3080 enough for a new VR headset?

I am considering a Pimax 5k Super VR headset, which is 2560x1440 per eye (for comparison, the Reverb G2 is 2160x2160 per eye) and I'm only interested in AC (not ACC). Do you think a 3080 would be enough for very high settings and 120 fps? Or shoud I go for the 3080Ti? I know the 4090 would be the best choice, but It's way too expensive and I don't want to change my PC case and power supply. My CPU is a 10700KF.

I used to have a 11700/3080 ti with a g2. I now run a varjo aero with a 13700/4090. the aero has about the same amount of pixels to push than the g2 (because there are more pixels to run on g2 because of barrel distorsion correction). in VR, every little bit helps. if you can get a 3080 ti, I suggest you do.

I'll go for the 3080Ti then. I suppose the 3090 is not worth just for Assetto Corsa. Its performance is the same but has much more memory. I doubt AC will benefit from it.

I'm also considering the Valve Index instead of the Pimax. The index is 400€ cheaper and easier to use. Both have more or less the same image quality but the Pimax has a higher resolution to fill an inmense FOV, so that may be a problem to have good performance in AC with high graphic detail. I no longer want to be worried all the time about the framerate like now with my old 1080Ti, which is on the limit with my Rift S.

Last edited:
I'll go for the 3080Ti then. I suppose the 3090 is not worth just for Assetto Corsa. Its performance is the same but has much more memory. I doubt AC will benefit from it.

I'm also considering the Valve Index instead of the Pimax. The index is 400€ cheaper and easier to use. Both have more or less the same image quality but the Pimax has a higher resolution to fill an inmense FOV, so that may be a problem to have good performance in AC with high graphic detail. I no longer want to be worried all the time about the framerate like now with my old 1080Ti, which is on the limit with my Rift S.
Have you considered the G2?
after the aero, its the clarity king.

Have you considered the G2?
after the aero, its the clarity king.
High resolution, sharp and clear image, nice colors, good contrast... all that is always welcomed but it's not my priority. Since I first tried the Rift S, the one thing I miss the most is FOV and that's where the Pimax excels. I need more realistic FOV for better inmersion and sense of speed. I'm sure that will be the game changer for me. The G2 has a limited FOV, as well as other problems such as bad tracking, so that is basically why I discarded it.

I have finally got a Pimax 5K+, used but in very good condition. I have purchased it to a online store, so I have 1 year of warranty. I got it for 400€, which is not bad considering that the Super is sold new (choices in my country are very limited) for more than 870€. I also liked the idea of the basic elastic strap, instead of the bulky rigid strap provided with the Super, which makes impossible the use of my own headphones, and is uncomfortable (or so they say).

I have also ordered 3 base stations (lighthouses), which should arrive in a week or so. I don't know if I will be able to use my headset meanwhile without them, but at least I will test it and adjust its configuration.

As regard the graphic card, the situation is really absurd. If you think the prices in the US are high, come to my country. The prices of everything increase every day, while the salaries are as low as always, 1 € is now less than 1$, the hardware developers do not lower the prices of already obsolete devices and the local sellers increase those prices even more, much more. 800€ for a 3080 is now considered a bargain. 1200€ for a 3080Ti... and so on. I don't know which one I will finally choose. I have the money, but I don't like paying abusive prices.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea