2012 FIA World Endurance Championship

FIA recevently revealed their plans for the World Endurance Championship (WEC)

The newly launched FIA WEC includes the historic Le Mans 24hrs and Sebring 12hrs races, apart from races at fan favourite F1 venues Spa-Francorrchamps, Silverstone and Interlagos. This is the first endurance series of world championship status since the World Sportscar Championship, which ended in 1992.

newsjan12012.jpg

Karun Chandhok, who has been in Formula One over the last two years with Hispania Racing and Team Lotus F1 is very excited about this new challenge.
"I'm very excited to join JRM Racing for the new World Endurance Championship this year. Of course, I am very happy to be racing again. At the end of 2011, we explored the options to race in F1 and when it didn't look like a possibility, I decided to look outside and the WEC presents the next best option. The cars are capable of speeds of over 360kmh, the calendar is fantastic and the quality of teams and drivers are very high."

The move to sportscar endurance racing represents a shift for Karun from single-seater sprint racing both in terms of race distance and also now sharing a car with 2 other drivers. The other two drivers for JRM Racing this year will be David Brabham and Peter Dumbreck who are well known names in the world of Sportscars.

newsjan2012.jpg

Doing races which are 6, 12 and even 24 hours are going to be a new challenge. Together with the works Audi and Peugeot the Acura LMP1 car that the JRM Racing Team have acquired should be one of the most competitive cars. James Rumsey who owns the team and Nigel Stepney who worked with the Ferrari F1 team in the Schumacher glory days and leads the technical side seem extremely motivated to do a good job" added Chandhok.

The series will feature multiple classes of cars competing in endurance races, with sports prototypes competing in the Le Mans Prototype categories, and production-based grand tourers competing in the GT Endurance categories. The iconic Le Mans 24hrs race is one of the jewels in the crown for any motorsport driver along with the Monaco Grand Prix and the Indy 500.

source

And not in the future. Today!
That was a surprise!

Peugeot has announced that it will end its endurance racing programme with immediate effect.
The French manufacturer had been Audi's main rival in sportscar racing, running the variants of its diesel 908 prototype in the Le Mans 24 Hours and associated series since 2007.
"This decision has been taken in the context of a difficult economic environment in Europe," Peugeot said in a statement on Wednesday. "Peugeot has chosen to concentrate resources on its sales performance in 2012."
Source

Server error when i click the link. Is this officially confirmed by Peugeot Motorsport?

Must have something to do with Le Mans not longer being an ACO only event. No more strange race director decisions in favor of the French drivers and manufacturers :)

Au Revoir! :)

Sad news indeed. I think we can pretty much congratulate Audi on winning all their races this season now as there is no-one able to match them and that is going to take away a lot of the interest as well.

So instead of Audi having a 50% chance of winning Le Mans they now have 100% chance..
I bet the next ten years Audi will boast with 10 consecutive wins in Le Mans..

Time to kill the whole diesel shinanigans in my opinion and start focus on real environmentally friendly energy sources.

This down right sucks. The battle Audi and Peugeot had in Lemans last year was incredible. I think it was the best fight in motorsports in 2011. Don't know what will happen now moving forward, as Audi literally will be racing in a class of their own.

Don't forget; Nissan is also considering returning to the LeMans battlefield... I agree, seeing Peugeot leave is sad news but there is plenty of cool stuff coming.

So instead of Audi having a 50% chance of winning Le Mans they now have 100% chance..
I bet the next ten years Audi will boast with 10 consecutive wins in Le Mans..

Time to kill the whole diesel shinanigans in my opinion and start focus on real environmentally friendly energy sources.

Hardly a 100% chance, remember that Toyota is returning and I'm sure they won't let Audi away that easily.

Hardly a 100% chance, remember that Toyota is returning and I'm sure they won't let Audi away that easily.

It´s a hybrid. They won´t have a chance unless they build a diesel engine. Same with Porsche.

2012, it´s only Audi.
2013, first year for Toyota
2014, first year for Porsche

Even if the car is just as quick over a lap it still means it will be dominated in the race due to the insane torque of the diesel engine. Everytime you slow down for traffic the diesel has a massive advantage.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.