Th prodigal son returns....

Hi ,,,, returning it simracing after a 5 year ordeal with 4 spinal surgeries, Joined RD in 2008. Blowing the dust(more like scraping the rust) off of my racing rig. Started getting set up on rF2 which I had used before and AC which I had never used before. I was one of the few old RD members to buy and really like the first effort the Brazilian group did after breaking free of being rF modders,.
I work 1/2 time in the US west Coast(almost retired engineer) and can make many club races. Here's a loaded question for this group:

Is ASM2 worth buying? duh....

Ok...Let me ask it differently. What does it give the driver that the others don't (other than Brazilian tracks )_
1) it gives me more flexibility on what events I'm available to join....and
Survey says..2)......3) ....)XXX

Also how hard is to jump between AMS2 to AC or rF2?

Thanks a zillion

Is ASM2 worth buying? duh....

Ok...Let me ask it differently. What does it give the driver that the others don't (other than Brazilian tracks )_
1) it gives me more flexibility on what events I'm available to join....and
Survey says..2)......3) ....)XXX
For me it has the most immersive driving experience. The "thrill" is just there. Sense of speed is great. Especially with latest update the force feedback is clearly in front of AC and i am saying that as a AC-Fanboy with nearly 4000h playtime.
However i can`t compare with rf2 which i never got warm with. Maybe just never got it set up right.
Driving wise it could be a thing of personal taste i guess.

Singleplayer vs AI is good and immersive right now, but if you on multiplayer alone - AMS2 is just not there. Few players, still some problems.

Don`t know how the resonance with the Club-races here @RD is.

Combined with very nice visuals (yes even better than fully modded Assetto) and good content, yes i would say it`s worth it.

However i find some DLC prices way to high to be honest.

Thanks a zillion
What is meaned with "jump between" ? I am a jumper between AC and AMS2 and have no problem with it. But yeah all 3 mentioned feels differently while driving.

Last edited:
I race rf2 and AMS2 almost exclusively - after years of AC, Rf1 and R3E etc. I can say that after AMS2 found its sealegs, it has become my go to sim, so much so, that I host Tuesday races with it here on RD. If you love classic content it is the business. There are many versions of classic tracks alongside their modern versions as well as period correct car classes. The breadth of content is the main attraction for me: from Minis to V8 Supercars to Indy and modern GTs and F1s there's something for everyone. And the visuals are astonishing in VR and on a monitor. Driving into dusk on a track like Daytona is just jaw dropping in its cinematic immersion. The physics feel different to Rf2, perhaps a bit more forgiving, but they have come on quite a bit especially now with the new 1.5 release. I can jump between the two without too much bother after a small amount of readjustment time on track. You've just missed the summer sales, but I'd say the purchase is well worth it what ever combo of game - DLCs you choose. Just stay away from the outdated demo on Steam - it's pants.
20220323185956_1.jpg

I still skip between them a bit. Mostly when I want to bumble around a FatAlfie track or join an rF2 event here. I don't find it super difficult to switch for the actual driving, it's usually navigating the menus and remembering the foibles that is the biggest frustration.

I run the AMS2 Thursday events and most of my racing, either offline or online is done in AMS2 these days. I find it just works really well for what I want out of the hobby, especially since I only race in VR where it seems to shine. It's missing some of the more detailed stuff if you are interested in multiple setups and detailed lap analysis, but I get some of that via MoTeC anyway when I really, really need it. It's also got it's own fair share of quirks, but probably no more than other sims really.

Don`t know how the resonance with the Club-races here @RD is.
I think we have a nice group that race here regularly now, very friendly and laid back. We sometimes are low on numbers, but not on enthusiasm :)

It is worth buying despite a few niggles, which crossed over in the gaming engine.
I hope Reiza will revisit and correct how the chassis respond over suraces.
At this time, it is as if the body is extremely rigid and the suspension is only done by tire flex.
I also do not care for the fact it has banners splashed everywhere on screen and an inadequate replay system.
The sim overall is good.

The weak points of AMS 2 are well documented albeit blown out of proportion, and the latest patch brings consistency and precision across the entire roster. So, in the past I'd recommend it with a few caveats, I would now recommend it with no hesitation. The amount of content and the quality of the experience is quite staggering.

As far as going from title to title, After getting used to AMS2 I find I can still drop straight into AC but the AC driving model now feels very simplistic, ACC still felt very detailed but all the push and pull of the driving was different enough from what I was used to in AMS2 that I couldn't achieve the level of immersion I was after so I gradually stopped running that title (Poor VR performance and limited content also lowered its appeal).

rF2 I can't comment on.

I have 1300 hours on ACC and only 40 on AMS2... what I can say is that ACC has become too precise, there is only one ideal trajectory and going out means losing grip, I don't understand the physics after the 1.9 update.. cars that always slip, if you make a mistake of half a meter (both when braking and on the trajectory) it drifts and doesn't recover; for me it has lost some coherence, to make good times you have to be a robot and not make even a 10cm mistake.
On the contrary, AMS2 is now much more fun, the physics have improved a lot and you are always in control of the vehicle. Unlike ACC, if you make a mistake the car continues to hold and you only lose a little time (while with ACC you also lose 4-5 tenths per mistake).
Many will accuse me for saying these things about ACC but for me it's not as fun as before, you have to be first of all engineers and discover bugs to be able to exploit them or to make a setup that gives you an advantage, AMS2 so far I've always climbed without touching nothing and I had a lot of fun!
And then the VR experience of AMS2 is considerably better to the eye, pity the drop in FPS with rain or night and that parallel projection is still needed for VR.

I began with iRacing and have now tried them all. AMS2 now is top of my list. I'm doing online racing quite a bit on racecraft online and also discovering other online communities. It takes a bit more effort to find good online racing and the dedicated server needs some serious work by Reiza. But everything else about the sim is fantastic and as a VR racer nothing beats it. I get on well with the AI unlike some people, but tend to run them on low aggression.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 197 88.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 37 16.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 30 13.5%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 32 14.3%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 62 27.8%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 77 34.5%