Steer-by-wire to improve our current ffb in sims?

• Thread starter Deleted member 963434
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 963434

• Deleted member 963434

Yo i started to talk too much abous ffb in other thread so i go so much off topic and think i shall make my own topic about thing i discovered. We know how ffb system in our sims work, instead of constant connection between our steering wheels and front wheels in sims, like sim should tell wheel where to position itself based on where front wheels in sim are positioned, instead we have sim tellin wheel how much force to apply for it to position itself to match where wheels in sim are, then it reach that point an sim tellin wheel to get back cause it made too much force an it then applies reverse force and we have oscillation, yo need very good settings to make cars feel connected to road in sims.
But i found now tey making steering system in real life cars just as we have in our sims, its called steer-by-wire and its uses no physical connection between steerin wheel and front wheels. its in real car wheel connected to big electric motor and controller tellin wheel how to work based on what front wheels doin. i dont think tis works as our sims as there be too much oscillations and other weird forces an that would be dangerous in real life. they surely make it feel like there is real physical steering rack, and that is electric motor which controlls wheel xD
yo think tis technology will came into our sims in nearest future? that there be finally no ffb settings wheel would just act as wheels in sims do? i mean it surely is easier to do in game than in real life, tey even maybe makin it simulations before tey put it in real car, and now tey dont want to share technology xD
its called steer-by-wire or drive-by-wire an it works same as we have in sims, its direct driven electric motor and controller

I always thought drive by wire is pedals, and from what I understand that is already implemented in some cars. I had a 2008 Ford Focus (U.S. version) that had drive by wire, and I know that the throttle did not have the traditional throttle cable that the 2005 Focus I leased did. I wasn't able to tell much of a difference between the two when it came to throttle response, but a friend told me that Ford tuned the '08's throttle to feel just as "peppy" as the 2001 - 2007's throttle.

I never came across drive by wire brakes in a passenger car, but I am certain that the civic busses I drive for work have it or something eerily similar. The busses we use up here are a mix between Gillig's Low model, and Nova Bus's (a subsidiary of Provost Motor coach) LFS Diesel/CNG models. All of them feel disconnected from the air brakes when ever I press the pedal. Which really felt odd, especially after driving school busses for years beforehand. In a school bus, the brakes felt immediate and present. The civic busses feel like there's a small delay before anything happens. It's one of the reasons I never drive the bus with any aggression. The same can be said about the throttle. This time the civic bus has a very noticeable delay. It is about 2 seconds before the bus responds to the throttle. Again, this feels like a deterrent measure.

The Nova busses really have soured my stomach on the thought of buying a car that's DBW. It's another thing that can go wrong, and it's in no way preferable to having a physical connection to a throttle and a brake cylinder. After all; I'd hate to press the brake, and all of a sudden the throttle starts accelerating. That has happened way too many times in the Nova's. Thank goodness that busses are slow and ponderous, because after a re-press of the brake pedal, the brake acted like a brake again. If all else fails, I can always pull the emergency brake on the bus. That'll stop the bus pretty quickly, but I have yet to see a parking brake do the same for a passenger car.

Upvote 0
On one hand this seems like a solution looking for a problem but on the other hand control-by-wire systems are how 50million dollar military jets are dealt with so it's not like the technology is unreliable or some kind of cheapskate shortcut.

Would be kinda neat to be able to set the wheel rotation range based on your mood and conditions as well as being able to shape the feedback profiles to suit your tastes/styles while being able to swtich them on the fly. Pretty neato if you think about it

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 207 88.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 40 17.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 32 13.6%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 34 14.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 64 27.2%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 79 33.6%