Racing the AI, and rain

I'm new to AMS2. I like racing against AI and am finding it fairly good so far.

I'd like to race in races where there is a rain slot, but I'm finding that (in a race where I've been evenly matched against the AI in the dry conditions) when the road gets wet the AI seems to be loads stronger than me. Perhaps it's becuase I'm not used to racing in the rain, but I do get the impression that they are way better than me once it's wet.

Am I right? If so, is there a way to mitigate this so that AI races (with rain) can be fairer? Does changing tyres help?

Yep the A.I is way faster than the player on a wet track they drive like its a dry track, they don`t have a same pyshics as the player and are not effected by puddles, wet kerb etc.

Yep the A.I is way faster than the player on a wet track they drive like its a dry track, they don`t have a same pyshics as the player and are not effected by puddles, wet kerb etc.
Thanks.
So racing agaisnt the AI in the rain is hardly possible, I guess. Unless you have the entire race in rain from start to finish and you turn the AI strength way down.
You can change the AI skill in the wet if you're using custom AI drivers: https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/information-for-customizing-ai-drivers-in-ams2-v1-3.21758/
Thanks for the tip. That looks like it'd be a lot of hassle to sort out. Are there custom AI files already created to make it an easy solution?

I just wanted to say that this is not always true. The core series (Brazilian Stock Car series) act realistically and work very well in the rain (they slow down and such, so I can actually keep my AI set to 100 and run rain or shine). Maybe this is because this is the real core of the game (where it all started lol).. who knows.. but I just wanted to say that all AI are not unrealistic in the rain. I also had good luck with GT3/GTE but haven't done a lot of rain racing with them. The rest of the cars/series.. yeah.. pretty rough :)

It depends on the car class and tracks, some are too easy(F-Trainer, GT3) some are pretty good(F-Vintage, Stock Cars) and others are too fast( F-Ultimate) I haven't tried all cars/tracks combos, but the AI do slow down for the big puddles and often spin out, the problem are the medium puddles, they can manage them much better.

I just wanted to say that this is not always true. The core series (Brazilian Stock Car series) act realistically and work very well in the rain (they slow down and such, so I can actually keep my AI set to 100 and run rain or shine). Maybe this is because this is the real core of the game (where it all started lol).. who knows.. but I just wanted to say that all AI are not unrealistic in the rain. I also had good luck with GT3/GTE but haven't done a lot of rain racing with them. The rest of the cars/series.. yeah.. pretty rough :)
That's good news that some AI, at least, is a fair opponent in the rain.

You say 'Brazilian stock car series', I take it you're talking about the modern (like 2018 to 2021, no?) Brazilian stock cars, not the old (1979?) ones? Or are you referring to both?
It depends on the car class and tracks, some are too easy(F-Trainer, GT3) some are pretty good(F-Vintage, Stock Cars) and others are too fast( F-Ultimate) I haven't tried all cars/tracks combos, but the AI do slow down for the big puddles and often spin out, the problem are the medium puddles, they can manage them much better.
You mean F-trainer and GT3 are easier AI to beat in the rain?

Last edited:
That's good news that some AI, at least, is a fair opponent in the rain.

You say 'Brazilian stock car series', I take it you're talking about the modern (like 2018 to 2021, no?) Brazilian stock cars, not the old (1979?) ones? Or are you referring to both?

You mean F-trainer and GT3 are easier AI to beat in the rain?
Yes, there are some car classes that are much more enjoyable to race against the AI on the rain, the F-Trainer is one of them.

In the last update they changed how the tires behaved in the rain and now most cars are easier(still challenging)to drive on the wet so you have more chances against the AI.

I had to use TC on the F-Vintages before when it was wet to keep up, but now I can hold my own against the AI on soaked conditions at 110 difficulty.

If you still have issues with them on the rain but can keep up in the dry, just use TC when it starts to rain so you don't have to keep changing the difficulty.

Yes, there are some car classes that are much more enjoyable to race against the AI on the rain, the F-Trainer is one of them.

In the last update they changed how the tires behaved in the rain and now most cars are easier(still challenging)to drive on the wet so you have more chances against the AI.

I had to use TC on the F-Vintages before when it was wet to keep up, but now I can hold my own against the AI on soaked conditions at 110 difficulty.

If you still have issues with them on the rain but can keep up in the dry, just use TC when it starts to rain so you don't have to keep changing the difficulty.
Thanks for the tip about using TC in the rain. Good idea. I need to remember that. But that's only a useful tip for those cars (eg modern race cars) where you can turn TC on or off while driving, right? When you used TC with F-Vintages, you had turned TC on globally in Options, I guess.

You say some car classes are better for racing AI in rain. Which car classes?

You can turn on TC anytime while driving, just pause the game and enable it in the options, that way you can enable it only when it rains on cars that don't have any TC.

Of the classes that I have driven enough on the rain to give an opinion the most fair are:
F-Vintages
F-RetroG1
F-Trainer
F-Vee
Lancer Cup
Stock Cars (Modern ones)
The Volkswagen cup
Sprint Cars
GT3&GT4

I haven't tried the F-Classics on the wet enough to form an opinion, but the F-Ultimates are very difficult to keep with the AI on the wet. I am sure there are other classes that are not too bad as well.

Remember this can change by tracks as well, they might be very slow on one and impossible in another. However the ones I mentioned are mostly good everywhere, let's hope Reiza can balance them all better in the future.

Last edited:
You can turn on TC anytime while driving, just pause the game and enable it in the options, that way you can enable it only when it rains on cars that don't have any TC.

Of the classes that I have driven enough on the rain to give an opinion the most fair are:
F-Vintages
F-RetroG1
F-Trainer
F-Vee
Lancer Cup
Stock Cars (Modern ones)
The Volkswagen cup
Sprint Cars
GT3&GT4

I haven't tried the F-Classics on the wet enough to form an opinion, but the F-Ultimates are very difficult to keep with the AI on the wet. I am sure there are other classes that are not too bad as well.

Remember this can change by tracks as well, they might be very slow on one and impossible in another. However the ones I mentioned are mostly good everywhere, let's hope Reiza can balance them all better in the future.
Thanks for all these tips. I hadn't thought of going into options mid-race and putting on TC like that. Great!

Do the ai actually use the boost in the stockcars? I haven't had 1 ai pass me on the straight at all. kinda pointless if they don't use it

One of the reasons why I don't play with rain is because of your point, another is that you don't get fair warning of an approximation of when rain is coming nor how long it might last. Doesn't have to be exact, but it would be nice to know an estimate.

If you play 4 weather cycles in Daytona Road at 2.5 hours and the second one is rain, there is a chance that the second weather cycle will kick in moments after you pit and if you put on hard tires (for the night portion coming up to doublt/triple stint them), you are screwed. This happened to me twice.

I cringe everytime i see YT video titles exclaiming how awesome the weather is in AMS2. It's looks good, but it was implemented in the most basic, half assed way possible.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 82 65.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 55 43.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 55 43.7%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 30 23.8%
Back