Spinning clouds overhead, is this fixable?

Hi

When looking up whilst a cloud is passing overhead, the cloud performs a... pirouette.

When it's a little cloud graphic it's fine as you don't see it unless looking up, however when it's a long cloud, you sometimes see it even when not looking up.

They're especially noticeable when the weather causes the clouds to move quickly as the cloud rapidly does its pirouette.

Is this a known issue? Is it fixable?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ah, the old Flight Simulator X spinning clouds strike here too!

Jokes aside, I don't think anything can be done with it. And without actually knowing how the graphics engine works in AMS2, I bet the reason is the same as it was with old Flight Simulators.

Those puffy clouds are just simple 2D bitmaps. They always show the same side towards the camera. You notice this when the cloud passes the viewpoint close as the radian speed of the texture is also high and it looks like the cloud is spinning. This isn't noticeable when the cloud texture is far on the skybox. If it wouldn't be coded like this, that 2D texture would look odd as it would "compress" thinner when the angle changes and from a certain angle you wouldn't see it at all as it just has that one visible side.

And normally I wouldn't say that it is a distracting issue if you are focused on the racing and car is turning and bouncing on the track :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.