Raceroom Remastered Reshade (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Large Style submitted a new resource:

Raceroom Remastered Reshade (2023) - Enhanced visuals to a more modern standard!

Welcome to my Reshade preset for Raceroom Racing Experience!

This mod features multiple post-processing effects made possible by the program "Reshade" to make Raceroom look more modern and visually pleasing by essentially making lighting (sunlight & shadows) more impactful along with providing several other atmospheric lighting & tone-mapping enhancements!

My mission was to make a professional grade & intelligently executed visual mod that feels like it's part of the game itself, and to...

Read more about this resource...

I had someone on another forum comment that my video made it seem like it was less clearer to see (the racing) than without the mod, so in case anyone here has the same thoughts he's my answer...

... Presuming you're referring to it being darker when in shadows, that matter can be a little complicated. I'm not going defensive here, but as some feedback...

1) Firstly, general advice is to always check that your display is accurately calibrated and doesn't contain any "enhancing modes" such as anything that changes contrast. To ballpark the display you need some test patterns and can be setup by eye in a dark room. If say the lower end of someone's brightness / dynamic contrast / black levels are not calibrated properly then dark greys can become black (called black crush) or just darker than they should be. As my Reshade has darker areas in sunlight / sunrise shadows then your display needs to be spot on with accuracy otherwise any visual change could be a step too far and negatively effect visuals / practicality. On all my displays (1 newish OLED & 2 Sony LED) the "darkness" looks ok and is definitely raceable.

2) While in one regard the original / "reshade off" is obviously correct as that's simply how the devs made it and more importantly that's how it looks when using a graphics engine that's only linear-based (side-stepping gamma correction curves) one could argue that their shadows are too bright but had to be done that way as a linear-based setup doesn't contain enough visual information / range to pull off darker lighting while preserving brighter detail within low lighting (in other words, it's averaged out for balancing sakes). That's the whole point of tone-mapping, to get a much wider range of luminosity which is what my Reshade does. Admittedly when tone-mapping is applied to a "linear space" then internal lighting compensations are normally required, but this can only be done internally by the game's devs. All I can do is what this Reshade preset already does, in that I manually made some custom curves to ensure there was no black crush and that shadowy areas weren't too dark. Of course when it comes to what is and isn't too dark that all kinda starts to become subjective apart from when dealing with HDRi lighting, but that's well outside of Racerooms native scope / capability.

3) The visual differences between modded vs original look more extreme when shown in the blunt on/off way that my video does - when you just have my Reshade on it doesn't stand out anywhere near as much and (to me) looks more natural. As a perfect example of how my settings aren't very dark in comparison, the video's shadows at Laguna Seca on the home straight with original lighting have a luminosity / brightness of 26%, while my lighting in the same place is 21% (obviously not that different). IIRC from some HDRi analysis I've done, a sunny day's shadows IRL span a from around 55% upper limit to 15% lower - so for non-HDRi lighting set at sunrise / sunset then my shadow levels are definitely in the ball-park, even if very marginally lower (5% at most). I presented the video the way I did just for ease, time-saving, and I thought it just made it very clear what the difference was between modded vs original, but in hindsight I can see how that can backfire compared to just showing it as is and letting people see / try it for themselves.

3) The darker shadows stand out the most only in sunrise & sunsets settings - the morning, afternoon, and midday settings don't have particularly dark shadows at all. Again, I can't change their internal lighting engine for the extreme times of day so one Reshade preset likely won't be 100% perfect, but as said this preset already has compensation tweaks so no loss of detail happens. Before I made those adjustments you couldn't see most of the inside of the Indycar cockpit, which is now (just about) fully visible even with a tone-mapper that naturally destroys darker content. Last night I did a 3 lap race that was the last Raceroom race in the video (1992 DTM, Nordschleife in Afternoon) and it look pretty perfect to me.

4) Although I really like the look of having what I call more impactful lighting, I acknowledge that some people might find this (slightly) less practical. I ideally wanted to have the darker areas have even more detail and light in them than it currently has, but that would put me square in the territory of fix something by breaking something else. I could possibly make alternative presets that are easily switchable that could be more tailored to different times of day, but I thought this would inconvenience people too much, maybe completely break the general tone-mapping, plus I like the concept of making just one preset that does the technically & visually correct adjustments and compensations all in one configuration. Now that I have v1.0 released (which will remain to be the main version of this mod) I will look into how much I can brighten up some of the darker times without breaking the rest of the day.

So long story not short - if / when I can make it lighter / clearer to see without breaking the tone-mapping as a whole then I'll update the mod to a new revision (both versions would be included) but these might be pretty big "ifs" and "whens"!!
:)

Just a quick update - I've improved the lighting levels / details in shadows. They're a touch lighter / more realistic, giving them more range of lighting. It reduces the contrast between sunlight & shadows a bit too so the image / lighting is a bit less impactful, but it admittedly still looks really cool. I'll update the mod in the next day or two with this less-dark version, along with a less-contrasty alternative that I've been experimenting with for a different but still natural look.

First pic is v1.0 (current release) - second pic is the lighter & more detailed shadows, and last pic is of the experimental version. Pretty sure that'll cover most people's needs.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Yet another update...

Very short version is that the update hasn't happened yet as I wasn't happy with progression, even though it was already "improved" regarding the shadow levels as pictured above. I've now remade the mod again from the start as I needed to take a major reassessment / new approach in order to fix what didn't look right, and it's paid off nicely. It's very close to release, I just need further testing and any last refinements - so might be tomorrow (Friday) or sometime over this weekend latest.

For now, here's a couple of pics using V2 and a lap around The Ring purposely set almost entirely in shadow to demonstrate the improvements made...
RRRE64 2023-07-27 22-12-03.jpg

RRRE64 2023-07-27 21-02-34.jpg

Large Style updated Raceroom Remastered Reshade (2023) with a new update entry:

Version 2 now released!

Although V1 was made to be solely a technical remaster it ended up being a bit more artistic than planned, so V2 is what V1 set out to be! V2 is therefore less visually impactful in terms of lighting levels and effects, but instead it's strengths lie in correcting / updating Raceroom's visuals in a very balanced way and is therefore more suitable for mainstream use.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Outstanding work. I'm admittedly not usually a fan of Reshade mods, but this looks like it's a great improvement over the default visuals and is done with such care and attention to detail that I'd love to support it.

I won't have the chance to get back to my gaming PC and give it a try for a couple weeks :( but I'm very much looking forward to the chance. Will be sure to share any feedback I have. :)

Raceroom Remastered V1 raw shots no post processing. I only made tweaks to your already existing preset (saturation/ambient light/brightness) to suit my monitor nothing else. Love it and will now give your V2 a try :)

RRRE64_A.jpg

RRRE64_B.jpg

RRRE64_C.jpg

Outstanding work. I'm admittedly not usually a fan of Reshade mods, but this looks like it's a great improvement over the default visuals and is done with such care and attention to detail that I'd love to support it.

I won't have the chance to get back to my gaming PC and give it a try for a couple weeks :( but I'm very much looking forward to the chance. Will be sure to share any feedback I have. :)
I'm so sorry MJQT but your very kind message somehow slipped passed my, so many apologies for not replying sooner.

Thank you for your very kind words and taking time out to write them! All I'm after is for people to use the mod if they like it enough and nothing else.

By the time you get back to your PC i would imagine V3 of the mod will be released, and that should be the best version yet!

Raceroom Remastered V1 raw shots no post processing. I only made tweaks to your already existing preset (saturation/ambient light/brightness) to suit my monitor nothing else. Love it and will now give your V2 a try :)

View attachment 684432

View attachment 684433

View attachment 684434
Many thanks for your kind words and for taking time out to share those pics - that's the first time anyone's done that for the mod & me!

Yes V1 was flawed in a few areas which were improved upon in V2. I wasn't entirely happy with that version either so V3 is well in the works now and it should trump V2 quite nicely!!

I was trying this for GTR2 and discovered it wouldn't compile the shader without adding a ReShade.fxh that I went and used from another ReShade. Worked after that, though.

I was trying this for GTR2 and discovered it wouldn't compile the shader without adding a ReShade.fxh that I went and used from another ReShade. Worked after that, though.
I've not encountered that issue, and in fact I just reinstalled GTR2 with my latest version of my mod (a revision of V4 that I'll release very soon) and I didn't have to touch any .fxh files. Odd that.

how to uninstall reshade.exe?
Re-run the Reshade .exe file that you downloaded and used to install it in the first place, then go through the prompts / stages as if you were installing / reinstalling again and you'll get to an uninstall option. I'll try and do a video tutorial covering installing / setup / uninstalling in the next day or two.

Large Style updated Raceroom Remastered Reshade (2023) with a new update entry:

VUE4.1 Update Released!

This unplanned update overhauls several flaws / imperfections found within VUE4, specifically being...

- ACES Tone Mapper no longer crushes blacks
- Highlights (bright areas) contain more visual detail
- New Dynamic White Level Optimiser
- Gamma corrected to normal values
- Mid-tones have better contrast
- Colours are more faithful & accurate to "vanilla"

Also includes a separate "Legacy" preset which is for any older / un-tonemapped Simracing title, and maybe any old game full-stop.

I've...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi! Does this work with VR? I know ReShade 5.0 and up will support it, but I think the configuration for monitor and VR are separate.
Hi there. I'm so sorry for not replying to your message - it somehow passed me by. You obviously may've found out the answer by now, but FWIW I've heard that my mod & Reshade does work in VR, although (just) one person told me that it might make the game a bit unstable (crashes). But fundamentally speaking, yes it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes