly instructions).

3. Sell just the 3D printed parts , with a list of parts the customer needs to buy separately to complete the wheel.

4. Sell only the STL files....together with a list of other parts required, as a pure DIY solution.

Out of interest, what wheel-base have you tested on? Is a 3D printed wheel sufficiently strong to survive on a DD wheel?

I'm currently in the market for a wheel for an OSW>

Upvote 0
Interesting project James and nice CAD work, I'm also a solidworks user, great software.

I suppose there are a few options....

1. Selling "fully built" wheels...but people would then expect Alcantara grips etc. for which you would need skills > CAD design. Warranty claims / breakages etc. to consider.

2. Sell self-assembly kits (printed parts + switch gear + screens/leds etc, with assembly instructions).

3. Sell just the 3D printed parts , with a list of parts the customer needs to buy separately to complete the wheel.

4. Sell only the STL files....together with a list of other parts required, as a pure DIY solution.

Out of interest, what wheel-base have you tested on? Is a 3D printed wheel sufficiently strong to survive on a DD wheel?

I'm currently in the market for a wheel for an OSW>

Hi there ben,

I use suede material for the handles (i really need to get some more pics up). Each handle is in two halves, so i coat each half in contact adhesive and then layer on the suede.

I tested it thoroughly on and OSW direct drive wheel, although I have also used it on the Fanatec bases and Thrustmaster. Its pretty rock solid.

I know what you are saying about warranty etc, its a bit of a minefield.

The only problem with selling the 3d files is that people will just share them.

Upvote 0
I enjoyed my OSW wheel but I used to treat it like the hind legs of a donkey, If you have kids who would be using your rig I wouldn't bother, its just too dangerous.

I have went back to a Fantec after selling the OSW and I am happy enough to be honest.

I have started using Fusion 360 now, you should check it out, £36 a month.

Upvote 0
I know where you're coming from, but luckily no kids and no pets in the house so its safe, and I know to treat it with respect.

What kind of money would you be thinking for an assembled wheel?

I like Fusion 360, it's even free for non-commercial use, but I've grown so used to Solidworks I find it hard to use anything else.

Upvote 0
Hi! I would love the option of buying a DIY kit with all the parts included in the box with some instructions. That should lower the entry price and should not be a big deal, so everybody could mount them.

And the you could sell a mounted wheel.

Maybe the DIY kits are just basic wheels with some buttons (for VR use f.e) and the mounted ones some with more electronics, LCD, leds...

Upvote 0
Hi! I would love the option of buying a DIY kit with all the parts included in the box with some instructions. That should lower the entry price and should not be a big deal, so everybody could mount them.

And the you could sell a mounted wheel.

Maybe the DIY kits are just basic wheels with some buttons (for VR use f.e) and the mounted ones some with more electronics, LCD, leds...
Thanks for your input :)

Selling the assembled plastic bodies only (with suede handles) was my first thought, as I can churn them out without having to spend large amounts of time wiring up the electronics. People could then buy the components to populate them direct from Leo bodnar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes