Wheel settings DFGT + Rwd car setups

Hi

Over the weekend I have being driving with my new Logitech DFGT wheel and trying out settings to get it right for me, now want ask if I'm doing it right ?

FFB settings - Having checked many posts and with a good reply's from you guys I have being trying them out,
I seem to like low FFB response with good rumble on curbs ect. Have found that if using high settings on the wheel you are am fighting to turn into a corner so what force should I be feeling easy or strong ?

Peddles - Settings between mostly 30/50%

Rwd car setups - Need some advice on setups I want to get on to pro difficulty for a better feel of racing. Have tried out with Fwd cars which I can handle but still a bit slow but the Rwd monsters are killing me, I know you go easy on the gas but I'm spinning the back end in the pits ! . Tried few diff tweaks but no joy what do I need setup to get out onto the track and staying on the track.

Also have Race07+GTR EVO, if this helps

First things first - go straight onto Pro difficulty, turn off all driving aids (Braking and Steering assist).

Forces - The cars are completely different, so it's difficult to generalise. In the TC65 Class alone the Abarth won't feel the same as the Jag Mk2. The Jag is heavy and you will need to muscle it around. The Abarth is very light and easy to oversteer the nose into spins. Get something in the middle of the extremes (the Austin Healey is kind of middle weight, middle power, middle size), work out a good compromise of feel - you don't need to be driving the wheels off it to work out how it feels - and go from there, accepting that some will feel heavier, and some will feel lighter.

Pedals - Keep everything set to 50% - ie linear. Full is full, none is none, half is half, don't complicate it any more than you have to.

RWD - Again, there are RWD and there are RWD. At one end you have the Lotus Elite, light, pointy, and yet slowish, benign and GTL noob friendly. At the other, (I suppose) you have the big Cobra which is just plain evil and will not help you at all in the learning phase of GTL.

There is no shortcut beyond putting the time in behind the wheel, unfortunately. If you are spinning in the pits, you are standing on the accelerator too hard and too soon. GTL tyres start at 20C, ie cold. There are no tyre warming blankets simulated. Take an easy, three-quarter paced outlap to get some heat in there before you start to stand on it. To start with, try the Lotus Elite with no tweaks, ease into it, stay on the same circuit for a while and build up speed slowly. The Elite is a good starter, it's a common front engine, rear drive layout, doesn't have any real nasties in it's locker, and is a safe template for most of the other cars.

As for the "FWD cars" you mention...GTL only has one by default - the Mini. Everything else is RWD, so I'm guessing you must have driven some OK if you are talking in plurals about cars you've tried.

Race and Evo are not helping you here: GTL cars are old, relatively simple cars, modern built but close to old levels of grip tyres, no aero to tweak, nothing holding the car down but it's weight, all grip is purely mechanical. You need to adapt to that, otherwise you've got no chance. You will get there, but you do need patience - it's harder going from Race -> GTL, than going from GTL -> Race.

Stuart has covered it very well, but I might re-inforce a couple of things from my experience.
For FFB, I guess you have read this post:
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/ffb-and-steering-wheel-settings-for-gtl.45299/

It covers everything very well. My FFB settings are actually designed to suit my preference for lighter forces. It actually almost removes all the "canned" effects including most of the rumble feel over curbs, so that you can feel the forces on the tyres without having a heavy wheel.

I use 50% for all of my Pedal settings in game.

For the RWD cars, Stuart has described it well. Basically you need to be far smoother and controlled on the throttle and brake applications, and to get used to controlled downshifting. Whilst you can get away with rapid power application, heavy braking, and rapid downshifting in Race 07 cars, it can be a killer in GTL. And the variation between cars is huge, compared to that of Race 07 where most cars are similar.

I'd also add the Cortina and Alfa GTA as the best cars to learn to drive first.

Thanks for reply guys

Will have to keep working on it, I did find the Lotus Elite nice to drive did not relies that the Mini is the only fwd car in the game and will get in more practice. I know GTL is a different animal to Race+Evo was just asking in general as I'm new to the wheel,
with peoples settings seem to very according to taste and driving style.

back to the track for me practice make perfect !

I got a question for here if you don,t mind . In the logitech profiler, Global Device Settiings, Game Settings, should Allow Game to Adjust Settings be enabled or disabled because I have found two different opinions while searching .

I'd add to Stuart & Warren's comments that you need to slow down a lot before you change down gears or you need to "heel & toe" when you down shift, otherwise you'll lock the rear wheels and spin. I did this a lot before the guys told me what I was doing.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 26 22.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 24 20.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 6 5.1%