Cars 1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spyder

Does a vibration DOF exist? Sth that would be oriented to rpm and suspension shocks and shake the exhaust along the rubber hinges? That'd be nice.

No idea what DOF means (depth of field...?), but the way to make the exhaust wobble is by using the damage system, and just setting the speed to like -1 so its 'damaged' all the time. It does react to RPM.

Ferrari really got creative with the headers. They solved the classic problem of creating equal pipe lengths from the head to the first center section by running a 3-to-2 system and running the first and last cylinder of one bank straight down and then having a separate connector with a kink to create the extra length needed.

Pretty nice check it out here:

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/userImages/067/Large/067_036.gif

That's also the reason the outer pipes out of the center are a bit smaller in diameter than the inner ones:

Last edited:
No idea what DOF means (depth of field...?), but the way to make the exhaust wobble is by using the damage system, and just setting the speed to like -1 so its 'damaged' all the time. It does react to RPM.

I can confirm that this is true. You can set the vibration per axis and the pivot point is the origin of the movements, so make sure you set it right. I used this on some of my converted cars and it looks very nice in my opinion.

God, I am so lucky that you guys enjoy the same types of cars as I do. :D There is a bunch of awesome mods coming from all of you and I am so, so, so grateful! :)

Ugh...I hate admitting this. I had never heard of that short film "Rendezvous" until about 5-6 years ago. Sadly, I thought it was a legit film of some maniac in Paris. I could tell many sounds were over-dubbed, of course, but I didn't pickup on the fact that shots were sped up to look faster than they really were...yup, I was duped. I felt like such a sucker. :( It's okay because this Nigerian prince emailed me recently and I'd rather not tell all of you the details, but I'll be getting $25,000,000 for helping him with a little matter and then I'm going to create my own short film! :p

Haven't had much chance to get on Race Department for a while and just found out about this... Superb choice of car to make, I have no doubt this is going to be fantastic when you're done mate :)
Looking forward to some Californian Fun in this... with the roof down, through a tunnel :) even though the version with the roof has some equally nice lines IMO.
Good luck with it mate, you'll get all the help from the talented car creators on here no doubt... and it will be another awe inspiring car to drive in Assetto. Awesome!!!

Ugh...I hate admitting this. I had never heard of that short film "Rendezvous" until about 5-6 years ago. Sadly, I thought it was a legit film of some maniac in Paris. I could tell many sounds were over-dubbed, of course, but I didn't pickup on the fact that shots were sped up to look faster than they really were...yup, I was duped. I felt like such a sucker. :(
Well if you can believe the author, it was done that way because Ferrari 275 suspension wasn't smooth enough to get clear shots so he drove the route once to get film in the Mercedes and then a second time to get audio in the 275. So any speeding up was just to make the 2 tracks line up.

Well if you can believe the author, it was done that way because Ferrari 275 suspension wasn't smooth enough to get clear shots so he drove the route once to get film in the Mercedes and then a second time to get audio in the 275. So any speeding up was just to make the 2 tracks line up.

If you look at the video closely (turn off the sound) you'll see it isn't running faster as recorded at all. There's a making off out there where the director and driver actually mentions that driving this route in that time (duration of the video) is extremely fast given the traffic and open road conditions he's in in early morning hours.

Another fun fact is that the moment he goes through the array of arcs with no visibility at all he had a guy with a walkie talkie posted there so he could give him a heads up should any traffic arise. He didn't get the call so he basically went through it full throttle blind at around 70km/h. Turns out later the walkie talkie didn't work :).

Also I don't think he drove the same route again in the Ferrari, at least he didn't mention it in the making of I saw. Anyway the SEL was the only car at the time with hydraulic suspension so the self leveling kept the cam he mounted on the front bumper steady. What a stunt! Guy's a legend. John Frankenheimer (Ronin) and Michael Mann (Heat, Miami Vice, etc.) seem to have watched this movie a number of times looking at the way they shoot driving/chase scenes.

Some updates on the Daytona:

Started on the rear differential and drive shafts, exhaust position seems to work if I lift the diff slightly and increase the angle on the center exhaust pipes which corresponds to RL images.

Stripped the bodyshell and separated trunklid, doors and hood as well as headlights

Started on the rocker panels and integration with interior floor and extended the interior to the pedal area in front and roof compartment in the back

Started to extrude the trunk

seems the 365, 400 and 412 all shared the same Diff

body will subdivide nicely

The interior will be fuuuuuuun :)

Now that you mentioned it...forgot the pics of the interior :D

The tricky thing about cars for me, and I can only talk about this particular one, is the spectacular shaping of the body panels. Aircraft are just much larger and lines flow more due to the aerodynamic nature of the design. That being said I do appreciate that you don't have as many packaging issues. With military hardware they always squeeze every last bit out of the available room and engine intakes collide with landing gear compartments collide with swing wing assemblies collide with engine pods and hydraulic lines so this is much easier in terms of workflow. With this car I guess function kinda follows form instead of the other way around.

We'll see how it progresses...

Whoa...whoa...whoa! Let's get this figured out. The steering wheel of your 3D model. Left side or Wrong...err Right side? :D :roflmao: j/k I will love it no matter if you put the steering wheel in the trunk. :)

Whoa...whoa...whoa! Let's get this figured out. The steering wheel of your 3D model. Left side or Wrong...err Right side? :D :roflmao: j/k I will love it no matter if you put the steering wheel in the trunk. :)

It would be a model of one rare ass car :)

Still confused on the GTS/4 and GTB/4. Classic Ferrari nomenclature would have me believe the Spyder is the GTS/4 as they also did that on later models like the 355 GTB(erlinetta) and GTS(pyder) but I've also found some genuine 365 Daytona Spyders with the plate that said GTB/4 and they were no conversions of any sort.

If anyone has any input...please share!

Yeah...I've always been confused. I assumed S was the Convertible and B was the hardtop.

From Wikipedia:

The generally accepted total number of Daytonas from the Ferrari club historians is 1,406 over the life of the model. This figure includes 156[8] UK right-hand-drive coupés, 122 factory-made spyders (of which 7 are right hand drive), and 15 competition cars in three series with modified lightweight bodies and in various degrees of engine tune. All bodies except the first Pininfarina prototype were produced by Italian coachbuilder Scaglietti, which at the time already had a reputable record of working with Ferrari.[9]

Historically, and especially since the mid-1980s and early 1990s, there has mostly been a considerable market price difference between a real berlinetta and a real spyder. Many berlinettas were turned into spyders by aftermarket mechanics, often to increase the car's monetary value or simply because of the owner's preference for an open car. Differences in value have typically remained, however, even after the most skillful conversions. No Berlinettas were converted into Spyders by Scaglietti, Ferrari would not allow this, then or now.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%