Rosberg forced to take fourth engine for Singapore GP

Nico Rosberg.jpg

Nico Rosberg will switch to his fourth and final new engine for this weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix.

The move follows his engine failure three laps from the end of the Italian Grand Prix nearly two weeks ago. There the German was forced to run an older-spec engine after the latest version Mercedes introduced for Monza encountered cooling problems in his car.

The team have since repaired the issues with that engine, but are understood to be concerned that Singapore’s very demanding conditions might expose any further reliability weaknesses, and so Rosberg will use his fourth and final allowed power unit for the season.

Rosberg stands 53 points behind his teammate Lewis Hamilton in the championship, losing 25 in the last race due to the late retirement, and now his chances of narrowing the gap might have worsened.

Notwithstanding any reliability issues for his British rival, Rosberg may have to conserve his remaining engines in the remaining seven races or face grid penalties for using more than the allocated four engines per driver for the season.

Despite his recent misfortune, the 30 year-old refused to concede the championship race is already over. "I have the chance to keep believing or not and I have chosen to keep believing because it is going to help for the next couple of races and historically in sport anything can happen”, he said.

"There are still seven races to go, lots of points, so I keep pushing. With the car that we have its possible to win every race weekend which is a great feeling so focus on race weekends and then see what Lewis does.”

Still, he admitted the situation was more favourable to him in 2014 than this year. "I want to win the championship. The feeling last year in Singapore was a lot better than now as I had 20-something points the other way. I much preferred that one."

Just a little feedback for the news editors.
Formula one has more column inches dedicated to it than the rest of motorsport combined and there are many many sites that run all the same F1 stories.

If people are going to take the time to find and post stories from about the place I would be really interested to see what is happening in Formula Renault 3.5, GP2, European F3, BRDC F4, Blancpain Endurance etc etc. Those stories I have to go looking for whereas I cant open the BBC home page without reading the same F1 stories I see here.
So it's not really adding much value in my view.
Thanks

Formula One is the largest, most followed form of Motorsport in the world. Additionally, this is the "Formula One" section of the website, so naturally this is where we cover Formula One.

Last edited:
It seems like the little chance he had to win is slipping away again with the engine :(

I'm sure none of us would like to see an engine decide the championship (or well I'll take that back actually idiots :sneaky:).

Positive for Lewis because it means he took the championship.:roflmao: Or do you think they are still giving double points in the last race???? They dropped that rule for this year.;)
Gotta think positive :thumbsup:

If Lewis gets through this season without a single retirement, I will put my hat in the oven.

Formula One is the largest, most followed form of Motorsport in the world. Additionally, this is the "Formula One" section of the website, so naturally this is where we cover Formula One.
And its the most reported....everywhere.
I was referring to the fact it is pinned on the front page "News" section.
How about sone "News" from all these other series. That might actually be news.
Then RD wont be just another lookalike news service regurgitating stuff that has appeared in multiple other sources.

We try to cover a broad range, but since a Formula One is the most popular among fans, it's the one we cover most. We don't have a large writing team, currently only about 3-4 staffers, so we do the best we can. We mainly try to cover Formula One, WEC, IndyCar, WRC, WTCC and simracing.

More often than not, Formula One news is breaking everyday, which gives us plenty to report on and discuss. As much as I love Blancpain etc. they don't generate nearly as much news so it can be difficult to cover.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea