VR

I bought an Occulus Rift about 3 or 4 years ago and didnt like it. I think it was just about the only option at the time.

Have things improved?

Is VR much better than a wide screen?

Whats the best one to get at the moment?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

@gmkump I am VERY curious about how your traction plus works with VR. Do you use the software compensation from NLR, the open source tracking sensor solution, or no compensation?

I'm also curious how the queues for under-steer feel.

The Motion Head tracking software (from MotionSystems) that comes with the NLR software is spot on and that is what I use. The Traction Plus is slinging the cockpit around with the under/over steer and you do not notice it at all in the sim itself. You just feel the under/over steer situation. I was very concerned, but was very happy that they did such a good job with the VR head tracking compensation software that comes with the platform software, it is so good. The only head motion you notice is intentional head movement and the bumps. You notice no side slipping motion that the Traction Plus induces, you remain centered in your car. This being my number one concern when I bought the traction plus, and worried about the NLR support statement that it is still undergoing work, I was amazed how well it worked, beyond my expectations.

There seems to be one odd thing. Never does it have a problem during racing. But at end, if I take the VR headset off, the VR center will shift to the right. Now, I'm not sure if head tracking is at fault, or Rift is at fault, or Steam VR is at fault. Not really sure. But since I can re-center VR at a click of a button, it is not that much an issue. Once practice/qualify/race starts, it stays rock steady on center. Only if I remove the VR headset does it do it's recenter to right thing. Strange.

Other than that, it is perfect. I am certainly happy they got this part right, because I would have been one unhappy camper if it didn't work.

Okay, now for under and over steer, one word, wonderful. The v3 motion platform is great for immersion, but I would not say it improves my driving. You might think it does, but I'm not so sure. But I certainly can not live without it. Traction Plus platform is something else entirely. It really does help driving skills, making recovery a breeze. It is a strange thing. When you lose control or go wild, it really is a wonderful feeling as the platform whips around. But if you are driving well, and you are taking queues from the Traction Plus platform, you will compensate for under and over steer, keeping the platform more steady. You can feel when the under-steer happens and compensate to cancel it. This has led me to be more aggressive and in control. I have made stupid decisions that got me into trouble, but the Traction Plus helps me get out of trouble a lot faster and back under control. Hard to qualify, because you get so used to it you forget it is there. But when you hear the wheels slipping, you feel it too, and my reactions are much better compensating for it than ever before. Still, it is a blast when you do get in real trouble! And kudos to v3 motion, because when you hit that wall, you hit that wall!

Not much more I can say abou0t it, but the lateral movement is the bomb. It is not just immersion, which it certainly is, but for control, it cannot be lived without. I have close to 200 hours on it now and its still going strong. But if it ever gave up the ghost, I'm getting another. There is no going back.

Upvote 0
@gmkump I have an NLRv3 already and currently don't use any compensation with my Valve Index. I agree that I doubt the v3 helps me drive better, but it improves immersion in VR quite a bit and seems to prevent nausea when I have guests using my rig. I very recently dialed in my tactile to let me know better as my front end or tail is starting to slip and it helps, but the Traction Loss Plus combined with my v3 does seem like it might be a killer combination and your glowing review of the VR compensation and pushed me one step closer to pulling the trigger. Granted they are out of stock right now.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Out of stock! Yea, when I ordered back in October 2019 for my birthday, there was no Amazon for it, I had to go direct to Australia, and even then, was put on a 3 month waiting list!!! Europe was completely sold out. At least when I got it in March of 2020, I noticed Amazon had created a page for it, but had "not yet available", but that is still an improvement. NLR is obviously planning to stock in the USofA You can still get it, but I'm sure there is still a back order on it. Seems like they can't make them fast enough to satisfy the European market. I still owe sales tax to Fed and State for 2020, oh I'm not looking forward to that!

Upvote 0
I was thinking I'd love to try VR but not sure how it would make me feel in the head. I imagine there is enough interest out there that if I took the plunge on a set for $400 or so I could give it a go and still sell it if not for me get a good bit back to go towards a wide screen. The lack of all games taking advantage of of VR is a drawback as well and now that I am reading it adds more overhead to your system than a normal monitor if I am reading that right. A bit cross eyed right now. I looked into renting these VR to try and thought WTH for what a few days messing with them would cost I might as well buy.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea