Podium Wheelbase from Fanatec ... delay until 30/4 for pre-orders

MrPix

Project Immersion
Just got this email (ordered within first week of pre-order opening):
Dear Valued Customer,

Hereby we inform you that the shipping date for your order has been changed.
The estimated shipping date for P WB DD2 EU / Podium Wheel Base DD2 is 04/30/2019 now.

You will get an email confirmation as soon as the goods ships from the warehouse.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Best regards

FANATEC webshop

… gobsmacked, not even an apology let alone an explanation!

That's the part I don't understand about the pre-order. It's not like this is a limited edition DD. Pre-ordering ties up your cash for nothing but the ability to get the wheel a few weeks earlier than someone that waits until launch to order. The wheel is, like you said, nothing more than bribe. Even if I still wanted one, I'd cancel and reorder when they release.

I am not a big fan of the whole preorder thing either. Its just a way for companies to get what amounts to an interest free loan to develop a product that should have been done on their dime. I did not talk myself into the preorder of the DD1 until they announced it would have the DD2 motor in it. No extra torque from that but I figured a heavier duty motor would be less likely to have problems. I dont know what the problem is with it but considering that they wont release either one it is something big that should have been ironed out before they even put it up for preorder. I am still and probably always will be baffled at the prototype they showed in September of 2017. I know I asked this before but what exactly was that? How could they have a working prototype 16+ months ago and suddenly find a problem now?

I am done now and my Accuforce Pro should be here tomorrow so no more waiting. Time to play!!!

Upvote 0
I am not a big fan of the whole preorder thing either. Its just a way for companies to get what amounts to an interest free loan to develop a product that should have been done on their dime. I did not talk myself into the preorder of the DD1 until they announced it would have the DD2 motor in it. No extra torque from that but I figured a heavier duty motor would be less likely to have problems. I dont know what the problem is with it but considering that they wont release either one it is something big that should have been ironed out before they even put it up for preorder. I am still and probably always will be baffled at the prototype they showed in September of 2017. I know I asked this before but what exactly was that? How could they have a working prototype 16+ months ago and suddenly find a problem now?

I am done now and my Accuforce Pro should be here tomorrow so no more waiting. Time to play!!!

That's what I mean about it only being seen in operation in their controlled environment. Are those the same units, running the same software as the units being released?

Upvote 0
Some say
FAN A TEC

Some say
FA NA TEC

Again we see...
FA FUMBLES
FA SHAMBLES
FA CUSTOMER DISASTER
FA FREE WHEELRIM
FA CANCEL
FA FADING CONSUMER CONFIDENCE

Now we have....
FA CONSPIRACY
:)

There is a lot of FA FA FA with FANATEC but I still find their products appealing and I like Thomas and the company/brand. Just if only they could more often a proper do a product launch without issues. I want one but can I be satisfied with what I will eventually get and pay a FA LOT of money for?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Being first to use a product is not always the best experience. There's a reason, in the IT industry, one refers to being first as being on the "bleeding edge".;)

I agree and defended the potential the unique design these products would or could bring. At a time when little was known or while some others gave it little hope or chance in being as good or bettering the current DD Wheel offerings.

Its good to see Fanatec bring their own software and features but I have to agree that this hardware was shown last year as a working prototype at the Sim Conference and here we are over a year later and a perspond launch. Just when things were looking good with the community test/invite and this years Sim Conference.

I don't want bleeding edge if it brakes down 2 months in or ships with issues.
Fanatec highlighted this as an important aspect they also want to avoid but I cannot say community confidence appears high in that they will still achieve this or if even a further delay is needed to fix the problem whatever it is.

I think for several this is Fanatecs last chance at bringing out a serious piece of hardware like these wheels are that we can buy with confidence. If they mess this up with failures and issues personally I have to then stop giving them the benefit of the doubt. Regardless how much I like the brand, its people or the eco system it brings.

Each person to their own views or opinion, I am already scared to buy this to not face disappointment in returns or repairs etc and do feel the product needs at least 2 months of daily usage by multiple owners to actually prove to me or give me the confidence to buy one.

The question is when I weigh up all the pros/cons will I be prepared to wait or just cave in and buy one of the already recommended and reliable DD options. Quite a few people may be in the same situation?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree and defended the potential the unique design these products would or could bring. At a time when little was known or while some others gave it little hope or chance in being as good or bettering the current DD Wheel offerings.

Its good to see Fanatec bring their own software and features but I have to agree that this hardware was shown last year as a working prototype at the Sim Conference and here we are over a year later and a perspond launch. Just when things were looking good with the community test/invite and this years Sim Conference.

I don't want bleeding edge if it brakes down 2 months in or ships with issues.
Fanatec highlighted this as an important aspect they also want to avoid but I cannot say community confidence appears high in that they will still achieve this or if even a further delay is needed to fix the problem whatever it is.

I think for several this is Fanatecs last chance at bringing out a serious piece of hardware like these wheels are that we can buy with confidence. If they mess this up with failures and issues personally I have to then stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Setting aside the questions and concerns regarding the current production delays, I think I'd be less critical if the pricing were different. But they priced it above even the OSW. If you do that, then you need to deliver that level of product and service. If the DD2 was $750, I'd probably go ahead and order one. But at $1500... well, they have to prove it's better than an OSW first.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea