2014 Formula One Australian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
FIA only instructed RBR during the race because they saw something that was out of order. If RBR would've listened in time, no penalty.

FIA doesn't instruct teams how to run their race, that's not the case at all. Monitoring new the complex systems that has most of the magic happening at software level, that leaves a LOT of ways to cheat. It is similar to monitoring that teams respect white line rules, pitstop speed limit and both compounds are used during the race. They warn teams if someone is consistently cutting corners during the race. They could just do it all after the race, if that's what you want. Knowing that team x will receive a penalty and keeping that as a secret when there is still time to fix the issue. If something, teams should be greatfull for the instant feedback, the other choice is to hand out harsh penalties. The latter is worse, if you can correct the problematic behavior that breaks the rules in time, all parties then know what are the actual limits. Doing it later just leads to lawyers and courts and nothing is learned, teams would still be in the dark of just how much is tolerated. An example: driving lessons online, the difference is just out of this world when comparing to offline tutoring via videos and chat.. When the teacher can comment at the second you do something wrong, you understand the lesson in a totally another level.

Am i really the only one that wants stricter rules with clear definitions? Like this nose fiasco. Just say what is and what is not allowed, that all "x mm / y mm cross shape blaa blaa" simply does not work (i read the actual thing and played with the dimensoins and shapes for a while in 3D, it was clear after just ten minutes that it was a rubbish rule that leads to steps in shape, while it would've been so easy to just demand straight lines connecting the cross-sections as a bare minimum). I know they leave the rules a bit open not to stifle innovation but every team could've made their car work with more uniform low nose, if something, that would've cut costs. That was a major part of the new rule, to get rid of ugly noses.. And they got somehow even worse.

It is odd that more years you spend in this earth, good set of regulations are starting to make more and more sense and almost everything that isn't given some boundaries, fail.. Old rebel is getting old, i think :sleep:

Not only that, even if you would run at 50 kg/h (which would ensure you can finish the race with 100kg fuel, no matter what), no team would ever load "useless" fuel, so they would skip a few liters and again risk running out of fuel (the rules dictate a maximum fuel per race, not a minimum).

That is why the explanation of the 100kg/h flow to assist teams is plainly wrong. It would be still wrong even if Newey itself would have said that.

Regarding what Ted Kravitz said - I won't say I told you so...

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/03/why-f1-has-fuel-flow-sensors-in-2014/

Are you kidding?
Red Bull ARE the new Ferrari when it comes to things like this.

In fairness all the teams have always been at it, Adrian Newey knows the game as does Ross Brawn and Pat Symonds etc. Going back to Tyrrell and the ballbearings in the fuel tank. Ferrari being the Team of F1 usually have had the ear of the FIA (Ferrari International Assistance), like the mass damper episode and the reason why Michelin pulled out etc.

Its all a big game, but i dont think RBR were cheating on this occasion as the risk/reward is not there.

@Paul Smith
The rewards would obviously be reaped later, not in this race. The grey area fiddling is usually done over a period of time, to find something that is harder to detect.

Also, it could be RBR trying to get a precedent to use their own non-FIA measuring, as it would probably benefit them somehow. Otherwise i just can not understand the unwillingness to follow a directive from FIA, that carried a harsh warning.

As for politics and "the game" you're right, in that it has always been there. Newey, however, i have to hold as above the rest in this regard. His entire career is lined with controversial design work. And he is known more than anyone else, to push the boundaries even beyond reason. That is also the reason all teams would love to have him onboard, ofc.

It is obvious however that the biggest "grey-area" guys on the grid for the last years are RBR, sometimes it works for them, sometimes (like this time, or Vettels early RBR engine fires) it fails. As always with this type of thing.

But the controlled flow of the engine is there for a reason (holding back power) and the rules say it should be followed (and monitored by FIA). So in this case RBR should really back down, unless as i said, they're trying to gain precedence...

to agree not only on a maximum fuel quantity (i.e. 100kg) but also to a maximum fuel flow rate in order to ensure that a significant emphasis was placed on both improved whole vehicle efficiency and on reduced fuel consumption.

Emphasis = assistance? Maybe the problem was not Kravitz's after all...

What it says there is that the flow limit was put in to make things even more difficult . Precisely the opposite of helping.

Alberto is right that the fuel flow is not there to help curb the total fuel consumption. That's being already set to 100kg. The fuel flow restrictions are there to stop push-to-pass and qualy mappings. But Alberto is wrong that it was there to make things harder.

Also this sentence is very interesting: "I would add only that in Melbourne I spoke to two teams running Mercedes and Ferrari engines who said that they had had various conversations with the FIA during the weekend on this matter of sensor accuracy and had reached a satisfactory conclusion." (source) RBR just decided that what ever they had, was better than what FIA has in the regulations, which is unbelievably arrogant. They said to FIA "we know it better" and FIA said "nope, you don't". RBR leaving F1? Quite possibly the first step towards competing league, something that RBR might pull off. The whole team acts like immature teens rebelling against authority.

I personally think it's there to stop the Red Bulls (or any car for that matter) using a rich fuel mix to shoot off into the distance and building a 20+ second lead before the first pit stop, as Red Bull did every time they were on pole.

It stops the race being over after 15 laps.

Keeps the cars closer together and promotes more racing.

I personally think it's there to stop the Red Bulls (or any car for that matter) using a rich fuel mix to shoot off into the distance and building a 20+ second lead before the first pit stop, as Red Bull did every time they were on pole.

It stops the race being over after 15 laps.

Keeps the cars closer together and promotes more racing.

I don't know what F1 you have been watching for the last twenty years but the main performance factor has been aero.

Red Bull had the best designed package along with the best mapped engine, nothing to do with fuel flow. Also the best driver of those particular regulations.

I think Mercedes will also argue that they have the best package at the moment (most spent probably as well), Rosberg was cruising for that win, and Hamilton had a problem and would have walked second at least. I cannot see anyone beating Mercedes in a straight fight at least until we get to Europe. The race was over after 2 Laps.

Also if one manufacturer ran a rich mix, don't you think they would all be doing it as it is obviously not hard to do.

The performance gained by fuel flow running with a fuel limit is negligible. It's unnecessary.

Alberto is right that the fuel flow is not there to help curb the total fuel consumption. That's being already set to 100kg.

This would totally contradict the reasoning of the FIA and indeed the reporters, as it seems to be common knowledge that it is to assist lowering fuel consumption.

Anyways, it makes sense if you think about it. And I can't think of any other good reason to restrict the fuel flow.

It has to be remembered too that the cars don't run full throttle all the time - there are many corners, which will have the fuel flow at much less than 100kg/h.

The reason in my opinion to restrict the flow as well as usage would obviously be to circumvent teams doing something like a 1000bhp mapping for qualy, or fiddling with engine maps allowing them to get to dangerous levels of bhp and boost pressure.

It is also obvious like some have pointed out that many regulation changes ARE meant to stop the kind of antics RBR have been pulling the past three years. They have been in a very shady area with many things. Blown diffuser, semi legal engine mappings (or even illegal), suspension irregularities, possible illegal aero (floor, wingtips), possible suspected traction control by means of engine mapping fluctuations (very clever) and so forth.

So the regs hit RBR the hardest, as expected. And Vettel obviously, as he has become used to and mastered the old car.

But it is the beginning of this era. Give it time. The teams will all find new ways to cheat or bend the rules and we will be back as usual :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back