2012 | 100 Laps of Mid Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco Bijl

Axe Travels
100lapsmidohi1.jpg

100 Laps of Mid Ohio - INTRO & INFO

The RaceDepartment staff expects people who sign up to read this entire article!

Event: 100 laps of Mid Ohio
Date: Sunday - 22nd July 2012
Platform: rFactor2
Class: Nissan GTR, Nissan 370Z, Maserati Cup 2012, Renault Megane
Track: Mid Ohio Without chicane
Broadcast: If possible
Driver Swaps: None

INTRODUCTION
Welcome to first official Racedepartment World Endurance Series event.
The Racedepartment World Endurance Series, or RDWES for short, is a series of (semi)endurance races we will hold during the year.
For this first episode, we will visit the Mid Ohio track in the USA. Mid Ohio Sports Car Course is a road course auto racing facility, located in Troy Township, Ohio US, just outside the village of Lexington. Since it’s opening in 1962, it has been optimized a few times, which results in the current layout available for rfactor2. The track is perfectly suited to host multiple classes running at once, with its wide lanes and overtake opportunities all around.
There will be NO driver swaps allowed in this event. Total race length is 100 laps, which will equal about 2.5 hours of racing.

AVAILABLE CARS
The cars available will all be from the GT classes. In addition to the GT Endurance Series by ISI, we have decided to include the Renault Megane Trophy, and the Maserati GT 2012.
RaceDepartment will try to stay up to date with the latest patches and releases of these mod’s. This list will be updated according to the latest decisions of the staff concerning implemented patches and releases.
Available choices will be:

GT1
Nissan GT-R

GT4
Nissan 370Z
Maserati GT

One-Make Racing
Renault Megane

SKINS
For this round, a custom MOD will be created. This mod will contain a few skins for each car, in Racedepartment style. Everyone is free to pick a skin from the available options.

SCHEDULE/SESSION INFO - ALL TIMES IN GMT
Official Practice: 16:30 (90 minutes)
Qualification: 18:00 (30 minutes)
Warm-up: 18:30 (5 minutes)
Race: 18:35 100 Laps

All drivers must be in the server at least 15 minutes before qualifying, anyone who joins after the start of qualifying will start from the back of their specified class with the exception of people who experience last minute technical issues. The server will be open for unofficial practice before official starting time, and will be restarted at 16:30 GMT exactly. From that moment on, the server will stay up, so a nice rubber pavement can be made.

Signups.
To sign up for this event, you must have a valid license from Racedepartment. If you sign up, we do expect you to show up!. To sign up, please take a look in the Sign Up Thread.

For now, we have limited the signup list to 28 entrants. If needed, we can expand that number with an additional 20 drivers, so all can have a go at this.

Notes.
· Chatting of any kind during Qualifying and the Race is strictly prohibited in the chat. There is no need to say sorry/thanks/pitting/leaving pits/etc. Anything that needs to be said can wait until after the session.
· If you feel you were wronged in any way during an event and wish to report the incident, simply send the event organiser a private message. Please include a description of the incident along with a video. If you are unable to create a video, please include details such as who was involved and where the incident happened with a timestamp. Do not post reports/accusations in the thread itself - negativity and anger gets us nowhere.
· We encourage all our drivers to use Teamspeak 3, download here. Talking directly to your fellow drivers increases the fun and the ability to share information in an easy friendly way. It will improve your driving skills dramatically, Log in here
· Please take into account that rFactor 2 is still in beta stage and that technical problems might occur. If you spot a bug please post a (constructive) report in the dedicated bug forum here.

I think the 2 drivers in meganes were Caramidaru and Mark, by the look of the replay it seems it wasn't my fault and Caramidaru just by the look of the replay drove into Mark (at least that is the people's names when I clicked on through them on the replay) It seems that I never got hit as replay shows. ( I don't want to trust just my own replay as I'm not 100% sure of rF2 and its bugs,so the situation might be different from someone else's point of view.)

Okay with the start the Megane ahead of me failed to go when the lights went green, so i stopped or else i would plough into him on the replay i seen the chain effect this caused and would like to say sorry if it messed up your race

1.first incident , at T2 the first megane,that i was drafting brake before 300m mark withc is extreamly early and he was one of the fast meganes
2.as far as i know i was laping Mike, i did touch him a little(did not see him in mirrors,figure he lift off) and he went into the grass with 2wheels and then come back straight into me.all i was trying to do was give the gtr's room and he had room to spare...but racing incident from my point off view

Was a great Race, and clean driving from what i saw, i throughly enjoyed myself, me and Marco done pretty well together at the start, until our pit stop strategy's came into play.

The racing from my POV, was very good, some risk taker's, which did and did not pay off unfortunatly.

I got myself down to 7 and then on the last corner, i went abit wide, i started to turn to come back onto the track but for some reason my car decided to do some flying, having hit the pit wall so hard, my car was in tatters, i tried to take it around the circuit but that was impossible to do without crashing others out, so i had to retire like Lewis did today!

Thanks for organizing this Marco , i hope there's more events like these in the future.

Great race spoiled by some mistakes by passing drivers....... People need to learn a little patience and to use mirrors... I was taken off twice in the race, both times cost me damage that took 4 minutes Plus to repair!!!

I was as high as 7th with a 2 stop strategy that was looking good until I was taken off :(

Still, great event and great fun...Think maybe a 'Endurance masterclass' might be on the cards so we can educate a few on the finer points of passing

Thanks for a good time though guys and gratz to all finishers :D

Q: I was a good lap, I think one of my bests lap at that moment and second position.

R: I tryed to overtake Frederic in the start because he was faster than me but i couldn´t. I had some good battles with Frederic and Kacper, they had better times, but I catched them every time they found traffic. Was best laps I've ever had in rFactor2, thanks, very clean all drivers around me.

Then, we found a couple of Meganes near the last corner, and I hit Frederic trying to evade a Megane. Sorry :S I thought you were in the grass. After that I got the first position despite having the car a little damaged, and I get away and stay a few seconds ahead.

Finally I see as my opponents gradually away, and then end up retiring. A shame because despite the small accident from the beginning, they were having reached me again. I do not know if they had more accidents after that, but I had 3 or 4 spins (deconcentration) and I think it would have continued the fight later.

Nevertheless, it has been fun, the only downside was the lack of participation of GTRs. Very clean slower cars around me, my spins was all my fault :D .

Thanks for this event, and see you soon!

PS: I have been amazed at my time at the end of the race, I think I colud have a battle with Frederic (1:15.7 I think it was my best time) and sorry my english! :rolleyes:

In terms of the incidents. Stop whining. Yes, stuff happend, so make a report, so I can address it. You all know the rules at RD. No incident repot, no actions. Talking in a thread about it, takes away the great atmosphere from the race, and is totally unneeded and unsuccesfull.

About the race, pfff. Was anice long run, had fun. To much happend to make a report here ;) Had a phonecall in the middle of the race, spun, crashed, pitted, well actually did all there is to do :p In the end, I made it to the finish, and thats all that matters to me! Happy, satisfied, and tired. So off to bed now.

1.first incident , at T2 the first megane,that i was drafting brake before 300m mark withc is extreamly early and he was one of the fast meganes.

Sorry for knock mate, I didn't see you before I turned in and then was too late. Running a low FOV can't see anything on that side.

======

Great race, had a lot of fun! qualy 9th overall. Managed a low 1.20.0xx, got me 5th in class.

Race started okay, no incidents around me. But early on in the race pushing too hard to try an pull away from Thomas Martens. Hit the wall and received damage, was stuck in the pits for 200+ seconds!

So had to fight back after being lapped by a fair few drivers. Back in 19th, made up some ground, plus people going out. I got back into 7th, then 6th. 2 laps down on Thomas, I think he might have got some damage later in the race because I unlapped myself into 5th.

That's where I stayed pretty much, always very close with Dan Coldrick. We both would come close, then he would pit, then I gapped him to then pit again myself. Luckily managed to stay just in front enough until the last few laps, where he finally passed but had an incident I think with Claes Axelsson in 4th. That let me take 5th place back until the end of the race :)

Well, had loads of fun last night. :)
I hope Tomasz will post his Nissan 370z setup, as I was about 2 seconds off his pace. I just did a 1:24.5xx?
I started as 28th of 30. All my calculations were correct, as I was going for a 1 stop and that would be enough to get to the finish. Finally I had to do 3 stops as in lap 15(?) a Masearti had span in front of me at the corner before the pit entrance. When I went do drive around him he began driving and damaged my right rear suspension. Firstly I continued driving but noticed I couldn't break hard any more which made the car almost uncontrollable, so I decided for a repair. That costed a lap. Than I continued my lonely race. Midway I took my planned pitstop and continued again.
A few laps before the end it seemed that Bjorn had troubles in the final sector. He was on the right offtrack side and just before I was there he decided to cross the track slowly to the left side crossing the racing line. A crash was unavoidable and I hit him in the rear hard which I damaged the front of my car and spend 1.5 lap in the pit fopr repairs.
Finished the race as 9th.
I surely had fun, had my spins/mistakes here and there, but drove pretty consistent. Could have driven 4 more laps than I did, so not too shabby. :)
I hope I haven't hold anyone up in the race.
Looking forward to a next round. :)
Thanx RD and Marco for the organisation! :thumbsup:

Sorry for knock mate, I didn't see you before I turned in and then was too late. Running a low FOV can't see anything on that side.

======

Great race, had a lot of fun! qualy 9th overall. Managed a low 1.20.0xx, got me 5th in class.

Race started okay, no incidents around me. But early on in the race pushing too hard to try an pull away from Thomas Martens. Hit the wall and received damage, was stuck in the pits for 200+ seconds!

So had to fight back after being lapped by a fair few drivers. Back in 19th, made up some ground, plus people going out. I got back into 7th, then 6th. 2 laps down on Thomas, I think he might have got some damage later in the race because I unlapped myself into 5th.

That's where I stayed pretty much, always very close with Dan Coldrick. We both would come close, then he would pit, then I gapped him to then pit again myself. Luckily managed to stay just in front enough until the last few laps, where he finally passed but had an incident I think with Claes Axelsson in 4th. That let me take 5th place back until the end of the race :)

The race really looked nice for me a long way of the game, i had a gap of 2 laps down to you, and i was 5, but i had a crash, and needed to pit for about 3min, so lost the good pace i had done :/ But again its racing, and it was fun! :O)

Missed the carnage at the start and gained some good places. Soon had a rythme going with a superb, stable and fast setup supplied to me, by courtesy of Mike Bishop, to find myself in 10th spot before my pistop.
Here it went all pearshape as i had a 148 sec pistop for fuel...tyres and repairs. Came back on 2 or so laps down, but only losing 2 positions to 12th. Then got disqualified!!! :cry: Still not sure why??

Must say it was an enjoyable race while it lasted and apart from a thingy here and there, the overall driving was very good.:thumbsup:

Thanks RD...bring on the next one!!!

Well last night was a blast! Had so muh fun in my first proper endurance race other than the old 80 minute mini Friday races. Went for the 370z on the basis that the majority went down the Megane route and I wanted to try a different approach.

Quali was poor for me, well off my PB and only good enough for P2 in class (370z) and about P21 overall. Not far off fastest 370z, my PB would have very comfortably put me P1 in class.

My race started very cleanly... For about 20 metres! There was a huge pileup off the line which I could not avoid. I was in cruise mode, anticipating a crash, and still could not avoid it! By the time I got facing the right way I was waaay down the order and had to pit for damage repair. Lost about 3 laps in the pits and very nearly gave up, but decided to carry on as I felt sure others would have issues over the 100 lap distance. In my stop for damage I changed put strategy and took on a full tank of fuel. This would take me to about lap 44, by which time I had recovered my race and was battling for the 370z class lead. I could probably count of 1 hand the amount of times I actually made a pass or was passed for position, but while being lapped I feel I gave the faster guys plenty of room.

Made my stop on lap 44, which would be enough to get to the end of the race due to the amount of times I would be lapped. My only issue after the start was about 3/4 way through the race I was suffering with bad lag, however it improved with time.

Not only did I complete an endurance race, but I got into the spirit of London 2012 Olympics by doing the 100 M sprint to the toilet during my 45 second scheduled pit stop.... Turns out 45 seconds isn't enough!

Joking aside I had a really great evening, I enjoyed it so much despite a very disappoint start to the race. Glad I stuck with it, and achieved my goal of 1st place 370z and finished 8th overal. Not bad for the slowest car!

Big congrats to all class winners, podium and to all who made the finish! It's a shame so many dropped out but that's endurance racing for you. Some need to remember that over 100 laps anything can happen, I started 3 laps down and still won my class! Don't give up untill the in lap!!!

Big thanks to RD staff for runnin the event, and additional thanks to Marco, et al for being so supportive, informative and patient with some of us who arn't as bright when it comes to new mods, most of us had issues, and most received speedy, useful assistance to get us up and running. Great show guys, I can't wait for the next one!!!

Well, what can I add to that post Jimi. It has it all! Thanks for the kind words.

One thing I would like to highlight, and surely hope that some who entered read a few times in a row......
.......Lost about 3 laps in the pits and very nearly gave up, but decided to carry on as I felt sure others would have issues over the 100 lap distance. In my stop for damage I changed put strategy and took on a full tank of fuel.

Joking aside I had a really great evening, I enjoyed it so much despite a very disappoint start to the race. Glad I stuck with it, and achieved my goal of 1st place 370z and finished 8th overal. Not bad for the slowest car!

Big congrats to all class winners, podium and to all who made the finish! It's a shame so many dropped out but that's endurance racing for you. Some need to remember that over 100 laps anything can happen, I started 3 laps down and still won my class! Don't give up untill the in lap!!!
You're not sprint racing here. Just wondering if any who quited in the first 10 laps, just because they had to pit for over 100 seconds, have ANY idea how ungratefull that is to someone like me, who has put many, many hours in organizing this event. Dropping out, because you have the feeling that a good result is no longer possible (read winning is impossible).

Endurance racing is not sprint racing. Many, many things can happen. I would surely like to ask all those who are not up to keeping in the race after a minor setback, NOT to register again for an endurance event, or change the attitude.
I mean, you do not see a 400m sprinter enter the 10Km run at the olympics now do you?

Very nice piece of reading there Jimi, thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Quick question guys, I have seen 2 members talk about changing the fuel etc. in the pit, I've tried looking for the buttons to do that but can't figure it out. Also could not see button assignments for pits or maybe I'm not looking for the correct descriptions.

Please help a newbie out ;)

Stefan, I can post my setup later today or tomorrow but it's almost the default one, I did only a few minor changes, nothing special. I'm not good in making setups :)

Marco, I retired after the stop on the first lap not only because I lost a lot of time and a chance for a good result. Of course, that was one of the reasons, but not the only one. rF2 has a lot of bugs, and one of them is repairing damages. When you don't have any damages on the HUD [there are no parts yellow or red] you can't repair it. And very often after the crash I feel much difference in the feeling of the car but HUD is clean and I can't do anything about it. It was the same here. And I didn't want to drive the race lapping over two minutes per lap and having wheel turned for about 90 degrees on the straight. And if I did it I would probably caused a lot of crashes which is not the point of racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back