2009 Swedish Touring Car Championship

I am soooooo jealous! :)

Okidoki, then I'll post some photos of the SAAB from Mantorp.
IMG_9877.jpg

IMG_9946.jpg

IMG_9947.jpg

At Mantorp SAAB had the winnig car from 2008 Le Mans classic on show. They should have gone on track but unfortunately they were not able to get it started. This car got famous at this years classic Le Mans not only for winning but also for its sound.

IMG_9944.jpg

A short video from the Le Mans race. It's got a 2-stroke engine and specially tuned exhaust pipes!!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_lXG2q4xGw[/media]

• Wido Rossen

New Mercedes in STCC in 2009 ?

Rumors are spreading that the Swedish Touring Car Championship will see a new Mercedes-team next season. Tobias Johansson ran a Mercedes in the championship this year, but will head on to a new project and manufacturer for 2009. The rumor is that Swedish race car builder Roland Gingtorp will be on the grid with a Mercedes C-Class, 2009-model specification.

A recent article in the Swedish newspaper Dagbladed further spiced up the rumors when a the Nordic Supercar-driver Per-Erik Axehult claimed that he will get help from Gingtorp's STCC-team.

"We are going to join the team in their pre-season testing for STCC and be able to get technical support," said Axehult to Dagbladet.se.

Gingtorp was involved in the building of the Mercedes-cars for Tobias Johansson, but according to our information the both have parted ways now.

STCC

Dates for the STCC 2009 season is now set.

1 - 1-2 maj
2 - 22-23 maj
3 - 5-6 juni
4 - 26-27 juni
5 - 10-11 juli
6 - 14-15 augusti
7 - 28-29 augusti
8 - 11-12 september
9 - 25-26 september

According to local press Mantorp Park will host both the opening race as well as the final race.

2009 will feature two races on saturday and no mandatory pit stop.

I dont like the format change at all. I really loved those pitstop strategies and the qualy and race on sundays. It made the STCC very special with a different approach compared to the WTCC and other toca series. Does anybody know is Valer is still on the calendar for next season. Would love to see that race in real life once..

This is how Touring Car Times have predicted the calendar may go:

STCC 2009 - TcT Predicted Calendar

2/5 Mantorp
23/5 Gelleråsen
6/6 Gothenburg
27/6 Sturup
11/7 Falkenberg
15/8 Gelleråsen
29/8 Våler/Anderstorp
12/9 Knutstorp
26/9 Mantorp

"TouringCarTimes have put together a prediction of the tracks to the officially confirmed dates. The season will most likely start and end at Mantorp Park. The City Race in Gothenburg is confirmed to return, this year on the 6th of June.

It remains to be seen if Våler and/or Anderstorp fits in to the calendar. But according to our information Anderstorp looks set for a race in 2009."

• Wido Rossen

No works entry from Saab in 2009

Saab Automobile Sweden has confirmed that they will not back the Dealer Team's STCC-program for 2009 with the Saab 93-model. The S2000 Saab was showed officially at the STCC-final at Mantorp earlier this year and the team announced that they are trying to get support from Saab officially.
"It will not be a factory team," said Saab press manager Eric Geers to Eurosport.se.

Jens Edman has completed a couple of test days with the 93 since its first apperance. But despite the turn down from Saab, Dealer Team is still optimistic for the coming season.

"Our ambition is to be on track 2009. We have not finished the car yet, but it is still our goal," said team manager Jan Warnestad.

The S2000 Saab was build with help from Saab in Trollhättan, Sweden. But any further assistance than that is not planned.

"There will be some support and we think it is a really interesting project. But it will not be more than that," said Geers.

The STCC-project for Dealer Team still lacks a big partner for the financial side.
"The no from Saab does of course affect us. We will try to find another partner," said Warnestad.

(Warnestad runs a large Saab and Opel-dealership in Sweden)

( Source touringcartimes )

• Wido Rossen

Shakedown of Super Touring Volvo

The Swedish Touring Car Championship team Flash Engineering has revived their 1999 Super Touring Volvo S40. The team completed a short shakedown at Gelleråsen in freezing conditions with Jan "Flash" Nilsson behind the wheel.
"These cars are completely awesome! I am so glad that I got the opportunity to compete with them during my racing career," said "Flash".

Flash Engineering ran the Volvo S40 between the years 1998 and 2002 which resulted in 10 wins and 29 podiums finishes.
"The Super Touring-rules produced great cars and great fights on the track. Almost nothing beats the Super Touring Volvo S40 with a perfect setup around the old Falkenberg-track," said "Flash".

But it seems that "Flash" and the Volvo S40 could be back on track next year, hunting for more wins. The team has announced their ambition to take part in the Silverstone Classic 2009 in the Super Touring-class.
"Our ambition is to take part in that race! It will be a perfect event in the middle of july to compete in the home country of Super Touring against all of the other legendary Super Touring-cars," said "Flash".

The race will be held on july 24-26th next year. New for 2009 is the Super Touring-class among all of the other classes. Around 40 cars have been preliminary entered for the race, see www.supertouringregister.com for more information.

other08112602.jpg

After the shakedown double Swedish Touring Car Championship champion "Flash" was longing back to the old Super Touring-days.
"The cars were excellent. It was too bad they killed the rules when they got too expensive instead of trying to keep them alive by modifying some simple points which would have helped a lot. The looks was right, the sound was right, the speed was right," said "Flash".

The Volvo S40 "Flash" is driving was used in STCC from 2000 to 2002. Before that it was run in the 1999 British Touring Car Championship by Rickard Rydell and Vincent Rademecker.

Flash Engineering made a short movie during the shakedown of the Volvo S40. The car had been more or less unused for five years, but fired up instantly as can be seen in the following movie, which features nine !!! onboard cameras in the car.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPgd9i7T9UU[/URL][/media]

( source touringcar times )

• Andreas Ronnback

Do you recognize the coulor? =)
This SAAB 9-3 was buildt to compete in the STCC with Supertouring spec. But it never entered the STCC.

Attachments

• 4074-new_2005-12-26-saab_93_st.jpg
    4074-new_2005-12-26-saab_93_st.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 540
  • Andreas Ronnback

Here is anotherone...
This is me and our SAAB 9-3 GT at Bilsport auto show
I was trying to talk to my Team manager to build this one for the S2000 spec so we could race in the STCC but he prefered to race in the GT class. Its a shame to destroy such a wounderful car if you ask me... =)

Attachments

• andreas.jpg
    andreas.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 352
  • Andreas Ronnback

No no no no......
They will not suport any team what so ever.....
I´ve been trying to make them understand the value of motorpsport for many years now, but they dont want to hear anything about it.
And now the Cheif of motorsport is retiered so anyone will get the cold hand.
The only thing that they can do is to give some small assistance and some technical advices.
If you are lucky they maybe can give you a small ammount of parts from the SAAB junkyard.
I know, i´ve been there.
I was working at the plant for 8 years before i moved to L-A.

I think its just to sad that they dont know their own best.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back