PSA: Thrustmaster drivers interfere with Cammus wheelbase firmware update (with solution)

Even though the Cammus wheel base doesn't have a huge amount of adopters yet, I discovered a solution to an issue others are likely to encounter so I'm putting a guide up here for people from the future.

Background

If you previously had a Thrustmaster wheel base, there's a good chance the lingering drivers will interfere with the Cammus firmware update procedure. The issue seems to be caused by both devices using the same STM32 chip under the hood, which when put into device firmware update (DFU) mode, both have the same USB device vendor and product code. This causes Windows to mistakenly identify the Cammus DFU mode as the pre-existing Thrustmaster DFU driver. When updating firmware, the device will show up in Device Manager as "Guillemot STM DFU Device" instead of "Total Phase PD Analyzer Update Mode". The Cammus software will then be unable to find the correct device and throw a "dfu device find failed!" error.

Solution
  1. First attempt (and fail) a firmware update in the Cammus App to put the device into DFU mode.
  2. Navigate to Device Manager from the Windows search bar/control panel.
  3. Find Guillemot STM DFU Device under "Sound, video and game controllers".
  4. Right click the device and click "Uninstall device".
  5. IMPORTANT: In the confirm window, make sure to tick the checkbox for "Delete the driver software for this device".
  6. Click "Uninstall".
  7. Reinstall the Cammus App, making sure the Total Phase USB Driver package installs.
  8. Attempt to update the firmware - the device should show up as Total Phase PD Analyzer Update Mode during and after the update.
It should work from just these steps but you may also consider uninstalling the Thrustmaster software suite and deleting the "Guillemot" folders in both \Program Files and \Program Files (x86).

NOTE: If you have another computer that has never had the Thrustmaster driver installed on it, you will be able to update from that machine. So if you intend to continue using your Thrustmaster wheel, it may be easier to just do that.

Last edited:
I just bought a cammus 15nm wheel and it worked great for about an hour then it started to disconnect randomly but would reconnect after resetting the cammus app. Yesterday it disconnected and I cannot for the life of me get it to reconnect. My computer has stopped recognizing the wheel and doesn't give me any indication that it is connected and I also cannot get the app on my phone to connect to the wheelbase. If I take the usb cable that is in the back of the wheelbase and plug it into the pedals the computer will recognize those but nothing from the wheel.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the cammus software and total phase usb stuff twice with no change. Could the usb port on the wheelbase have some sort of hardware issue causing this maybe because I am not sure what else program wise to do to try and fix it. Any help with this would be appreciated but no worries if you got nothing on it. Your post was just the only post talking about an issue with a cammus wheelbase so I figured I would try.

I just bought a cammus 15nm wheel and it worked great for about an hour then it started to disconnect randomly but would reconnect after resetting the cammus app. Yesterday it disconnected and I cannot for the life of me get it to reconnect. My computer has stopped recognizing the wheel and doesn't give me any indication that it is connected and I also cannot get the app on my phone to connect to the wheelbase. If I take the usb cable that is in the back of the wheelbase and plug it into the pedals the computer will recognize those but nothing from the wheel.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the cammus software and total phase usb stuff twice with no change. Could the usb port on the wheelbase have some sort of hardware issue causing this maybe because I am not sure what else program wise to do to try and fix it. Any help with this would be appreciated but no worries if you got nothing on it. Your post was just the only post talking about an issue with a cammus wheelbase so I figured I would try.
I recommend you hop onto the Cammus discord and ask for some help there: https://discord.gg/ktnJP6AgQm

Last edited:
Hi @zhutwo and thank you for your post here and pin in the Cammus discord. I never ran into any problem when my Cammus succedeed to my T500RS thanks to your warning. ;)
Interesting - I had the T300RS. Maybe the T500RS uses a different chip instead of the STM32. Thanks for the additional data point!

EDIT: Misread your post - glad the guide was helpful!

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 464 70.1%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 283 42.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 306 46.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 135 20.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 180 27.2%
Back