Thrustmaster TMX - FFB lacking much in the way of feedback compared to the ancient GTR2!

Having used AMS for 18 months and read much about the brilliant FFB, I had just assumed that the "less than perfect" feedback from my TMX wheel was due to it being a fairly low end model.
However over the weekend (following the GTR2 Power & Glory article on RD) I installed GTR2 and the feedback when under-steering is like night and day when compared to AMS. It has a real feeling of grip, grip, grip, no grip as you understeer into the gravel (yeah i need to practice more to not go in the gravel !!!).
On AMS I do not get that feeling at all, so have to assume that its a settings issue. With GTR2 i just launched the game, ticked the option to reverse feedback and off I went, with great (relatively) feedback. So no special config. With AMS I have tried various things but to no avail, so can only assume I must be doing something wrong.
Anyone out there using a TMX or close relative with AMS and if so, what settings do you use? Thanks

Hi...am planning to uninstall and re-download on the weekend, thus removing all add-ons (so i can just put back the few i need) and to rid any lingering setup of my old wheel.
Then i will see how things go, as currently I have stopped playing AMS, having reverted to GTR2. Bizarre as it may sound but with the FFB tweaking options that are on screen in the 10th Anniversary mod, i seem to have a better feel in this ancient game. I gave a mate a go on both and he also said he had no idea what the car was doing in AMS, whereas "the limit" could be felt in GTR2. Thus me thinks there may be something wrong somewhere as everyone says that AMS is one of the best. I did spend 90 mins last night fiddling with Thrustmaster control panel thingy and tweaking Low Boost and % feel but never found anything i liked. What do the sliders on the right side of the screen do? There is no preset for a TMX but i picked TX as a starter

Hi...am planning to uninstall and re-download on the weekend, thus removing all add-ons (so i can just put back the few i need) and to rid any lingering setup of my old wheel.
Then i will see how things go, as currently I have stopped playing AMS, having reverted to GTR2. Bizarre as it may sound but with the FFB tweaking options that are on screen in the 10th Anniversary mod, i seem to have a better feel in this ancient game. I gave a mate a go on both and he also said he had no idea what the car was doing in AMS, whereas "the limit" could be felt in GTR2. Thus me thinks there may be something wrong somewhere as everyone says that AMS is one of the best. I did spend 90 mins last night fiddling with Thrustmaster control panel thingy and tweaking Low Boost and % feel but never found anything i liked. What do the sliders on the right side of the screen do? There is no preset for a TMX but i picked TX as a starter

Keep fiddling. AMS physics and FFB are better than GTR2.

Any luck so far Stingray?

I had some issues with feeling the grip too with T300RS, and the answer seemed to lie in the RealFeelPlugin.ini in the AMS main folder.

Can you try these for the Formula V12 for example:

[F_V12]
MaxForceAtSteeringRack=-1600.000000
SteeringDamper=8500.000000
FFBMixerRealFeelPercent=100.000000
FrontGripEffect=0.450000
SmoothingLevel=2
Kf=6000.000000
Ks=5.000000
A=1.000000
----
In game:
FFB strength: 72%
Low force boost: 16%
---
Profiler main value: 100%
All others : 0%
---

Seems to me like the FrontGripEffect has a pretty big influence on how much you can actually feel the gradient of the front tire grip. Haven't tried really big numbers yet (the default is 0.000000), but I would imagine increasing the value would make the effect more pronounced.

Note: when you adjust the FrontGripEffect, you also need to raise/lower the MaxForceAtSteeringRack- value. With some cars you need to DEcrease the value to get more FFB, with some others you need in increase it. It varies car by car.

Hope this helps.

thanks.....Will give that a go, as for the past 2 weeks i've avoided AMS (other than 1-2 hours of constant twiddling of the settings). I've been using the MetalMoro as my test mule but will flip to the V12 per above and see how i go.

Ahh, sorry. Finally found some free time to plug in the wheel and re-check the settings, and I got it all wrong previously. The control panel settings are all at 100%, and indeed setting everything apart from overall to 0% results in a nigh-on zero feedback from the wheel. Should know by now not to trust my memory..
-----

Took a couple of hours setting up the AJR FFB, and here's what I ended up with:

[AJR:]
MaxForceAtSteeringRack=-2600.000000
SteeringDamper=2000.000000
FFBMixerRealFeelPercent=100.000000
FrontGripEffect=1.050000
SmoothingLevel=2
Kf=2500.000000
Ks=5.000000
A=1.100000
Kr=7.000000

Some explanations:
MaxForceAtSteeringRack: If the steering feels unresponsive in slow turns, try lowering this. It effectively stretches or shrinks the FFB range to fit to a certain force range.
SteeringDamper: Damping effects. Setting this to 0 effectively removes FFB, but it feels like too large values take out some of the fidelity out of it.
FrontGripEffect: Overall tire grip effect. Going over 1.0 feels quite pronounced, even slightly weird.
Kf: Static effects. Gives the wheel weight when stationary and when sliding.
Ks: Tire slip angle effect. Lowering makes understeer effects happen sooner.
A: Tire rubber stiffness. Added a little bit to make the steering feel slightly more sturdy.
Kr: Tire slip ratio effect. Lowering makes locking up brakes feel more pronounced.

-----

Thrustm_settings.png

20180630182009_1.jpg

Found some time to play on the weekend and (thanks Antti) FrontGripEffect=1.00000 made a big difference for me on the relatively low powered TMX wheel. The Porsche (alike) cars feel great as does the BAC Mono mod, whereas some others still dont feel great (particularly the EEC mod, which feels very odd)...more tweaking needed i guess !

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.