@steelys AC Servo G-Seat project

Hi Guys, in the spirit of other members of the DIY community I though I'd share my progress for my G-Seat project that's been going on in the background for the better part of this last year. Others have inspired me and I hope my learnings can help other masochists. (OR) really show you exactly how much is involved and save you a few hundred hours of your life and just get your wallet out.

I've had 3 different major prototypes with handfuls of iterations in them; I'm now on what I think is the one that's going to work.

Disclaimer: This is just a one off for me - I don't have any plans to release a kit, designs etc. I'm happy to share learnings, but this has waaaaay way too much fabrication involved to be an easy open source DIY design. Dimensions, loads, weights, angles all vary from seat and humans and this is super dangerous - I've seen how fast servos can end up moving seat flaps, too high/too much torque and you will break a rib.

But if you're hell bent on doing it, if my blogs/videos can help you save some time/money, I'm happy to share.

Big shout out to: Bruce, Saxxon66, J.R, Buri, Flag, Volk etc - lots of ideas, shared problem solving etc.

I've written up a handful of blog posts and captured some videos of the progress to date. I'm like this --> <--- close to having it all hold up under full load which I'm pretty stoked about.

20200127_124522-1024x768.jpg

G-Seats' are freaking awesome; this video should really convey how awesome they are :

My playlist on YouTube for it

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3UGjbNtp5quXxbQ0f8wQI3lJCrvWCFDl

All the details on my current prototype

https://www.rowanhick.com/2020/02/01/diy-g-seat-prototype-3-the-power-pack

And my old prototypes here

https://www.rowanhick.com/motion-simulator

Last edited:
Will do - I'm going to try to get another go in a GS-5 to compare them back to back. It will be really interesting now to see what one's like. Don't want to take anything away from them so my original impression was more the aesthetics not to my taste, and the noise...

Upvote 0
The noise levels of the GS-5 are terrible. From what i've heard they are using the same servos for their seat belt tensioners :rolleyes:

But..... It's a very compact package and they have managed to make it look pretty good. The G-5 seat needs some mods though, so i have modded the shaped of the back panels and the placement of the bottom panels, making it an entire different experience.

It has 3 different modes and a tab where you can change the off-set. Be sure to set it up right for your body shape. I'm pretty sure your seat will win the comparison hands down, but as a commercial product the GS-5 is very good (but expensive) buy.

If i didn't have mobile rig.......... I would love to go the DIY route and build my own G-seat, following your path.

Upvote 0
The noise levels of the GS-5 are terrible. From what i've heard they are using the same servos for their seat belt tensioners :rolleyes:

But..... It's a very compact package and they have managed to make it look pretty good. The G-5 seat needs some mods though, so i have modded the shaped of the back panels and the placement of the bottom panels, making it an entire different experience.

It has 3 different modes and a tab where you can change the off-set. Be sure to set it up right for your body shape. I'm pretty sure your seat will win the comparison hands down, but as a commercial product the GS-5 is very good (but expensive) buy.

If i didn't have mobile rig.......... I would love to go the DIY route and build my own G-seat, following your path.

HoiHman — I also have a GS-5 and am curious how you modified your panels. Do you mind sharing photos of your changes? I have been searching the forums for detailed pictures of your GS-4 mods and have only found a few and a video. It looks like you attached L-angle to the back panels and padded w/ high density foam — did you do the same for the GS-5?

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea