Skins Noob question about using the 'map' file when editing a skin:

I am probably 100% noob when it comes to creating a a custom skin so I've decided to copy and edit an existing skin because currently that looks like way less of a challenge for me than starting from scratch.

So far I've managed to successfully change the drivers name on the windows and the interior sticker and the color of the wheels using Gimp and Content Manager to view the changes in realtime but when it comes to making changes to the bodywork in the main 'body' file there is some black fading/shading around a lot of the paint I assume to create shadow and depth to the body so I can't just simply paint in a new color without it looking really bad. I see there is a file called 'map' (which I assume is Ambient Occlusion?) in the skin folder also which looks to be where the fading/shading is coming from somewhow so, can anyone explain to me in really simple terms (lol) how I can make changes to the 'body' file and then somehow apply that 'map' file to it to add in all the shadows?

Oh and also, when I initially open the skins folder, the .dds files have theumbnail previews of what they look like but after I've edited one and exported/overwritten the file the thumbnail preview is gone, I just get the normal Gimp logo icon, how can I fix that?

Last edited:
They both take the shading from the same source, which is a file that wouldn't be included in other skins (the blank white livery)

GIMP's dds exporter sucks, avoid at all costs, missing thumbnails is not its only issue.

Last edited:
So, do I even have to do anything with the map file when editing a livery?

This is zoomed in on one of the bodywork panels in the 'body' file, see it has the black shading on it:

When I paint it, it looks like this:

The 'map' file is in the skins folder:

IF I don't have to do anything to the map file when making edits to the body file i'm wondering why I can see the shading on the original body file but not after I've painted it?

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea