Cars 1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder

Welcome!

I'm attempting to recreate this epic legend of a car. Colombo V12, classic layout, no roof - what's not to like. New to 3D car modeling, never done one in my life. Usually I build aircraft. We'll see how it goes.

The goal:

Status quo:

This particular model is a 1972 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder by Scaglietti s/n 15297.

Plan to do the Berlinetta and Barchetta versions as well as the competition models.

Designed by Leonardo Fioravanti at Pininfarina. I plan to do the design justice by getting it just right, no guarantees :D.

:confused: :thumbsup:

Side note: Is it just me, or did we recently lose the "love" and "agree" buttons on forum posts? A 'like' for this thread just, simply, doesn't cut it.

I didn't, I outlined the shoulder line and built the 'ponton' bodyshell BUT it isn't finished so for now only characteristic lights and wheels.

That Borrani cross wire wheel always scared me and it took me forever to figure out how it's built so I wanted to get it roughly done before moving on :).

Modeling this particular car is pretty interesting. First of all blueprints are generally worthless (know this from the aircraft, probably same here as they're mostly ambiguous) but even more so for a car that's from the 60s. In addition these cars were hand built including hammering out the shape into the sheet metal at Scaglietti so they're kinda all a (tiny) bit different. Either way shaping out this hood was fuuun! :D

Deffo can tell that it's from the 60s/70s looking at that badass frontend.

At this stage I'm just playing around with the panels and see what's what. I tried to extrude the bodyshell out of one piece but after several failed attempts I'm extruding the bodyshell from the front going back cut across the centerline which the 365 conveniently has in its design.

so... we don't need the ferrari dlc then ? :D
Between the 304, the 512tr and now this, we're being spoiled!
The model looks clean so far, i liked the first gold preview :p

so... we don't need the ferrari dlc then ? :D
Between the 304, the 512tr and now this, we're being spoiled!
The model looks clean so far, i liked the first gold preview :p

Kunos doesn't care about road cars as much as the race spec ones, so someone must take care of these jewels :) I'm still surprised they payed for the Miata (old model) license, what was the point of that... anyway, back to topic, let's see some more progress on this one!

Some progress, corrected the shoulder, much further outward now. With a combo of various blueprints and pics I'm satisfied with the rough outline. The wheel wells serve as anchor points for the front center and rear sidebody. Scaglietti did an awesome job when they adapted the body to the Spyder configuration. It's a lot more than just cut off the roof and flatten the trunk lid. I do this on the side so progress will probably be slow :). Next goal the complete bodyshell smoothed out and rendered.

The front fender makes a pretty weird transition in terms of curvature from front to end. Got it captured now, will need smoothing out.

Bodyshell almost complete, front and rear bumber still not final. The angle and width of the wheel wells in relation to where they attach to the bumpers as well as the center crease in the rear still need work. I'd say 80%. After that finalization of windshield and then the undercarriage. To make it realistic I'll roughly model the engine and drivetrain (transmission, pedals, stick, heater) and put the undercarriage around that to extrude the interior so the controls and dashboard sit where they should.

Shape is not final but the profile view gives me a 365 Spyder feel already :). I had to go back to blueprints since I had a rearend that was about 25cm short as I underestimated the perspective correction in some of the photos. After that it looked much more 'right'.

Since you guys like the gold...

:D

Wow, the rear end of this car is something else :D. Good thing is I'm almost there with the creases and line flow. Smoothing out will follow next. I had the entire rear section and lights messed up cuz I was using a picture of the Coupe - yeah true story.

For a part that will be almost invisible this is interesting :).

As a recreational exercise I built something easy and at the same time the coolest lookign part of the entire car, the center wheel lock cover:

Where do you think I got the idea?? :D

Being a yuuuge Michael Mann fan and loving classic Ferraris I had to do this one. By the way the one in the pilot is a genuine 365 Daytona Spyder that was provided by an affluent Miami doctor at the time. Matter of fact it is exactly the car pictured on top with the same serial number. Got sold, crashed, restored, repainted and eventually ended up like that. So no worries I get the vibe :).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back