2017 Formula One Australian Grand Prix

When they win there is nothing more beautiful than the Italian passion of the Ferrari team.

This is so true Bram. Their love of drivers and driving still burns. And they got some more fire to play with this year.

Austrian commentator about Stroll before he retired:
"Das ist Lance Stroll, der die Vögel vom Albert Park verscheucht"
in English:
"This is Lance Stroll who scares the birds away from Albert Park"
:confused::roflmao::laugh:

One of these days, a teenage "pay" driver is going to kill someone.

Last edited:
That was an exciting race -- and most agree -- but a start to an even more exciting era. Compared to the Schumacher era, almost anything is better. After Schumacher, F1 had some very good years seeing Alonso, Hamilton, Button and Raikkonen win Championships. After that, a kid named Sebasian Vettel won four in a row. Most people equate the Vettel years with boredom, but they were anything but to me. Ratings skyrocketed. Everyone knew Vettel was a prodigy and would win, but not because he was with the strongest team, etc.

There were battles everywhere people. Passing does not = battle. I can enjoy a "battle" as much or more even if there is no pass. I would think all of us can, having been there in virtual world. While the cars are awesome, the tires and extra fuel are the real key here. They both even things up more than the new design, since the DF+ cars of today are easier to drive with more talent and experience. The gap between drivers who should be in GP3 or F2 (e.g. 33% of the grid) and best (poor Fernando) is going to widen, thank God.

Finally, Finally, Finally! we got to see a real race at the end, not a management conference. To me, they were driving their balls off. And they confirmed it:

- Pat Symonds, the former Williams technical director, opined after the race that it looked like old school, with very intense racing, due to the drivers having more confidence, with passing being harder, but more rewarding, both for driver and fan. Pat could not be more right.

- Asked if the decision to pit Hamilton the win to Ferrari, Wolff said: “It’s not Christmas. Some you win and some you lose. Today we were not quick enough and Sebastian is a well-deserved winner.”

- The losers of the "let's-make-it-more-like-racing" era, of course, complained. Lewis complains because that's all he knows how to do. Vettel, Raikonnen, and Bottas did not. It was not a "strategy call" that won this race, and it was not the fact that Vettel came out ahead from the pits. In years past, both Bottas and Hamilton would have easily passed Vettel, either because of fuel and tire management, or because of their speed dominance. He would have been a sitting duck.

A few things still need tweaking. Like the T.V. antenna they attached to the rolling billboard in back. And that infernal four engine rule that keeps getting blamed for so much lack of action or kid-gloving with the equipment. I think the new management will put pressure on the FIA to change that because it's entirely detrimental to the racing and the sport.

I give props to Verstappen for being able to hold Hamilton off before he had to pit. More of Mercedes struggling in the season please :p

Anyway, today was a pretty good race and I'm looking forward for the rest of the season. I feel pretty bad for Ricciardo for not being able to finish the race though :(

First race i missed since '92. And i dont care much... Watched results from net after woke up and coffee, i was like oh... Ferrari won? Oh my... I bet if they win once more time during this year, Mercedes will announce their retirement from series after constant losing after this season. Or middle of it... If the series go to the direction where driver have its meaning again not just relying on aero, while using skills around mechanical grip and cars have raw power plus better sound. I might be more interested again. But now, just checking series here and there, more likely go outside and enjoy weather or smth.

Congrats to Ferrari!

First race with new cars, not so exciting for me in terms of close fields and battles.
F1 needs to get back to a stage where no one knows who will win till the last couple laps on a variety of tracks.

Reserve judgement till the next two races.

Glad to see Ferrari finally winning!
Bravo Vettel :D

Hopefully this season will be a great head to head with Mercs.
Too bad Raikkonen is always struggling with the car, by the way.

Forza Ferrari

Completely agree with Rob. Battles do not equal overtaking. If you can easily overtake and do so 30 times in a race it loses its value. Today's race was tense. It was hard to overtake, as it should be. A battle that lasts for 30 minutes and doesn't have a single overtake can be amazing.

Also, the cars look great! And they are seriously fast! Looking forward to more records being broken. ;)

Completely agree with Rob. Battles do not equal overtaking. If you can easily overtake and do so 30 times in a race it loses its value. Today's race was tense. It was hard to overtake, as it should be. A battle that lasts for 30 minutes and doesn't have a single overtake can be amazing.

Also, the cars look great! And they are seriously fast! Looking forward to more records being broken. ;)
I agree up to a point but there was no tension in that race today other than at the start and a few laps after and then at the pit stops. It never looked like anyone was going to be able to make a challenge to the car ahead except for a few places down the field.

That may just be this track because it's never been that exciting here so I'll hope it improves for China and we get some real tension.

Last edited:
Incredibly boring race in 2016, Mercedes wins: Booo, F1 sucks
Incredibly boring race in 2017, a non Mercedes car wins: Amazing race! Who cares about overtaking, it wasn't that important!

It was basically a race of the mid 2000s era, waiting until a pitstop decides (or not) the result of the race.

Incredibly boring race in 2016, Mercedes wins: Booo, F1 sucks
Incredibly boring race in 2017, a non Mercedes car wins: Amazing race! Who cares about overtaking, it wasn't that important!

It was basically a race of the mid 2000s era, waiting until a pitstop decides (or not) the result of the race.

Again, if you watch a battle where 2 cars are very close but no overtakes happen for 30 minutes and you find that boring, you might be missing the point of the sport. Also, since when is overtaking via pit strategy considered bad, or boring?

By the way, implying the 2000s were bad for the sport is hilarious.

Is there a reason Hamilton was being booed off when he was announced on the podium? Also when he received his trophy the crowd booed again.
Because he is NOTGENTLEMAN racer. Remember last race His behavior against Rosberg. This is not a judgment about His talent, That is probably the greatest in this era.

Again, if you watch a battle where 2 cars are very close but no overtakes happen for 30 minutes and you find that boring, you might be missing the point of the sport. Also, since when is overtaking via pit strategy considered bad, or boring?

By the way, implying the 2000s were bad for the sport is hilarious.

I didn't imply that it was bad, it was a comparison. And about the race, I simply tried to point out how the judgement changes when a non Mercedes car wins, despite nothing really changing.

Regarding the question of overtaking via pit strategy, again nothing against it, but I do have memory. And I know what "the fans" were saying about that not many years ago. But Mercedes didn't win so who cares. If Hamilton wins 15 races in a row I want to see how many people will still defending "overtaking isn't important" etc.

I didn't imply that it was bad, it was a comparison. And about the race, I simply tried to point out how the judgement changes when a non Mercedes car wins, despite nothing really changing.

Regarding the question of overtaking via pit strategy, again nothing against it, but I do have memory. And I know what "the fans" were saying about that not many years ago. But Mercedes didn't win so who cares. If Hamilton wins 15 races in a row I want to see how many people will still defending "overtaking isn't important" etc.

Well I think the people who complained about 2016 did so because of the dominance of the Mercedes, which we don't have now. Truth be told one team dominating isn't that bad of a deal for the sport, although it can make some races boring if you support another team.

So yeah, this year it's looking very close and I think we're going to have some very exciting races, which won't please the people who want to see drivers constantly overtaking sitting ducks on destroyed tires. :)

I don't think that's an invalid reaction at all. Nobody wants to watch a competition with only one competitor. That, above all other things, is what has made F1 deadly dull for so long,

The very presence of a second potential race winner is exactly the change (most) everyone has been craving.

Maclaren need to sack it's technical director.
His personality seems to be one that imposes fear into his technical team rather than passion.
Fear is counter productive. Passion is what makes Ferrari great.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 6.8%