Poor Performance. Confused.

So im getting really poor performance only with the new tracks/cars. My PC i dont think is a slouch it can run ACC maxed out with absolutely no issues at well over 100fps but im struggling with rFactor2. It will start off fine, running 120fps+ then as more cars leave the garages and come on track that can drop to as low as 25fps.

Edit: It seems its due to graphics. Did a race on brands with the BTCC cars and race started fine. 90fps then 4 laps in it stuttered and started running below 30fps. Its not an issue with the card as all other games are running without any issues. GPU load in NZXT Cam were 98% for some reason.

PC specs are

Windows 10
i7 8700K 3.7Ghz (not been overclocked)
16GB RAM
Nvidia RTX 3070

Last edited:
I usually get slightly better performance with rF2 than ACC at the top range of settings. 25x14. Most settings set near the top, but rarely Ultra.settings. rF2 will vary more but the numbers you are getting seems like too much of a drop.
Are you using triple screens or VR? Windows will often choke the cpu if it thinks you are overheating it. You can choose a Power setting that prevents that from happening in the Windows settings. System>Power.
rF2 has just advanced to it's Q3 update. Make sure your system shows v1130 when loading a track.(lower right corner)
Also try reducing some of the new sounds. You can have up to 255 chanels but some systems have choked on that. Again, the latest Q3 update is supposed to help in that area.

I usually get slightly better performance with rF2 than ACC at the top range of settings. 25x14. Most settings set near the top, but rarely Ultra.settings. rF2 will vary more but the numbers you are getting seems like too much of a drop.
Are you using triple screens or VR? Windows will often choke the cpu if it thinks you are overheating it. You can choose a Power setting that prevents that from happening in the Windows settings. System>Power.
rF2 has just advanced to it's Q3 update. Make sure your system shows v1130 when loading a track.(lower right corner)
Also try reducing some of the new sounds. You can have up to 255 chanels but some systems have choked on that. Again, the latest Q3 update is supposed to help in that area.

Just been messing around and it seems to be an issue with msaa it had been set to 8x, dropped it to 2x and no longer getting the drop in performance. Also updated to latest nvidia drivers as hadn't realised I wasn't on the latest. I'm not using triple screens or vr just a 144hz 1440p monitor also noticed for some reason the refresh rate in nvidia control panel was set to 144hz but rf2 was set to 100hz so also changed that to 144hz. Only really seemed to happen with the btcc cars. If I used the i30n and the focus together it would be fine but if I added the toyota and infiniti to the grid too that's where I'd encounter issues.

Had the same sort of issue on my old pc with sebring and the gte cars but that was down to the fact the pc wasn't cut out to run the game at the settings I was using before using one of these newer higher detailed tracks.

Didn't know about being able to change how many sound channels there were with the new sound engine either so will look into that

I have the same cpu and it runs at 4.6 ghz. It's perfectly safe to run at this speed. So check in Task Manager under the performance tab and cpu option to check the speed your cpu is running at. If it's running at 3.7 ghz, this may explain why your having problems. The RTX 3070 only has 8gb of memory so you may also may be running out of GPU memory. Rf2 is quite GPU memory intensive. ACC does not use as much GPU memory as rF2. Hope this may be helpful. The new tracks are more system intensive than the older tracks.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea