Physics Swapping physics - three short questions

when finished the "swapping" process and "graphic offsetting" to have the car as I want, I need to understand the following things:

1) I noticed that the "new" car (cloned by an existing car) over which I swapped physics by a "donor" car does not have the same behaviour of the donor car, it's more a kind of a mix of the original+donor cars behaviour; is that correct ? why?

2) should I click on "update model" in "CM_Showroom->car “icon”-> Wheels->Align using data" ? What does it do ?

3) should I click on “update ambient shadows” "CM_Showroom->Tools" ? What does it do ?

To do the "physic swap" I follow this tutorial:

Last edited:
1 - the offset accounts for both physics and graphical model properties. Specifically, it's the distance between 0,0,0 on the model and the center of mass of the physics. Since the position of the center of mass can be moved around within the wheels and the model can be built anywhere in the 3d file it's specific to the pairing. Though 2 physics for the same car should generally have similar center of masses.

2 - it moves their base position in the kn5 which is only used by showrooms. It's safe to use it but unless it's weird looking when you first load it in the showroom there's no point.

3 - it generates textures in the base car folder (car + 4 tire textures). Then they're used for the 'ambient occlusion' on the track under the car. It's fine to click it but if they look ok then it's not necessary. Though again it's model+physics in combination, since ambient_shadows.ini says how large the body texture is and the model is what CM uses to generate the texture.

thank tou for the answer.

one last question: finished the swapping, I always see to make the "recalculate curves using data only": it is only to show the "new" power graph with the new curves ? but doing the "recalculate" does not change anything ? that's because the power.lut file is the only thing that Assetto Corsa use (and not the result of the "recalculate"?). Please tell me if I undertood fine or wrong.

And last: i see "recalculate using data only" but there is also the option "recalculate curves using data and power/torque values"; and "scale curves to power/torque values": what is the difference ? doing one or the other change anything on the physics/behaviour of the car ?

Last edited:
They both change the ui curve, one of them also changes the ui power/torque numbers, the other one leaves those alone and makes the curve fit the values (ignoring the absolute value in the physics)

just to better understand, the behaviour depends on what is in the power.lut and engine.ini, so if I make the "recalculate" or not, it does not change the car behaviour, is that correct ?

just to confirm the real data(bhp)isnt always the ones on the power graph but the ones after you recalculate using data only,right ?

To some extent yes. There are a few ways that can still show incorrect values. Doesn't show hybrid power for example, even if it's always on, and if the car has an adjustable turbo there's not one correct amount.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea