2012 | 100 Laps of Mid Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco Bijl

Axe Travels
100lapsmidohi1.jpg

100 Laps of Mid Ohio - INTRO & INFO

The RaceDepartment staff expects people who sign up to read this entire article!

Event: 100 laps of Mid Ohio
Date: Sunday - 22nd July 2012
Platform: rFactor2
Class: Nissan GTR, Nissan 370Z, Maserati Cup 2012, Renault Megane
Track: Mid Ohio Without chicane
Broadcast: If possible
Driver Swaps: None

INTRODUCTION
Welcome to first official Racedepartment World Endurance Series event.
The Racedepartment World Endurance Series, or RDWES for short, is a series of (semi)endurance races we will hold during the year.
For this first episode, we will visit the Mid Ohio track in the USA. Mid Ohio Sports Car Course is a road course auto racing facility, located in Troy Township, Ohio US, just outside the village of Lexington. Since it’s opening in 1962, it has been optimized a few times, which results in the current layout available for rfactor2. The track is perfectly suited to host multiple classes running at once, with its wide lanes and overtake opportunities all around.
There will be NO driver swaps allowed in this event. Total race length is 100 laps, which will equal about 2.5 hours of racing.

AVAILABLE CARS
The cars available will all be from the GT classes. In addition to the GT Endurance Series by ISI, we have decided to include the Renault Megane Trophy, and the Maserati GT 2012.
RaceDepartment will try to stay up to date with the latest patches and releases of these mod’s. This list will be updated according to the latest decisions of the staff concerning implemented patches and releases.
Available choices will be:

GT1
Nissan GT-R

GT4
Nissan 370Z
Maserati GT

One-Make Racing
Renault Megane

SKINS
For this round, a custom MOD will be created. This mod will contain a few skins for each car, in Racedepartment style. Everyone is free to pick a skin from the available options.

SCHEDULE/SESSION INFO - ALL TIMES IN GMT
Official Practice: 16:30 (90 minutes)
Qualification: 18:00 (30 minutes)
Warm-up: 18:30 (5 minutes)
Race: 18:35 100 Laps

All drivers must be in the server at least 15 minutes before qualifying, anyone who joins after the start of qualifying will start from the back of their specified class with the exception of people who experience last minute technical issues. The server will be open for unofficial practice before official starting time, and will be restarted at 16:30 GMT exactly. From that moment on, the server will stay up, so a nice rubber pavement can be made.

Signups.
To sign up for this event, you must have a valid license from Racedepartment. If you sign up, we do expect you to show up!. To sign up, please take a look in the Sign Up Thread.

For now, we have limited the signup list to 28 entrants. If needed, we can expand that number with an additional 20 drivers, so all can have a go at this.

Notes.
· Chatting of any kind during Qualifying and the Race is strictly prohibited in the chat. There is no need to say sorry/thanks/pitting/leaving pits/etc. Anything that needs to be said can wait until after the session.
· If you feel you were wronged in any way during an event and wish to report the incident, simply send the event organiser a private message. Please include a description of the incident along with a video. If you are unable to create a video, please include details such as who was involved and where the incident happened with a timestamp. Do not post reports/accusations in the thread itself - negativity and anger gets us nowhere.
· We encourage all our drivers to use Teamspeak 3, download here. Talking directly to your fellow drivers increases the fun and the ability to share information in an easy friendly way. It will improve your driving skills dramatically, Log in here
· Please take into account that rFactor 2 is still in beta stage and that technical problems might occur. If you spot a bug please post a (constructive) report in the dedicated bug forum here.

In am having a fairly big problem with the maserati. It's basically missing body parts and I can see right through to the ground. Yesterday I tried it in SP but I just could not practice and I doubt I will be able to race it like that.

Also, it seems to be driving strangely as well. I don't know if it's an illusion or it really is a lot harder than when I tried the Maserati Mod on its own.

In any case, I can't drive it when it looks like it's blowing into pieces. The hood alone it's removed from the car and floating above the front end of the car.

I can either change cars to the 370z or stay home.
Try the fix with the player detail, and if that doesnt work, take the 370. Staying home is not an option right :p :p

Unfortunately my connection is creating problems for the whole day today, Ive tested driving on the server untill now and I dont think it will be safe enough to drive since cars keep appearing and disappearing around me, big disappointment but i'll be there for the next race hopefully, good luck all drivers!

Yea... Great race! Some of you should first race a few times with AIs before signing to an online event...

Q: Don't remember the exact place but I was the fastest in 370z and that was my goal. I did 1:22.5 which was my personal best. But low 1.22 was possible, I just made a mistake.

R: No comment... I didn't see the lights so I had to use HUD to know when to start. Then, when I started, car ahead was still standing. So I pressed the brake and when he ran, I did the same. But he stopped again suddenly and I crashed into him. Weird behaviour, very, very weird. I had no chance to avoid that... Then due to that someone crashed into me and a few cars were on the grid in the reverse direction. The car was undriveable, I had to have my wheel turned about 90 degrees to go straight. But decided to try to reach the pits and repair the car. But in 3rd sector I got hit in the back. Don't know who was that but he had no chance to pass me there but he tried anyway. So I spun and lost more time and suffered more damages. Finally I went to the pits but the repair was supposed to take a few mins so I decided to leave. I didn't want to wait that much time when my race was over anyway, chances for a good result were gone.

I'm pissed off. I was the fastest 370z and I had a really big chance to win in my class and maybe finish ahead of a few Meganes. But some stupid people decided that I can't even finish the race...

Yea... Great race! Some of you should first race a few times with AIs before signing to an online event...

Q: Don't remember the exact place but I was the fastest in 370z and that was my goal. I did 1:22.5 which was my personal best. But low 1.22 was possible, I just made a mistake.

R: No comment... I didn't see the lights so I had to use HUD to know when to start. Then, when I started, car ahead was still standing. So I pressed the brake and when he ran, I did the same. But he stopped again suddenly and I crashed into him. Weird behaviour, very, very weird. I had no chance to avoid that... Then due to that someone crashed into me and a few cars were on the grid in the reverse direction. The car was undriveable, I had to have my wheel turned about 90 degrees to go straight. But decided to try to reach the pits and repair the car. But in 3rd sector I got hit in the back. Don't know who was that but he had no chance to pass me there but he tried anyway. So I spun and lost more time and suffered more damages. Finally I went to the pits but the repair was supposed to take a few mins so I decided to leave. I didn't want to wait that much time when my race was over anyway, chances for a good result were gone.

I'm pissed off. I was the fastest 370z and I had a really big chance to win in my class and maybe finish ahead of a few Meganes. But some stupid people decided that I can't even finish the race...
i think you should calm down before u caln anyone "stupid" so we are clear on that!

was fun while it lasted ... drove in to pits pulled into box and got repaired filled up changed tires .... went out came back in to serve drive through penalty did not stop at box because it was showing repair icon with the wrench so drove past to serve drive through penalty not sure for what though and boom you are DQ ... oh well there is always next race

Short report

Practice - well i saw Remco witha 19.2 and i knew i could get in to the 19's but could not put a lap together was raging mad,quit ts and watched some favorite videos calmed down and returnt to quali
Quali - well after a few decent atempt i did a 19.9 but a 19.5 was easly posible acording to sector times
Race- well car in front staled,i imediatly went to left, first laps ok, avoided some carninge..then we where 3 meganes after T1 and the first decided to defend inside line the second megane keeped outside line and i got the draft from first megane..was looking to get between them in T2 but first megane brake a bit earlier(for me at least) and i had to avoid going on the gas inside, try to keep car undercontrol and manged came out badly on mid corner(my fault,sorry)and touched i presume the third megane(sorry)and i spun,but no damage.After that was really pushing and was gaining places but i was lapping a megane on the straight with a gtr behind me, i was well alongside the megane but he will not give one inch(
The slower drivers are expected to cooperate with these passes and must not try to block faster cars unnecessarily
) and he some how spun me or gtr touch me and i went well inside the sand at T3, also got a warning for ignoring blue flag, went into the pits repaired damage,next lap went again into the pits but forgot to remove add/fuel and i got a black flag.
To bad as when i had good laps i saw that i was closing on Bjorn so i had good pace for a potential podium, well.that is that...hope i do better next time

Well, I ended up racing the 370 because I already had my settings at max so obviously that wasn't the issue.

However, in the race something really screwy happened.

I had a couple of meganes behind me and I made sure to take fairly wide lines so that they had a chance to pass me. I think they were racing each other more than they were worried about me. Even though I was in the back of my class I was getting more used to the car and the track so I was going fairly fast. A regular megane would pass me rather quickly,, but a Megane engaged in a dog fight with another car would take longer.

So after about half lap of having these meganes behind me and me leaving wide spaces on the inside of the turns I actually decelerated and let them by. I almost had to come to a stop.

Too late. Immediately I found I had as "PIT" sign in the top left corner of my screen and soon enough I got the notice I only had 2 laps to server my penalty.

I am sorry, but in a race like this, blue flag penalties are unjust. No human Marshall would have issued a penalty here. I obvious was trying my best to let them by, but I also have a race to do.

I think that the blue flag penalty should have been turned off for this race. Especially in longer races on a short track, they prevent someone a lap down to try to gain the lap back. It's just too hard to deal with the blue flag warning while one tries to race back to the main lap.

Also, in a race where so many cars have similar performance, such as the 370>Megane>Maserati it's way too risky and drivers like me get nabbed with undeserved penalties.

I could have served the penalty and rejoin, but at the moment I was just too upset. I know I did my best, short of stopping, to let them pass., Obviously, they weren't sitting there thinking "We better hurry or this guy is going to be penalized" they probably didn't even know it.

I think that in future races we should run without a penalty, if possible (if not, we need to tell ISI to make it possible ASAP or to fine tune the sensitivity), or we need to run cars that are further away in performance.

I really looked forward to this race but this penalty left as bad taste in my mouth. maybe I was too quick to exit but I wasn't in the right mood to race anymore and before I race again in multiclass I will make sure this penalties are no longer dished out.

Well after a great fight with the other leading GT-R's I have crashed out and lost a wheel so I has to retire just about the same or next lap after Fredric which was a great person for clean racing, once I think I locked him up and he spun after trying to overtake me so gave him the position, great piece of driving, too bad a little mistake had to end my day. At one stage I've been lapping 2 meganes fighting on the long straight, they were side by side, tried to keep safe on left and have but the next thing I've seen was the middle Megane spinned around between us, and I felt something really lightly on my rear. If I was the cause I'm very sorry for this and didn't even realise that I was involved in spinning you out. I loved the race and how the rF2 felt while driving a long run, I have destroyed my tires very quickly and need to get used to it, but wow, it was an absolute briliant experience!

Qualy was superb took pole by 3 tenth and the start was ok, but on lap 15 or so I had three megans battleing in the last sector and the other 2 GTRs on my bumper and got a hit at the rear in the last corner and car was unstable after that. I stretched the stint so I can still make a 2 stopper work and repaired the car which took 15 seconds extra. After that it was fine and soon had 3rd place back, but i had a really small off and again some damaged and then quit, because I was very hungry and I was pumping full of adrenalin and thought that 75 more laps would be too much for me. Really a shame in my longruns with car fulll of fuel I really was able to go 1.16,6 or so very constantly, but was not really on it in the race. I am really interrested about the strategy of the other GTRs, because I should have still been able to win.

Well after a great fight with the other leading GT-R's I have crashed out and lost a wheel so I has to retire just about the same or next lap after Fredric which was a great person for clean racing, once I think I locked him up and he spun after trying to overtake me so gave him the position, great piece of driving, too bad a little mistake had to end my day. At one stage I've been lapping 2 meganes fighting on the long straight, they were side by side, tried to keep safe on left and have but the next thing I've seen was the middle Megane spinned around between us, and I felt something really lightly on my rear. If I was the cause I'm very sorry for this and didn't even realise that I was involved in spinning you out. I loved the race and how the rF2 felt while driving a long run, I have destroyed my tires very quickly and need to get used to it, but wow, it was an absolute briliant experience!
do not know if it was you or the other megane,it was realy strange...i must watch the replay...as i did not went into the other megane i just keeped my line,either he turn into me either it was a bug,but yes we where trying to make room:)

Fredric, The strategy at first for me involved 2 stop strategy with full fuel used up (didn't relise that the so called 34 laps are really ~100) and then felt my tires were just like driving on struts in front, though I'd try to change pressured but then crashed and don't know the result as I would have to do 20-30 laps again :)

Tomasz, Yes I have to agree with you some some fool also took me out going down the back straight, i mean for goodness sake in a straight line. We have to do something about the standard of racing at RD, some sort of seeding system:mad:

Had fun while it lasted thanks everyone. Had good clean racing but at the first hair pin the Megane infront of me braked a ms before me and tried to avoid and somehow clipped a mm of paint on the left side of his bumper which caused us to spin off. Really sorry about that :(

A bit later had a Maserati on my bumper and first corner tried to make way and was way too late on the brakes, went off the track and hit the wall quite hard. Tried to nurse my car to the pits but halfway figured I'm just going to get in the way and had to leave the race.

Was a great experience, thanks everyone really enjoyed it.

Fredric, The strategy at first for me involved 2 stop strategy with full fuel used up (didn't relise that the so called 34 laps are really ~100) and then felt my tires were just like driving on struts in front, though I'd try to change pressured but then crashed and don't know the result as I would have to do 20-30 laps again :)
Yeah was really great to drive, but I always feared to really push but had a lot of fun and lets see who is the winner and how many cars will finish. Next time I woukd prefer 50 Laps and maybe some clarification regarding lapping cars in the last sector, because everyone was taking very diffrent lines and had really some hairy moments but overall very good behaviour by all cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes