PC1 Video settings for AMD GPU user

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
I would be grateful if someone who has spent some time optimizing his settings with performance in mind (fps) on an AMD card, as it seems NVidia is in a better situation at this point in time, would share its findings. Share in PM please if you don't feel like justifying anything in a public thread, I will not comment.
I have a R9 270 X, Would like to have a nice compromise favoring FPS without loosing all PCars graphic appeal. I have to admit that having to restart the game everytime you change something in the graphics is a major PITA.:rolleyes:
To the WMD/Pcars fans, I don't care if it is AMD fault if it does not work so well, my GPU works well with the other SIM(s) I play, this situation is mostly damaging to PCars, as it is not good enough that I have any inclination to change my GPU brand.

PhysX is still running on the cpu. If you enable the physX on screen display in 3D settings > Show PhysX visual indicator you will see that it's running on the cpu even after making the gpu the main PhysX processor.

My opinion on the game is that it's way too heavy on the cpu when comparing it to Assetto Corsa.

Noticed that as well.
Should be able to offload PhysX to one of my SLI GPUs....

I'll go boot Windows 10 up and try going back to the MS drivers, but I really don't understand why they'd be better than the beta ones. Desperation is helping me accept the idea though :roflmao:
The 15.4 drivers are NOT made for Windows 10, AMD pushes drivers via the regular Windows 10 updates.

Some other things that might help with bad performance:

Multi threaded -dx11mt
This could increase your performance.

Cap Framerates -fpscap xx (ex. -fpscap 60)

Launch 32bit -x86
Good for if you are experiencing crashes on 64 bit.

DirectX 9 -dx9
This shouldn't really help anything, but you can always give it a try.

Disable crowds -skipcrowds
This one is know to increase performance quite a bit, however I like the crowds :).

Number of physics threads:
-pthreads 1 / -pthreads 2 / -pthreads 3 / -pthreads 4
• Default physics threads = 2
For me putting the it on -pthreads 4 helped a little.

Couldn't get rid of the beta drivers cleanly, so re-installed Windows 10. The system then refused to recognise my AMD card and installed the Windows Default Video driver :D

I had to go to AMD's site and use the 'Auto Detect' to get some AMD drivers, so probably still don't have the right ones *sighs*

Couldn't get rid of the beta drivers cleanly, so re-installed Windows 10. The system then refused to recognise my AMD card and installed the Windows Default Video driver :D

I had to go to AMD's site and use the 'Auto Detect' to get some AMD drivers, so probably still don't have the right ones *sighs*
Google this:

I looked for this one but could not find it, can you point me in the right direction?
Sorry, I should have clarified this in my initial post.

Right click your game in Steam, Properties -> General -> Launch Options

You get a box, just add those parameters exactly how I wrote them, including the -. You can add as many as you want, as long you add spaces between them.

Hope this helps :).

what finally did it for me as a amd cpu user and a G1 gtx 970 user was to install steam on my boot SSD drive,I was curious as to how it would run on my SSD at 250 gig fully optimized, there is plenty of room for a few games and I have to say the game now runs butter smooth, 60 fpscap. Even with the 970 I was getting slight stutters going around the first bend at brands hatch, but now its silky smooth. as I said in my first post I ran a r9 270x so am curious as to how it would run on a ssd. My steam hard drive was a 1TB BLACK EDITION with all my steam racing sims on, but now I will buy a larger SSD and install steam on it

what finally did it for me as a amd cpu user and a G1 gtx 970 user was to install steam on my boot SSD drive,I was curious as to how it would run on my SSD at 250 gig fully optimized, there is plenty of room for a few games and I have to say the game now runs butter smooth, 60 fpscap. Even with the 970 I was getting slight stutters going around the first bend at brands hatch, but now its silky smooth. as I said in my first post I ran a r9 270x so am curious as to how it would run on a ssd. My steam hard drive was a 1TB BLACK EDITION with all my steam racing sims on, but now I will buy a larger SSD and install steam on it

So at the moment I have my Steam app and games on my HHD 1TB . I'm also a a AMD cpu user FX9370 (2xR9290 non X) with a SSD 250 GB for O.P If I'm reading your post correctly you installed Steam and games onto your SSD drive and you had better performance?

Yes that is correct. I have 2 drives, 250g SSD for boot and 1TB western digital black drive for games. With the r9 270x and steam installed onto my 1TB drive I could only get low to mid graphics at a 60FPS-CAP. With the G1 GTX 970 with the game installed lets say on my 2nd drive I can get high to ultra with the FPS60-CAP, but slight stutters here and there, as I said on brands hatch. But as soon as I removed the 1TB hard drive and installed steam on my 250G SSD with all SSD optimizations to keep SSD running at its best, project cars now runs ubber smooth. Obviously faster load times but the game now runs as smooth as it should. I am so glad I moved over to NVidia, ok £300 worse of but all games run so much smoother, RF2, ASSETO CORSA, GAME STOCK CAR, run very fast and smooth and at full detail. So what I will do is get another SSD just for steam and revert back to my 250g SSD for windows. Hope this helps you

What I expected was that my r9 270x as everyone saying amd cards don't work as well, so I tested and yes it did not perform. But the change over to the gtx 970 does make a hell of a difference. So I am saying that as the owner of both cards the 970 is better, but also stated if you setup the 270x right you can still enjoy the game. Its an informative comment for people with amd cards. And I don't like apples or melons so cant compare it to that

What I expected was that my r9 270x as everyone saying amd cards don't work as well, so I tested and yes it did not perform. But the change over to the gtx 970 does make a hell of a difference. So I am saying that as the owner of both cards the 970 is better, but also stated if you setup the 270x right you can still enjoy the game. Its an informative comment for people with amd cards. And I don't like apples or melons so cant compare it to that

You're either not understanding, or you're purposely being dense. Of course a $330 video card is better. Whether it's AMD or Nvidia, a $330 video card is obviously going to perform better than a $140 card. If you compared a $330 AMD card (290x) to a $330 Nvidia card (970), then you would have had a valid point. But you didn't. Is this game poorly optimized for AMD video cards? Yes. Does that mean Nvidia is objectively better? No. Just like Nvidia isn't objectively worse because their cards perform worse than AMD cards in games that use Mantle.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 4 6.8%