Season 8 Race 6 Sepang - Weather

The strange thing is that when I set weather in the dedicated server (without weather.txt) I can only set a value between 10% and 100%.
This value stands for, on and off path wetness, and rainfall also. Iow, if I set 70% everything is 70% on the track.

When one use the weather.txt to alter the weather it is totally different. In the txt-file one sets what the conditions are, and stuff like on- and off- path wetness is dynamic.

Therefore the weather on practice server is very different from weather in the real race where you will experience that the on- and off- track wetness varies a lot. (In the real race it will be much more important to stay on the racing line as this will likely be much less wet than the rest of the track, this is not the case on practice server).

I understand. So everyone who looks at my example graph (in the other post you mentioned before) should know that these percentage values for conditions (humidity) are the same like in the weather.txt file.

Finally it's ok to have different conditions on a practice server than in the real event. But it's good to know that holding the racing line in the real event is much more important.

I understand. So everyone who looks at my example graph (in the other post you mentioned before) should know that these percentage values for conditions (humidity) are the same like in the weather.txt file.

It would be good if we could make a table for wetness and tyre choice like I have done below, but preferably a bit more accurate. So far this is what I think I know. Please let me know if you disagree or have more acurate information:

EDIT:
Just did some laps with Tim on 30% with slicks and inters, the result was that inters were 1,5-2 sec faster, but left side overheated and rear left wore with about 4% a lap, so they will only be good for 10 laps or so.

0%-25% = slicks
25%-29% = slick or inter
30%-55% = inter
55%-69% = inter or wet
70%-100% = wet

Remember, it is both a question of pace and wear :)

We should do a scientific test to find those values as the "Condition" which works like Humidity. That much is already clear that conditions=75 is the lightest rain possible, Conditions 74 the track dries very slowly. Condition = 85 is starting to really cause problems, above that even full wets is not enough. . What i've previously tested the 85% wetness and 85% condition is about the same. But since it's based on a feeling (i didn't have RTT then) a more exact method could be suitable.. I can do a weather.txt that checkes my theory. By proximation, raising 2 full steps in condition makes the tire compound raise to the limit of "just about time to change" and 4 means definite compound change.

So let's check this:
(All these values are in conditions format)
75-76 Slicks
76-77 Slicks or Inter
78-79 Inter
80-81 Inter or Wet
82-84 Wet

Test pattern: 2 step increase every 5 minutes = 50min Or will this kill the joy of surprise too much, a bit of a spoiler?

EDIT: Hmm, i just read from another thread that Reik thought 88% condition in Hungary was still inters... I have to check how the curve is made.. And i remembered the lo limit wrong, it's 70% that starts to rain.. :oops::rolleyes:

Hmm, i just read from another thread that Reik thought 88% condition in Hungary was still inters...

I meant that I was able to handle these conditions well with inters. During the race I didn't know that it was raining that much, because my Motec XD Overlay doesn't show exact percentage values. Tim said after the race that he was a little bit quicker on wets at this time. Finally I tend to stay on the safe side in terms of tyre temps. Or in other words: If I'm not certain if it rains very much I better stay on inters, because wets are overheating extremely fast if there's not enough water on the track.

I know that I could avoid such gambling by using a second monitor with better telemetry but I'm to lazy to do that and I also like gambling. Even in the real, high technologized F1 they don't have an exact percentage value for wetness on track, so also the real F1 drivers have to build up their own feeling and make their own call (guess) which tyres to use. (No offence to those, who use detailed telemetry!:))

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.