Tree shadows on track

Hi all, does anyone have any tips for creating good tree shadow effects across the track? Is it better using a standard tree Sbojects or objects (like from the GreatBritain Xpack for example), or to use invisible objects with shadow casting to create the shadow?

If anyone can post some details of their methods, techniques, setting etc, and how successful they think they are, this would be most appreciated. :D

I always seem to have a range of problems. Either the shadow is too soft, or it flickers.... need some advice!:D

This seems to be simple - make the background of the left part (the image) dark. Then you probably see light egdes, so make them dark also :) The darker you make the alpha channel, the more the picture will be transparent.

Thanks Martinez (again!).....worked a treat this time. Below is a rough test. Exactly the effect I was looking for. Added bonus is that if I set the texture in BTB to cast shadow at High detail using 'texture', and set 'cast shadow on car', it also appears to cast shadows onto the car even though technically in the below image this is just the tree dds texture (with alpha) as a material on a wall that is laid onto the track...! I put the tree objects next to it to complete the effect. The trees are not set to cast shadow. Will try same texture on a simple object.

ak_shadow_test.jpg
pencil.png

pencil.png

It looks very good! I was kind of tired, so the easier to understand explanation I found later could be - at this case (shadows) - the alpha channel (and shape it has) creates the shadow, so the image could be just solid gray ;) I'm happy you got my way of thinking :)

I almost recommended that very same link before I noticed a limited amount of export parameters. I then realized that 64 bit is backwards compatible. When the 64 bit version is installed it also installs a 32 bit version in Program Files (x86). Some claim there is no version of csx in such a folder under Win7.

If you try that script let us know what other export parameters are available.
You still need to install Nvidia Texture Tools 2 regardless cos’ the DDS plugin has never worked for any 64 bit versions I’m aware of.

You are right, I was trying that yesterday, but I seem to be hitting a snag, whichever .exe you run from CS5 64 extended or the x86 version, only the 64 pops up, must look into this. Anyway, it's not the biggest problem as I do my development on the track at home on XP, not at work, but would be nice to test these features during the day here as I have time, so I can give feedback. I will let you all know if I get it to work if you are planning to go the CS5 64 route.

When you double click on the executable within Program files (x86) you’re still getting x64 CS5? Are you using shortcuts by any chance? That could cause x64 to always open.

I think some people don’t see csx in (x86) because PS was custom installed. I know by default both are installed.

No, not using the shortcuts, I'm talking executing the exe straight out of the relative folder. Anyway, I am getting some luck with these in CS5 64 - I'll post a separate thread for that.

Actually, for tree shadows I just simply select trees close to the track I want to cast shadow, and make them cast shadow, but of MEDIUM quality, in that way the shadow is blurred and more realistic and less fps demanding than on very high. I also of course make it "texture" object, and tick cast on cars.. I never have significant frame drops even in lots of trees. Plus the shadows according to time (dawn, noon, dusk) have realistic orientation..

I tried it before with the btb option 'move the sunshine around' but somehow it doesnt seems to work.
So proberly you have to change the settings in yourtrackname.gdb

SkyBlendSunAngles=(-20.5, -1.0, 11.5, 25.5)
ShadowMinSunAngle=15.0
Latitude = 0 // degs from Equator (range: -90 to 90, positive is Northern Hemisphere)
NorthDirection = 245 // the direction of North in degrees (range: 0 to 359)

didnt have time to test myself.

Funny, just got the 'move the sunshine around' working , click on it and move the sun in topview ;)

Thanks Andre and Nothke. Can't get BTB sun to work at all, but have played with the setting in the track's .GDB file manually, and actually that works great with the shadows set to 'texture' and 'high'
, no flickering.

BTB defaults to latitude 0 which is right on the equator, therefore shadows are cast striaght down and appear relatively small. So if I set it to 51 degrees (UK latitude for example), shadows are longer and more pronounced.

I did a quick test and set NorthDirection to 0 and this seems to correspond with 'up' on the BTB 'top only' view.

Thanks Andre and Nothke. Can't get BTB sun to work at all, but have played with the setting in the track's .GDB file manually

As far as I know the sun position in BTB is only for illumination in BTB to see the effects, moving it doesn't have any effect in rFactor. As said, that comes from the gdb file. The RaceDate in the gdb file also affects the height etc of the sun in game.

Actually I don't know what the hell is the "sun" tool in btb for... For rfactor I just put venue coordinates in the gdb and it's perfect, however I don't know if such thing exists for RBR..

No, it doesn't affect RBR unfortunately. The only way to improve sun effects (like specular) is to rotate the whole track(s). Maybe there's something in Rx's FX files, but I don't think to mess there ;)

It is possible to control how dark the shadow is? I have tree objects (from the excellent Great Britain Xpack for example) that are casting shadows by texture, set to medium detail, and I'd like to be able to control how dark the actual shadow appears. Is this possible? Cheers.:D

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.