Why do I get poor frame rates when my GPU isn't working hard? (VR)

I hope it's not to late for you to get your money back for fpsVR.

I was expecting to see three digit results for your Cinebench tests, running 3 or 4 threads. If the results are for all 8 threads, then I'm guessing it should be around the 1500 mark. Have you done a 6 thread test?

Have you recently updated your graphics or Oculus drivers?

Yes, I got a refund of fpsvr.

The version of cinebench I was recommended doesn't let you select number of threads. I tried R20 and I'm not too far off what it says it ought to be.

All drivers are up to date. I didn't notice anything happening with changes other than one Oculus change which messed up sound (later fixed).

The version of cinebench I was recommended doesn't let you select number of threads.
All Cinebench versions allow for it. Here are the screenshots from R15/20/23 :p

1616595001552.png

1616595035139.png

1616595063096.png

Sadly I don't really have an idea for your issues though..
Can you run a 3 thread cinebench run (whatever version) and tell us the score?

I ran the game (AMS2) at over 200FPS in 1080p and it still stuttered. The only way to fix it was to v-sync it at 60FPS
This is an important thing I think.. So your fps are really high but it's stuttering?
What monitor do you have?

What MIGHT help:
Go into the nvidia settings -> 3d game profiles -> power/energy -> prefer maximum performance instead of "normal".
Maybe your GPU isn't clocking high enough?

It's very unlikely with AMS2 but I had this in AMS1 where my GTX 1070 decided to run in 2D mode. I had high FPS but it was stuttering like crazy...

Ran Cinebench repeatedly - CPU always went straight to 100%:

These are pretty low though from what I can find for the 9700f.. It should score about 1400-1500 points in the R15 multi!

Last edited:
Not a lot of people are aware of this but a tool called process hacker (2) has the ability to show the thread CPU utilisation of programs. You can click the properties of an existing process and go into its properties and there is a tab for threads. This shows every thread the program has started and its CPU utilisation. It is a good way to determine if a piece of software is single thread limited in some way and you can see on which thread (all be it only thread ID not a name or anything useful) it is limited.

This may be a bit more advanced for the problem at hand but it is a useful free program for understanding a bit better how programs are using CPU.

Not a lot of people are aware of this but a tool called process hacker (2) has the ability to show the thread CPU utilisation of programs. You can click the properties of an existing process and go into its properties and there is a tab for threads. This shows every thread the program has started and its CPU utilisation. It is a good way to determine if a piece of software is single thread limited in some way and you can see on which thread (all be it only thread ID not a name or anything useful) it is limited.

This may be a bit more advanced for the problem at hand but it is a useful free program for understanding a bit better how programs are using CPU.
Sounds great.
The little free tool "process explorer" does the same and is how I found out about all this :)

A lot of good information here.

This is why I only run AC in VR. Occasionally do a few laps in rF2 but after hours of tweaks I’ve been unable to get the madness engine to play ball.
One of my favorites is Raceroom but it destroys my i5-8400, while the 2060 super seems to do just fine.

I think about decisions Kunos are making now for AC2 and worry they may end up going with UE5. I think a lot of us are running vr these days and hope developers see that.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • Prizes

Votes: 20 19.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 5.9%