DiRT Rally 2.0 No engine breaking while brake pedal depressed??

Hi! Maybe it is a setup or realism problem, but I get no engine breaking while downshifting with the brake pedal depresed... is it normal? The only realistic reason I see it's because of lack of ABS and wheels lock? Help appreciated... :)

That is normal. Like in rwd car u can go from 6th gear at 200km/h(124mph) speed straight down to 1st gear without slowing down first and not get huge oversteer moment or engine brake (and some call it shiftlock), car will just go perfectly straight like diff is disconnected.

I guess it could be in the game but some acrade racers would be complaining "why my car gets out of control when doing this from 3rd-6th gear to 1st gear change without braking enough" -thing and affecting sales figures too much.
But nothing is preventing it to be option in settings to toggle ON/OFF. People who don't want/like the "engine brake/shiftlock" to happen could just get rid of it, but maybe it should be considered as an assist like TC, ABS, STM so for example club-event with assists disabled u can't use it.

Here I'm demonstrating it after time 8:30 in video (wanted to see if it causes any extra parts damage on hardcore damage but not really)

Last edited:
Hey.
I don't have a how or why, but I guess it has to do with the built in features found on the IRL rally cars.

My test was, get the fastest RWD cars in Dirt 2.0 and down shifted from 4th to 1st on tarmac. As seen in the video of Karik134. The engine rpm, remains very high and there is no engine breaking.
But since I only got my wheel set up past weekend. My skills are lacking and I crashed. When I wanted to get going again, I noticed it didn't matter if I depressed the clutch pedal. The car accelerted aither way.
Maybe these cars have a DSG or a sequential with a robotized clutch. That's the part I don't know. But it got me thinking.

So when I jumped in the RWD Sierra from the H3 series, I suddenly did have a clutch I could oparate. I could depress the clutchpedal mid corner and would lose RWD...
First good sign!
When I made it up to 5th and shifted back into 1st, guess what the car did!?
The rear wheels locked up, making the car uncontrolable and spinning me of the beautiful Spanish roads down a 30meter drop :cool: off course I kept my cool.

So there you have it, it's not the software or a setting. It's litterly because some cars are designed to handdle this IRL and Codemasters decided put that into the game.

TL,DR: Try an old car with a manual gearbox.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.